55 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Read through this before raging against my point of view, please. You would expect the same.

I have been reading a lot in the threads of how a group of clan-oriented players are resurrecting THEIR Clan "whatever" for MW:O.

What I have been able to glean from the writings of PGI staff, the leadership of the major Factions will not likely be populated by players. If you are a PGI staffer and know otherwise, please give at least myself the skinny on this.

The reason behind this, if I intuit correctly, is to allow the major canon events to continue without interference by the players - the players who will be battling in scirmishes on the periphery of these major canon events. No changes in canon will occur, just minor battles between sub-elements of thos major factions.

Again, canon fiction will not change.

My personal interest is for the Clans, because as a Clan-oriented player, my favorite Clan - the Blood Spirits, will not show any time soon, if at all. The four invading Clans - Wolf, Ghost Bears, Smoke Jags and Jade Falcon will be represented during the initial invasion. If none of the major houses can be claimed by a player group (and probably major merc groups as well) then it would stand to reason that the Clans cannot be claimed by any one player group.

There is enough leeway in the canon units infrastructure and order orf battle to permit quite a few binaries and trinaries - remeber that galaxies are commanded by Bloodnamed Mechwarriros. (As far as I know, there are none yet in the MW:O game - if you come in with one, then you are being quite un-clan like. I am trying to get mine removed.)

If any group out there wants to claim a Clan for themselves, go ahead. However, I am sure there will be quite the urinary olympics over the attempt. I propose starting off establishing binaries and trinaries subordinate to specific Canon Clusters (under specific Galaxies) until the game progresses.

You can have a unit commander, an XO a loremaster and an oathmaster then several Stars comprising your trinaries/binaries.

I am not telling any of you "No, you cannot do what you want". I am just suggesting you, as adults, to play nice in the sandbox.

#2 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Considering that all canon factions and units are off-limits in-game (resulting in groups that have used canon faction or unit names in the past to rename themselves for MWO), it seems silly to me that people are fighting over who gets to be the 'real' Clan Whatever, when in all likelihood the canon Clans and units will be just as off-limits as the Spheroid factions and units.

I don't care how long you've been Clan Whatever ("Well I ran Clan Whatever in a MechNet Group Back in '95!") - the fact remains that canon units and factions are going to be off-limits, so you might as well get used to renaming yourself now instead of when the admins force the change on you in a year or so when the Clans are added to the game.

#3 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostGendou, on 03 June 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

I don't care how long you've been Clan Whatever ("Well I ran Clan Whatever in a MechNet Group Back in '95!") - the fact remains that canon units and factions are going to be off-limits, so you might as well get used to renaming yourself now instead of when the admins force the change on you in a year or so when the Clans are added to the game.

I feel a storm coming...........

#4 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

The Clans will be factions just like the Successor States are now.

#5 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

My hypothesis: any player can start a player group like a merc group, only access to clan tech, then like there are 'loyalty' points for houses, the player group picks a clan to earn LP for, perhaps gaining them more mechs specific to that clan. <shrugs> that's all I got. But I also don't see a firestorm over this, especially if the IS section is any indicator.

Edited by Aaron DeChavilier, 03 June 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#6 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

It seems logical that no one group of players should be able to lay claim to a major Faction/Group/etc from lore.

Not that one cannot or should not be able to be a part of a preferred clan or faction, but it would be fairly unmanageable if the developers would have to sort out just who would get to be "Clan ____ or Faction ____."

Allowing players to represent smaller units within a clan or faction strikes me a as a good compromise.

#7 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Seems to me that the problem isn't laying stake to Clan names for your own personal organization, it's people like you stirring the nest so that others begin to bicker who deserves what and who shouldn't be using what.

It's a video game. Clan Wolf is part of the BT books. Having a clan named Clan Wolf or what have you is no different than it was in any online MechWarrior game. You aren't canon, so no one should give a hoot what you're doing in the privacy of your own group.

It doesn't matter what our tags will look like in the game. People will still be able to form their own clans using canon names, if they want to. You won't see me arguing with another Clan Wolf. We're both non-canonical Clans existing in peace and harmony, with our separate websites, members, and structures.

I think you need to get your panties out of that wad, since you know, you've been bashing this on three different threads now.

Edited by cw roy, 03 June 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#8 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostGendou, on 03 June 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Considering that all canon factions and units are off-limits in-game (resulting in groups that have used canon faction or unit names in the past to rename themselves for MWO), it seems silly to me that people are fighting over who gets to be the 'real' Clan Whatever, when in all likelihood the canon Clans and units will be just as off-limits as the Spheroid factions and units.

