3028 Only Server?

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Battle Tech Eras (244 member(s) have cast votes)

I would play on a 3028 only Server with no Star League / 3050 / Clan tech

1. Yes (167 votes [68.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.44%

2. No (77 votes [31.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I would love to play on a dedicated server set around 3025. Star League tech, IMO, broke the balance that existed in the original game.

#22 Ratzap

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

I would start even earlier than 3028 but yeah, I'd much prefer such a server option.

#23 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

spoken form experience in the tabletop universe with all the 3025 whores.. i say no i would not level 1 tech is zombie and fun at times but its EXTREMELY BORING to play all the time theres like no variety...

#24 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

It sounds like a lot of poeple want 3025 stuff, but they don't realize that 3049 is where all the guild-members and lone wolves can come together and play in the same Universe. Clan? Inner Sphere? Sure, both parties are welcome to play together in MW:O...

... but not in 3025. An old timeline server-base would have to be developed exclusively for those players, and would be somewhat exclusive. The whole point of MechWarrior: Online is to be inclusive and accessible... so what you're asking for would be a very, very long way in the future.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 03 June 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#25 Stormdragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

This reminds me a lot of when FASA first introduced the Clans....a lot of the old timers went Apeshit I even had one call me a trator at Gencon because I said it looked cool.

Love Battletech but some of the purist are beyond the pale.

#26 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Just want to add that I want them to get the "main" server up and running, handle the whole clan bit etc and then work on something like this.

#27 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Playing in the 3020's? Yes please. In fact I would probably _primarily_ be playing in such a setting rather than the clan invasion era. Those who came up during the clan invasion and later might not like the lack of the more advanced tech, and I can understand that since it's what they've always been used to, but there are plenty of us old fossils who fondly remember a time when there were no Gauss rifles, ER weapons or the like, and when heat was an actual serious issue because there were no such things as double heatsinks.

#28 McDuff

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

I think it would be great to have servers for the 4th Succession wars era (3028-3030) and restricted to that era of technology for people to choose to fight in that era and there should be servers for 3049 and on to fight the upcoming clan invasion. I would hope that they would restrict it that the mechs you create for the Succession War are restricted to stay there, while you purchase different mechs with the updated Lostech from Helm that can be used on the 3049 servers and on only

#29 Graefin Zeppelin

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationHunting pirates at Sisyphus's Lament

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yes please.

#30 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

i hope the game has servers for different timelines and tech. i also hope for a stock mech only option.

#31 Phaid Knott

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Yup I'd probably stick to the old inner sphere stuff. Take me back to the old days of yore (and the boardgame). The later stuff just created an arms race where if you didn't have the latest and greatest you were toast.

#32 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Maybe just a playlist.

#33 White Yonder

• Pip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMy desk.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

To be quite honest. No.

Just because all of the stuff that worked in the Tabletop game doesn't mean it will work well as a successful action oriented video game. From what I can tell, this era lacks enough options for a game like this. Yes, restricting someone's options can make them play better with what they have, but that doesn't mean it is fun or enjoyable in any way (Of course, this depends on the person).

Personally, I understand the liking of the time period story-wise (To a limited degree). But for gameplay I think it would be too restrictive with equipment.

Edited by White Yonder, 03 June 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#34 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sure I would. But what I'd love to see is them implement brackets where if you wanted to play competitively you could restrict Tech/Chassis to certain eras.

Give you a whole nother dimension to use to make the game exciting.

#35 Quentin Yatoki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe region of Mountain Pears in the land of the Rising Sun.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostWhite Yonder, on 03 June 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

To be quite honest. No.

Just because all of the stuff that worked in the Tabletop game doesn't mean it will work well as a successful action oriented video game. From what I can tell, this era lacks enough options for a game like this. Yes, restricting someone's options can make them play better with what they have, but that doesn't mean it is fun or enjoyable in any way (Of course, this depends on the person).

Personally, I understand the liking of the time period story-wise (To a limited degree). But for gameplay I think it would be too restrictive with equipment.

I disagree. Nothing is stopping you from tweaking your loadouts. What it does do though is prevent the creation of boats or super specialized mechs due to the heat and weight issues. To be fair, 3025 would be alot less forgiving, but at the same time, the fact that it is less forgiving will make it a more challenging skill based game. Which also means that it's harder to grief or exploit the game. It would still be fun, you just need to think before you make a move. As for not having enough options, I think that people put to much emphasis of having tons and tons of options with out realizing how they will affect the gameplay. Sometimes simple is good.

With this said, even if 3025 was an option, I would also play on the 3049 server.

#36 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Mechwarrior is Mechwarrior no matter what time frame we are talking and I would play both.

That being said the 3025 timeframe would feel more like the hunter and the hunted, weapons carefully grouped or even Chained together to allow for heat, keeping your mech powered down in what you hope is a good ambush location that the scouts will hopefully lead the enemy into and the ability to keep a cool head and think on your feet.

3049 would provide a different playstyle, a more toe to toe feel with the chance of being able to carry enough weapons that you could Alpha strike and knock your target out of the game. It would have a higher "What a Rush" feeling as it would be much faster paced and it would be a little more forgiving in what weapons group you fired.

Either way, both have their uniqueness and individual feel about them and both would be just a fun for adaptable players.

#37 Arikiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Succession Wars Era would definitely be my preference.

#38 enc0re

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

If they made a hardcore 3025 server, or even just occasional tournament, I'd also lobby to have armor and internal armor be scaled back to its original amount. Make it old school and deadly.

Edited by enc0re, 03 June 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#39 SGT Puddles

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNewport News, VA, US, Terra

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

only voted no because star league caches should be around in 3028

#40 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostRoland, on 03 June 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

I certainly wouldn't ONLY play in 3025 servers, but I would probably check them out at least.

View PostRot Wulf, on 03 June 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

There is certainly a market for 3025'ish succession wars period, but it would double the work for the dev team to run two timelines at the same time.

IF they´d be availabe, i´d certainly try them, but they are no "must have" for me...i´ll play MWO anyway

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 03 June 2012 - 10:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users