Community Warfare Clarity (P2P/f2P) - Feedback

342 replies to this topic

#61 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

First of all, I can understand how problematic it can be to post on the forums using a smart phone - would be great if there was an app for that:p

Second, depending on the format I think I'm ok with premium time or some such for private events. There are some "grudges" I'd get premium time to settle... Looking at you FERRET! ;)

#62 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

If we decided to launch Private Matches, they will likely require a Premium Account to cover costs of hosting a match on our hardware.

Translation, by making 3rd party leagues cost prohibitive players will play our implementation of community warfare and we won't have totally wasted the development time and costs.

GG PGI, well thought out.

#63 Blair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for posting this, Bryan. And thank you for pointing out, in no uncertain terms, that the response of some of the vocal minority was completely unacceptable. I find it sickening the sense of entitlement that some players seem to have, and the way they're willing to treat the passionate, dedicated people working on this game disgusts me.

You're absolutely right that they do not represent the mainstream view. You keep doing what you think is right. Your team may not be perfect, but I've never doubted for a second that what you do, you do for the love of the franchise, and out of a desire to bring the best possible game to the fans, while still being a profitable company the game can continue to exist, because this isn't a charity.

Keep being awesome.

#64 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 08 April 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Translation, by making 3rd party leagues cost prohibitive players will play our implementation of community warfare and we won't have totally wasted the development time and costs. GG PGI, well thought out.

Yeah, private matches need a cost. RHOD is fine as long as PGI isn't subsidizing it for free. I mean entry fees should go to PGI which is basically what this is doing, you can always buy 1 day at a time on tourny days.

#65 Oxyclean

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts

View PostWardenWolf, on 08 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

If it was a straight "cash-for-Premium" thing then I could see including some MCs in there, but as it is the way to buy Premium time is with MCs... so having it give you MCs back is sort of counter-intuitive (my not just reduce prices by that amount of MCs?). They are already giving a 50% boost to C-bill earnings, so there isn't much point in a C-bill stipend either.

The idea would be to offer a proper subscription option, that charges you 15$-20$ a month for a "premium account" which then grants you "premium time" and an allowance of MC- I imagine this would have to be enough to do something with, but not so much that you're never picking up MC on the side. Basically the system would be designed to reward people who commit in some way.

The option to buy MC then buy premium time would likely still be avalible and aimed at people who want it in smaller increments.

Also, I hope at the very least for private matching the consider lowering the requirement to the match starter having premium, and optional for everyone else.

#66 Parnage Winters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 414 posts

Heh, yeah making private matches premium time only is a great way to not only tick people off but nickle and dime the consumer of your product. If you can't afford to eat the costs of some private matches going on your servers I fear for the game making it to release.

#67 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

"If we decided to launch Private Matches, they will likely require a Premium Account to cover costs of hosting a match on our hardware."

any explanation about 'private match'? Is this like 'create a room, wait for selected friends or random people to join the game, fill the slots, start the game' match?

Edited by Dataman, 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#68 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well thanks for the post. But I do believe if you had been more open from the start and not a complete 100% information black out on clans, community warfare and other content that the backlash wouldn't have been so severe.

There's one thing to discuss hard details that may change, it's a completely different thing to explain your vision for it. Which is what you did in the interviews you had. Once that second interview came to light the uproar died down because while it had no "solid" information on CW it gave us the idea your trying to reach.

Also it is definitely unacceptable for anyone to be threatened over this.

#69 Neozero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thank you for the clarification on this issue. I would like to point out however that WoT CW allows free players to compete with their respective units for territory that grants them the equivalent of our MC daily while they hold the land. It is then given to the teams bank and the team distributes as warranted.

While I understand your need to make money I feel that a 1 time start up fee is a good and prudent choice, I even support the min pilot count as well I would however not support MC only factions or access to matches unless they are tournaments in nature and have significant MC rewards for the winners.

Thank you again for the update keep up the hard work on CW and I know my team is foaming at the mouth to finally have some sort of objective play beyond the 1 match smash and grind.