Yes it is that simple especially in an MMO which takes a whole different presence on the web. The older players, most mech fans being adults according to votes statistics, should behave or risk having a negative effect on new mech warriors who are young. Possibly children new to MMO.

I hope they seriously keep on top of this and prevent those power hungry gamers that go on a power trip from making very close variations plus using financial resources to stand out in a big way online as if they are the official said Merc Corps. I'm a web developer and I can see a few ways for someone to make money from making such a domain with a good website and marketing.

They have to be ready to send warnings about such efforts that blur the lines. Players are ripping the franchise of by trying to adopt what they do not own or have the rights to effect in any way.

Edited by GHQCommander, 03 June 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#9 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

I don't see how one can become power hungry when there is no real power to be had. These aren't slave robots joining clans, they are people that each have a brain.

As for money scams -- those are out there, but who is going to form a Clan in likeness to the canonical, work on it and their site hard enough, recruit so many members, just to come up with some poor ploy of getting people's stuff? I could see people getting fake e-mails asking to verify their login information, like Runescape's e-mail scams that still go out, but nothing beyond that.

This thread was made for the sillies.

Edited by cw roy, 03 June 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#10 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

View Postcw roy, on 03 June 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

It's a video game. Clan Wolf is part of the BT books. Having a clan named Clan Wolf or what have you is no different than it was in any online MechWarrior game. You aren't canon, so no one should give a hoot what you're doing in the privacy of your own group.

Actually, it's quite different from previous 'Mech games.
This is not a Lobby Shooter like MW3/MW4 Multiplayer or MWLL or Quake, with a bunch of free-form 'gaming clans.'

It's closer to MPBT 3025 in that there are official, supported factions being handled by the staff of the game.
Sure, there will be Mercenary Companies, but those will fall under their own ruleset and naming conventions.

You can't name your Merc company "Grey Death Legion" or "Wolf's Dragoons" or "Kell Hounds."
You can't name your House company "1st Lyran Guards" or "Crucis Lancers" or "Sword of Light."
And you can't name your Clan group "Clan Wolf" or "Clan Jade Falcon" or "Clan Diamond Shark."

Well, I guess you can if you really want to, but the name won't pass muster in-game and you'll end up having to call yourselves something different when you register your group officially. Which is, ultimately, your prerogative, but it seems a waste of time and effort to defend your group as being "Clan Wolf" when "Clan Wolf" will eventually be an official faction and you'll have to change your name in the end if you want to play MWO as a group.

Edited by Gendou, 03 June 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#11 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

@Gendou

The timeframe and whatnot doesn't matter. Your opinions and views do not matter to us. Yes, you can name your group whatever you want to. You can also have your own websites and members. Members can coordinate to play however they want to, in whatever sense they want to. The Devs have not complained about this -- only petty, **** people.

Hopefully people can understand what lies beneath those asteriks is not cursing, and that it's just the curse filter filtering out a legitimate word of the English language.

P.S. We never defended ourselves as the one true Clan Wolf. We're doing our own thing. It's time this community starts minding its own business instead of thinking they are the almighty word.

Edited by cw roy, 03 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#12 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

View Postcw roy, on 03 June 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

The timeframe and whatnot doesn't matter. Your opinions and views do not matter to us. Yes, you can name your group whatever you want to. You can also have your own websites and members. Members can coordinate to play however they want to, in whatever sense they want to. The Devs have not complained about this -- only petty, **** people.

Actually, the whole point is the Devs have unequivocally stated that Canon Units will not be allowed as player-run organizations, and that goes for Clans too. That's what I've been saying all along.

#13 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostGendou, on 03 June 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Actually, the whole point is the Devs have unequivocally stated that Canon Units will not be allowed as player-run organizations, and that goes for Clans too. That's what I've been saying all along.

Actually, what you're not getting is that it doesn't matter to us. If Clan Wolf USA is not acceptable to them, then we simply won't wear tags in-game. We'll still have a website and members, with the same structure, trials, and bloodrights. We can look like whatever in-game while still doing our own thing. Get it yet?

Edit* I realize I'm being snippy, but after being harrassed quite a bit elsewhere and seeing so many people stick their noses where only the Devs' belong gets annoying after a while. Especially when the same people that participate in second-guessing your every decision follow your unrelated threads to argue the same point over again, and then make other threads related to the topic.

