108 replies to this topic

#1 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I've been playing since the old closed beta days, and I'm still amazed at how quiet people are. I regularly type out a friendly "Good Hunting" or "Good Luck, Have Fun" to everyone, and seldom get a reply from the opposition or even my own team.

If it wasn't for socialization with my guild, I'd have dropped this game long ago. The community is just absurdly anti-social.

#2 Megalosauroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

I tend not to reply to it just because its a pointless nicety. If you actually type something with some substance people are more likely to reply.

#3 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Welcome to the internet friend, where saying nothing is usually the best option compared to the stream of abuse you get in other mmos.

#4 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I always say GL HF. It's automatic. It means nothing. It's stupid. I really don't care if the other team loses or not. They don't know that, they think I'm just being nice. It takes way too long to type something instead of just speaking into your microphone to your team on TeamSpeak. That's why nobody types.

Edited by Team Leader, 14 April 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#5 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I wonder what would you say about the MOBA game communities then. This one is quite friendly compared to those in my experience. <_<

#6 c0mbatphil

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Type nonsense. It usually gets people talking. I have my own battlecry that usually loosens things up a bit. Of course there's always Schwartzenegger and Full Metal Jacket quotes.

#7 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I think probably, 75-80% of my games has at least 1 guy start with a "GLHF" and some other guy go "u2" or something like that.

That being said, if I say anything to open up, it's usually to spam the worst/most random lyric in whatever song I'm currently listening to, even if it's in response to someone saying hello.

Edited by Soy, 14 April 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#8 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

i always type something at start of match. what i type depends on my mood... sometimes its nice, sometimes its trollish and sometimes its just plain evil <_<

nice: "hi hi", "gl ppl", "i luv this map", "stick together", "lets win this", etc etc.
trollish: "imma rush cap your base" (makes them paranoid and turtle up, works well on large maps)
evil: "shutup and die", "DIE DIE DIE!!", "gawd my team sucks ****", "GG close"

Edited by Lokust Davion, 14 April 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#9 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

The biggest lack of courtesy in chat is when people start spamming GG when the game ends 8 - 0. That's not a good game, that's a sign that ELO needs to be fixed.

#10 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Greeting and good luck are lost techs, and has not been recovered since :D

View PostShadowbaneX, on 14 April 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

The biggest lack of courtesy in chat is when people start spamming GG when the game ends 8 - 0. That's not a good game, that's a sign that ELO needs to be fixed.

I type gg in all good match either it 8-0 or 0-8. It means that you have given me a good game <_<. ELO cant't fix anything if people don't work together. ELO can't rank that type of cooperation. When my team loses, only my team and myself to be blamed.

Edited by Sheraf, 14 April 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#11 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 14 April 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

If I could whine about one thing for hours on end about this game, it's that, regardless of which side I'm on.

Edited by Soy, 14 April 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#12 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I was in a mission two nights ago where our self appointed lance commander (It's fine by me) just kept saying CAP, don't engage, just CAP. We lost the mission because most of us engaged the enemy and at the end He or She came back with "I told you we should have Capped".

Seriously, I only talk to my Lance on the Chatline and normally start off with something like "AMS Online" or "LBX10 Scattershot locked and loaded". One alternative that I used to use in Assault missions was "Defend or Assault?" this one normally got a response from someone in the Lance, and 9 times out of 10 I would go with the response.

#13 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'm playing MWO for the stompy mech battles. Exchanging pleasantries ruins the mood.

#14 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostFunkyFritter, on 14 April 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I'm playing MWO for the stompy mech battles. Exchanging pleasantries ruins the mood.

You can yell something in the All chat like

I WILL KILL YOU ALL

That helps keep the mood going, at least type something <_<

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

To be honest, everyone types "GL;HF". It's so common it's almost annoying. If you truly want to break the ice, type something a bit more original.

#16 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostNRP, on 14 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

To be honest, everyone types "GL;HF". It's so common it's almost annoying. If you truly want to break the ice, type something a bit more original.

You can say "you too", to improve your relationship with the enemies, and they might be less likely to hit you later on <_<

#17 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

if i see "gl hf" in pug then i know we are probably facing some tryhard premade.

#18 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 14 April 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

if i see "gl hf" in pug then i know we are probably facing some tryhard premade.

That means I should type "gl hf" in every match to induce the fear of premade to the other team, which will demoralize them a bit <_<

#19 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostSheraf, on 14 April 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

That means I should type "gl hf" in every match to induce the fear of premade to the other team, which will demoralize them a bit <_<

i do it sometimes when i'm pugging alone hoping for a similar response.

Edited by Stoicblitzer, 14 April 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#20 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Honest answer? I hate the chat. it's poorly implemented. In the pre-match-screen and when you're dead, "All" is the standard which is just stupid. When you've typed something in and realize you hit the wrong button - "All" instead of "Team" - you cannot hold backspace to erase the message. Or when you type something and the chat swallows the message when you die, or at the start of the match when the mech startup sequence plays.

BUT THE BEST PART IS that, since open beta, the chat does not support people who use a joystick (or in my case a throttle). Whenever I open the chat, my mech stops dead. And that is the main reason I keep quiet for the most part.

If PGI ever fixes that, expect more chatter from players with joystick / throttle or otherwise more chatter because it works better in general.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users