3028 Only Server?

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Battle Tech Eras (244 member(s) have cast votes)

I would play on a 3028 only Server with no Star League / 3050 / Clan tech

1. Yes (167 votes [68.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.44%

2. No (77 votes [31.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

I'm a level one snob, so absolutely.

I also really admire the Succession Wars, the superior outsider invaders hell-bent on conquering/killing us all is an all too common theme in stories. The whole "humans have always been power hungry greedy dicks and always will be" feels much more believable.

#42 Holyshoot

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationRussian

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

YES

#43 Cruxshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hmmm... 3025 stock only mechs and having to be in a house (no lonewolves, no mercs), no thanks. Being locked into a stock mech only until you get major rank and locked into one house.

#44 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Alot of extra work and divides the player base into two camps. Also destroys any day to day timeline which is supposed to be one of the features of MWO. Dividing the players is usually a bad idea.

Edited by Lightfoot, 03 June 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#45 Robovski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

No mercs indeed. Plenty of mercs around, they basically work for the Houses or the sad ones go out to the Periphery.

3028 would be my primary server - not to say I wouldn't play otherwise, but iffin I were to choose as it were...

#46 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostCruxshadow, on 03 June 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Hmmm... 3025 stock only mechs and having to be in a house (no lonewolves, no mercs), no thanks.

What exactly are you talking about ?

The very first Battletech novels featured the founding of Grayson Carlyles Gray Death Legion back in 3024. Other famous Merc Corps like the Eridani Light Horse or the Northwind Highlanders originate from earlier succession wars or even the Star League era.

@ Robovski

Plenty of mercs around, they basically work for the Houses

And who else should be able to pay them ? That's not different from 3049.

I certainly would love to play on a 3028 server. IMO, bringing the Clans back in was the greatest mistake PGI could possibly have made.

Edited by Oppi, 04 June 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#47 Cruxshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

View PostOppi, on 04 June 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

What exactly are you talking about ?

The very first Battletech novels featured the founding of Grayson Carlyles Gray Death Legion back in 3024. Other famous Merc Corps like the Eridani Light Horse or the Northwind Highlanders originate from earlier succession wars or even the Star League era.

My bad the MRB was founded 2789. So yes there were mercs.

#48 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostCruxshadow, on 03 June 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Hmmm... 3025 stock only mechs and having to be in a house (no lonewolves, no mercs), no thanks. Being locked into a stock mech only until you get major rank and locked into one house.

Also, what do you mean "3025 stock only mechs"?

You do realize that every single 'Mech we've seen so far has been a 3025 'Mech or a variant of one, right?

The only difference between a 3050 server and a 3028 one would be the absence of Star League uber-tech and the Clans.

#49 Gigaton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDieron District Gymnasium, learning to pilot 'Mechs until July

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

3028 would probably be my main server.

#50 Tarskin

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 90 posts
  • LocationDen Haag, Nederland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

I don't think that an entire server for the 3025 era would make sense. I do think that there can be a time-specific game mode, however much like they are trying to do with Historica Battles in World of Tanks (I know, I know... sorry for the comparison). You can only select the game mode if you have an appropiate mech kitted with approiate tech and you end up fighting other similiar kitted mechs.

EDIT: Damn you typo's

Edited by Tarskin, 04 June 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#51 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 03 June 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

It sounds like a lot of poeple want 3025 stuff, but they don't realize that 3049 is where all the guild-members and lone wolves can come together and play in the same Universe. Clan? Inner Sphere? Sure, both parties are welcome to play together in MW:O...

... but not in 3025. An old timeline server-base would have to be developed exclusively for those players, and would be somewhat exclusive. The whole point of MechWarrior: Online is to be inclusive and accessible... so what you're asking for would be a very, very long way in the future.

I think that is a MAJOR reason why a lot of us want a 3025 only server. We dislike the Clans, we dislike the tech jump, and we feel that it didn't add anything /GOOD/ to the game. Overpowered mechs driven by pilots who had a skill advantage? No thanks. Don't need that in PC hands at all.

Everytime I see someone wanting a Daishi or a Mad Cat it makes me a little more disgusted. My only hope is that Clans won't be PC faction when they are introduced and instead are part of the after launch PvE, or, are cash shop mech's for the inner sphere to buy.

Otherwise, Clan is /precisely/ why people want a 3025/28 server imho.

#52 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:07 AM

I'm old school and would prefer 3025 (or before) :), would be an interesting experience. I would like to see it at least done as a special event, maybe one that has different Era's of Battletech options now and then sure.

#53 Robovski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostOppi, on 04 June 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

@ Robovski

And who else should be able to pay them ? That's not different from 3049.

Well, exactly. I was saying that mercs would be around in 3025, in response to Cruxshadow who said no lone wolves, no mercs. They totally existed then and before, they just generally work for a House - or they end up in the Periphery...

#54 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

See, If you had said 3015, 3020 or 3024 I'd have said yes, because 3028 is where ~I'm sorry to say~ some of the stink starts to rise, in the form of the Federated Mary-suewealth and the gutting of 2 of the supposed major powers of the day; the capellans (Who lost the entirety of there industrial base and subsequently couldn't build anything bigger then a vindicator) and the draconis combine (Who lost 50 worlds to the lyrans who were suddenly amazing and only failed to take more because Theodore Kurita is amazing+1).

#55 Quentin Yatoki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe region of Mountain Pears in the land of the Rising Sun.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:41 AM

View PostAshla Mason, on 05 June 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

See, If you had said 3015, 3020 or 3024 I'd have said yes, because 3028 is where ~I'm sorry to say~ some of the stink starts to rise, in the form of the Federated Mary-suewealth and the gutting of 2 of the supposed major powers of the day; the capellans (Who lost the entirety of there industrial base and subsequently couldn't build anything bigger then a vindicator) and the draconis combine (Who lost 50 worlds to the lyrans who were suddenly amazing and only failed to take more because Theodore Kurita is amazing+1).

I think you're being overly nitpicky. I think the point of this topic is to gauge people's desire to play on a server with only level 1 tech and no clans, rather then the actions of canonical characters or factions.

#56 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

People who keep sitting on this idea are silly.

#57 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:05 AM

I wouldn't mind a seperate server for this sort of stuff for the following reasons:

- It's nice to sometimes play games with the far simpeler level 1 tech.
- It keeps the hardcore 3025 players happy, so they won't have to constantly remind us of how much they hate Clan tech in the 3050 server.
- 4th Succession war campaigns would be nice.

#58 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 05 June 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

... so they won't have to constantly remind us of how much they hate Clan tech in the 3050 server.
That's half the fun! :)

#59 Aerik Lornes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationAlshain , December 31st, 3078

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

If there were to be a 3028 only server/mode/whatever, it's all I'd ever play, even if I'd have to give up schooling clanners. But I'm not holding my breath.

#60 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

Theres little reason for this, as it would require them to deal with multiple timeline events, not to mention split the game community in two. It just doesnt make sense to do this on any level.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users