Edited by cw roy, 03 June 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#14 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postcw roy, on 03 June 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Actually, what you're not getting is that it doesn't matter to us. If Clan Wolf USA is not acceptable to them, then we simply won't wear tags in-game. We'll still have a website and members, with the same structure, trials, and bloodrights. We can look like whatever in-game while still doing our own thing. Get it yet?

As I said, that's your prerogative. You can do as you will. If you want to play the game as a bunch of lone wolves rather than as an organized group, that is entirely up to you.

It just seems, to me, to be a waste of time and effort to call yourselves something that is already a canon name. All of the time and energy you're spending on stubbornly clinging to a history you created for another game could be spent creating a new history for yourselves in this game. You could form a mercenary group and call yourselves Wolf USA or something, or you could wait for the actual Clan Wolf proper to be added to the game and join en masse then.

But that's just my personal opinion. If you want to insist on calling yourself "Khan of Clan Wolf" and refusing to join a faction or form a company because you have a better one made up in your head, that is entirely up to you.

#15 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Why would I join a faction or form a company when I can follow my own personal preferences? Tell me how we will be playing as Lone Wolves if we recruit enough active members. Really, you're just being a baby because someone isn't following things the way you want them to be.

For example: I love in the United States of America. I just used USA in my Clan Wolf name. Oh, darn, the USA currently exists and is canonical. It looks like I'll have to take that out of the name. Phooey.

Whine all you want, kids, it won't change a thing. The Devs have final say, and no matter what happens we'll be an active group. As long as we're blowing up your 'Mechs it won't make a difference.

Anyway, if Clans are playable and people can join en masse, what does it matter if we're using the name before that? It would be coming anyway, in that case. Does it bother you so much that a group of people you'll never have to deal with is doing what they want? That's really pathetic.

And it's not about us being better. That's why you don't see us spouting "We are the true Clan Wolf." You don't see us arguing with clanwolf.org about them wanting to use the name in the future. You don't see us whining that the Clans might be coming as a playable faction. You can see in other posts of mine where we offer to cooperate with other Clan Wolf groups out there, or the perhaps playable faction in the future. In my post you can even see where I say that even though we would probably be viewed as a Star or Cluster, we would stillc cooperate, continue doing our own thing, and not caring what other people think. It's when you're so belittling and judgemental that it really gets under my skin.

[REDACTED]

#16 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

I can't tell if you genuinely can't understand what I'm saying (perhaps I'm not communicating clearly enough?) or if you're being purposefully obtuse because you disagree with the developers but don't want to acknowledge it. Either way, I don't see a point in continuing this conversation. If you want to continue name-calling in order to have the last word, feel free.

#17 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I made my points. You failed to rebuttal and added an insult in while egging me on to throw in a 'childish insult' a.k.a. name calling. Anyone with eyes can see that you're not making yourself look any better than anyone else.

'Disagree with the developers' That's funny, where'd you get that from? You can see in the above post where I say it is up to the Devs what happens to Clan Wolf USA in-game, and not people like you.

Edited by cw roy, 03 June 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#18 Krosslite

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I am a member of Clan Ghost Bear (http://www.clan-ghost-bear.com/) which was formed before the ADL. I joined during the ADL days and I am still a memeber to this day.

I beblieve I can speak for my group and state that we will most likely just join up to the GB when it is available to us.

It is just like another Guild/Fleet/Group/Club. If we can work it out to be seperate galxaies in the Clan Ghost Bear umbrella. The more the better. I know that the my group will be there. Me I don't know yet. Still waiting for more content to appear.

#19 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yes, that sounds all well and sweet, but you cannot expect the galaxies to matter in a massive, multi-thousand man Clan. There would be no sort of order, other than people following their friends and personal Clansmen. There is nothing beneficial to it, except for removing the stigma that gains harrassment around here of using a Khan and Sa' Khan in your group. But I've read that it's okay to have LoreMasters and such.

So people are allowed to form their group all the way up to the status of a full fledged clan, minus two measley ranks. Yeah, that's not going to make a difference.

If anything, in a Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game that uses canonical groups for every single thousands of persons that want to join, it should be encouraged to form your own version of the Clan or Merc unit. Why wouldn't you want your gameplay experience personalized 100% Is a Warrior going to follow a Star Captain that he's never met before? Probably not.

Edited by cw roy, 03 June 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#20 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

Excuse me? Clan Wolf, was a part of Mechwarrior 2 thank you very much. Also part of the cartoon iirc. I would wager your unit will get a forced name change once the clans come out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users