#70 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostParnage, on 08 April 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Heh, yeah making private matches premium time only is a great way to not only tick people off but nickle and dime the consumer of your product. If you can't afford to eat the costs of some private matches going on your servers I fear for the game making it to release.

Why would you expect this service for free? I want private matches, but I see their point and am more than willing to throw a reasonable fee at them for it.

Edited by Jetfire, 08 April 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#71 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm cool with this. I have no issues paying money to setup a merc unit. I'll need more details about the private matches.

#72 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 08 April 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I don't mean to be picky or something, but how come you can post something on Twitter, but can't log in to your MWO page account and post something here too?

Theirs a phone app for twitter, there isn't a phone app for the mechwarrior forums.

#73 Kwibl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

I don't quite understand the justification for charging more for private matches than for the random match making. As units keep saying, we want to throw money at you, give us stuff that we will throw money at you for, don't deny us the stuff we want to pay for (unit colours, unit decals) and then start taxing us and not the rest of the player base on more basic features.

You're marketting your monetisation of CW terribly. I wouldn't mind if we had to pay for dropships, barracks/mechbays (extra member capacity), but so far the impression i've gotten is that not only are we a minority for PGI in terms of feedback/relevance, we're going to be the most artificially monetised demographic. We want excuses to give you money (cool mechs, customised paint schemes that we can design), we don't particularly enjoy the idea of paying for stuff we consider to be core mechanics, such as private lobbies, particularly when that stuff is built on a subscription system rather than a micro transaction system.

Give us more microtransactions that we actually want to buy (please, please, create a poll/feedback thread for stuff people -want- to buy, and what prices they would pay), don't try to introduce subscription systems. Hell, if you need to charge for it, make CW a paid-for expansion pack so that it's a one off buy the same as previous MW games, to get the same functionality as previous MW games.

#74 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostJetfire, on 08 April 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I think the goal would be to make subs available for $$$ not MC

the goal is very much unclear to us as is to them, and frankly ... I do not understand why give an interview if you "have nothing to say" ??
if you have to make a step and not sure how to proceed, don't yell to the world it's "wet"

#75 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 321 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

First let me say I'm sure we all appreciate you guys bringing mechwarrior back from the dead. But I can say that must of the crying would stop if you gave us the ability to.play with our friends rather then john q public . Even if it requires a premium account . It will stop most of the aimbot topics , weight topics and elo issues.. get this into the game soon and people will be more willing to wait longer for features then they currently are.

#76 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

It would make sense if one person would have premium time to "foot the cost" as it were for the league matches. That probably would be amenable to most I'd think.

However, if you expect ALL PLAYERS to have premium time, it won't work. Why not create some sort of "half premium" version of it for private matches? All you'd need to is to reduce the bonuses (as they are irrelevant) and make it affordable... like have it for 50MC per day. It is the same cost as the 3050 display, so I don't see that as a major drain on people.

Those are the only two options that make this viable. Otherwise, it is a sad moneygrab that not everyone is interested in participating in.

#77 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Premium-time for private matches is a somewhat bad idea. Just limit the usage of private matches to no XP & C-Bills gain. If PGI would implement this, nobody would play private matches more that they are neccessary. The amount of private matches will be limited to less than 1% of all matches, which is something PGI could affort in regards of a feature, that will lead to more active players and thus more income.

What I'm saying: If PGI would implement this feature for free, they will get more active players and the income at the end of the line will be higher than charging people to play private matches. If you do not want a server load due to private matches, build in the option for a private host for a game, if the increased costs should be the problem. (Which I don't believe)

I will not pay for private matches, thats for sure.

#78 Thomas Alderman

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to all the awesome content that is to come.

#79 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

some people deserve a little spank sessionfrom time to time, to learn some behaviour... obviously

#80 sj mausgmr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Honestly guys, your going to be charging $12.50 for a bit of extra functionality in this game, which is an equivalent cost to a modern MMO. Now, whilst this comes with some extra benefits reward-time wise, I question if the level of extra benefit your going to provide for these players is going to be comparable.

I have hopes for extra content for CW, but is it going to turn MWO into an MWO? I hope so, with those costs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users