23 replies to this topic

#1 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Reasons to buff the MG.

1. Light mechs need something for the ballistic slot.
2. MGs currently do 1/3 the damage of light lasers (which are already underutilized and rarely used effectively)
3. MGs have horrendous range.
4. MG damage is spread
5. Critical component only accounts for 1/3 of a mech's health and is a bad balancing mechanic.
6. By the time a MG begins to crit a component. a light laser already killed the enemy mech. DESTORYING ALL OF ITS COMPONENTS.
7. Speaking from a realism point, the MG weighs 1.5 tons. And is not the same machine gun we use today. This much heavier machine gun is used by mechs against mechs.
8. MG predated infantry and vehicles in Battletech
9. They deal 2 damage per turn vs. mechs in TT. That's the same as an AC2, with (a lot) less range. - Barghest Whelp

Reasons not to:

6 MG spiders.
3 second jenners?

Edited by Tennex, 10 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#2 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

7. MG predated infantry and vehicles in Battletech

#3 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thread title is a question. First post is the answer. I am liek totally confused now.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

because .4 damage per every 10 bullets... rhymes with what this is. A MG should do about the same damage as a small laser or SRM2.

#5 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostForestGnome, on 10 April 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

3. 6 MG's can take out an atlas in less than 60 seconds at full armor. That is ridiculous.

and 6 small lasers can do it in 30 seconds from a longer range and without spreading damage. whats your point?

do you see small laser jenners dropping atlases in 3 seconds?

Edited by Tie Ma, 10 April 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#6 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

View PostTennex, on 10 April 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

6 MG spiders.
3 second jenners?

lol

#7 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Inbefore lock and redirect to MG thread.

#8 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostTie Ma, on 10 April 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

and 6 small lasers can do it in 30 seconds from a longer range and without spreading damage. whats your point?

do you see small laser jenners dropping atlases in 3 seconds?

6 small lasers don't require 100% uptime.

#9 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostForestGnome, on 10 April 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

But they were mounted on mechs as anti-infantry.

before infantry ever existed...

View PostYokaiko, on 10 April 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

6 small lasers don't require 100% uptime.

the 6 MG test was run on a jagermech.
Small mechs cannot mount 6 MGs.

and if we want to use the bigger mech as a reference;
6 small lasers DO have 100% uptime on a stalker

Edited by Tie Ma, 10 April 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#10 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

10 shots per second are incredibly damaging to the environment (brass everywhere, carbon emissions from the powder, mercury from the primer, etc.). If we made them more powerful, we'd have to up the depleted uranium content leading to environmental catastrophe for the out of the way backwaters we battle on over and over.

Think of the butterflies!

#11 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostForestGnome, on 10 April 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

So wait, are we stuck on 2500 now? I'm pretty sure time moves forward, infantry appears, and things like the LOCUST start coming about with MG's designed to mow down militia.

In fact, i KNOW time moves forward because now it is 3050.

if you used your brain for logic you'd realize that MGs could not possibly be meant for only infantry. if it was created before infantry was ever created.

furthermore, if you wanted an effective MG for infantry you'd mount a 0.015 ton machinegun that we have today. you woudln't need a 1.5 ton machinegun

Edited by Tennex, 10 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#12 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

1 is designed to hurt mechs, the other isn't.

Riddle me this: In a game where we only fight other Mechs, why do we bother having a weapon that isn't designed to hurt Mechs?

#13 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

1. MG's have never really been effective at anything against a mech in any battletech universe ever.

Sorry, I stopped reading there.

1. They deal 2 damage per turn vs. mechs in TT. That's the same as an AC2, with (a lot) less range.

2. Don't remeber the name of it, but there was a 12 MG mech released for solaris.

3. Solaris is Mech vs. Mech combat only. There is no infantry.

4. MG was in BT TT before infantry.

5. MWO will never have infantry acording to the devs.

6. Because of 5, MG either need to be effective vs. Mechs, or they need to be removed from the game.

7. What else are light mechs supposed to put in their balistics HP? Should we speed up the timline to the point where we can introduce the half ton mini gauss and the light AC's? I'm all up for that. Can't wait till all the cool stuff is introduced to this game.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

#14 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

3. 6 MG's can take out an atlas in less than 60 seconds at full armor. That is ridiculous.

Damn. :D

#15 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

But they were mounted on mechs as anti-infantry.

Ok, then we might as well put anti-pink elephant guns on our mechs, because whohoo! Here's another thing that doesn't exist that we sorely need a weapon to defend ouselves against.

#16 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostForestGnome, on 10 April 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I run a cicada with 1 large pulse laser and 4 MG's, along side a buddy with a raven that takes 2 MG's. We take legs off mechs in seconds. It is ridiculous. MG's are wicked powerful as is.

Also, if they were buffed to the level of the small laser, everyone would QQ that the small laser was ****, because it was only as good as the MG.

whoah hold your horses nobody says the MG needs to be as good as the small laser.

right now its only 0.4 dps to small laser's 1.0 dps. there is a lot of room for improvment without being as good as the small laser.

#17 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

If this data is correct it means that i could solo 15(fifteen) DDCs over the course of 1 match. :D NERF NAO!

#18 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

View PostBudor, on 10 April 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

If this data is correct it means that i could solo 15(fifteen) DDCs over the course of 1 match. :D NERF NAO!

people shouldnt take that out of context. the video was done with the atlas standing still at 60m away from the atlas. shooting at its back CT.

it was done on a 6 MG jagermech. without a comparison to a 6 small laser stalker.

no small mechs can mount 6 mgs... not even the cicada.

Edited by Tennex, 10 April 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#19 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

... MG's are wicked powerful as is.

OMG. Are we playing the same game?

edit - I just checked my stats, and clearly, we must not be playing the same game.

MACHINE GUN 30 (matches) 4,292 (fired) 2,450(hit) 57.08% (hit %) 02:56:04 (total time) 114 (total damage)

Edited by malibu43, 10 April 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#20 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I run a cicada with 1 large pulse laser and 4 MG's, along side a buddy with a raven that takes 2 MG's. We take legs off mechs in seconds. It is ridiculous. MG's are wicked powerful as is.

Also, if they were buffed to the level of the small laser, everyone would QQ that the small laser was ****, because it was only as good as the MG.

Also, again, they really cannot be removed from the game. They are default weapons on a bunch of mechs. If they were removed, everyone would cry about it. How about, if you think it is weak, and are not skilled enough to use it, how about you just don't use it?

I don't. But I would like to. And the fact that you need two mechs to take off the leg of another just further proves my point. SL does the job way better at less tonnage. Try doing it sans the LPL, then come back here and tell me how OP MG's are. The very fact that you even have a LPL on there just further stipulates my point.

Here's a hint: it's not the MG's taking off the legs, it's the LPL. I use LPL's, and I know how awsome they are at taking down lights.

Check your stats page. Check how much damage you've actually done with the MG's. Now compare that with any other weapon and tell me again how great MG's are in their current implementation.

I no, I've never even tried MG's because I don't need to. The first time I heard the sound of MG's in MWO I panicked, only to find out that there was absolutely no reason to panic. Now I just laugh when people fire MG's at me. Sometimes I even type "that tickles" in chat to prove how futile their attempts at hurting me are.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users