Spider Build

52 replies to this topic

#1 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with some decent builds for the spider that they may like to share. As for me, I've finished using the V, which I had decked out with 2 medium pulse lasers, an xl engine, and extra armor. Sadly, my D is pretty much the same as the V, but replaces some Jump with the ECM. Both of those are okay, but nothing to write home about. The variant that's really bothering me is the K. I've tried a medium laser and 4 machine guns. I've even worked things out so I could try an AC/2 (as my only weapon), and another build with an AC/5. Both AC builds can actually get more damage per match than I had with the machine guns, but I haven't won a match since making that trade. I could really use some assistance so I can tolerate my K until I don't need it anymore.

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

The K has no viable build. It has a couple that are semi-viable, but it's really hampered by those ballistic slots and the sorry state of the MG.

You can try ERLL + 4xMG, or AC/2 + ML, or even AC/2 + ERLL, but basically the K is gimp until the devs get their thumb out and buffs the MG.

Note: The two first builds can be tweaked by adding Endo-steel for 1.5 tons to play with.

Edited by stjobe, 15 April 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#3 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think the best loadout for K is 1ERLL+4MG's. Core with ERLL and disable stuff with 4MG if necessary.

#4 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostTahribator, on 15 April 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think the best loadout for K is 1ERLL+4MG's. Core with ERLL and disable stuff with 4MG if necessary.

That's the problem; it's never necessary. One could easily argue that the 3 tons needed for 4MG+ammo could be put to better use as e.g. AMS+ammo+0.5 tons armour, or three heat sinks, or just about anything else than the MGs.

#5 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

In terms of on-paper efficiency, yes, putting that tonnage into AMS may be more useful. Though, I find MG's to be extremely distracting to the enemies and use it as kind of a psychological weapon. Occasional weapon disables are also useful.

#6 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yeah but you gotta admit, Machine Guns sound really cool. Honestly though, this disappoints me. I really wanted to like the K version best. I had been really looking forward to using machine guns. The best thing I can say about them though, is that they're not flamers. (I think that's an up-side.. I haven't used flamers much.)

#7 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostTahribator, on 15 April 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

In terms of on-paper efficiency, yes, putting that tonnage into AMS may be more useful. Though, I find MG's to be extremely distracting to the enemies and use it as kind of a psychological weapon. Occasional weapon disables are also useful.

The only thing the MG will do is to get them to notice you - something a lightly-armoured, under-gunned light 'mech should avoid at all costs.

#8 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I slapped a Large Pulse Laser on my K and called it a day. I was engine swapping from my other spiders... you might even be able to get away with standard HS on the thing to save some expense.

#9 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm a big fan of the ERLLAS on my Spiders. To me, there is nothing better to put in that slot.

I used the MGs on my 5K because "gotta troll sumthin'." They were generally most fondly recognized for the awesome dakka sound. Was sometimes useful for critting out an exposed gun, but as always you would probably be better off with a weapon that just killed them.

The 5V also got the ERLLAS treatment. With nothing else to put in there I got almost max jump jets. Wheeee!

#10 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm currently running a 5K build with just an ERLL. Linky.

You could use Endo Steel to put an AMS+Ammo on there, but I find it's not necessary the vast majority of the time.

With my 5V, I used two ML. Linky.

For my 5D, I used three ML+ECM+AP. Linky.

#11 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Poststjobe, on 15 April 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

The only thing the MG will do is to get them to notice you - something a lightly-armoured, under-gunned light 'mech should avoid at all costs.

When I'm in a Spider, I want to be noticed. It's role is to be a harasser, a distractor. Not a damage dealer. That's why I have my Spiders in worst camo colors possible(lime green ftw). You have JJ's to avoid getting hit, use them efficiently and you'll be impossible to hit. If you stay on the ground with less JJ's usage, you won't last long.

#12 Delchev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

This 5D version works wonders for me. XL255, ECM, Large laser, 2x med lasers. 5x JJ. Other types of spiders are just to get elite on 5D.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1465429f4faa7f6

#13 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

View Poststjobe, on 15 April 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

QFT.

As a hit and run-mech, a weapon you have to aim & keep on an enemy for minutes to get any effect isnt realy viable.

#14 Delchev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Here is 5K build that I use for grinding in order to get elite to my 5D.
UAC5+med. las. XL210 which was in stock Raven 3L. Single heat sinks, just because i don't want to waste money on 5K.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cb3152c1e057fd6

One could exchange 2 JJ to one more ton of UAC5.

UAC5 in a rear armor is quite painful and getting behind is easy with spider.

Alternatively it could be AC5+2 tons ammo.

Edited by Delchev, 16 April 2013 - 12:36 AM.

#15 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

View PostTahribator, on 15 April 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

When I'm in a Spider, I want to be noticed. It's role is to be a harasser, a distractor. Not a damage dealer. That's why I have my Spiders in worst camo colors possible(lime green ftw). You have JJ's to avoid getting hit, use them efficiently and you'll be impossible to hit. If you stay on the ground with less JJ's usage, you won't last long.

That's certainly one way of playing (and I do so myself from time to time when the situation warrants), but it sure doesn't pay well. The current reward mechanics are severely skewed towards doing damage and killing stuff - so if you're looking to minimize the grind, this is not the way to go about it.

And the 5K, with its ballistic slots, is the worst spider to get noticed in. You basically then *have* to evade, doing nothing to increase your XP/CB balance.

Edited by stjobe, 16 April 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#16 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

the most luck i've had on my spdr while running the 5d to master were.
spdr-5d 3 med pulse
spdr-5v 2 med pulse
spdr-5k 1 lrg pulse
pulse seemed to work so much better than regular either because i have really poor aim or it offset the high speed and ridiculous amount of jumping i do in a spider

Edited by Milt, 16 April 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#17 MourningZero

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

5D with 2 large lasers in the arm is an absolute beast. You can run 152kph circles around things while accurately aiming your point and click 18 damage beam. Has enough flexibility in the arm to fire directly behind you with skills mastered.

2 large lasers, ecm, dhs, endo, ferro, done. I leave off the JJs, since the predictability on landing tends to get more parts blown off than the flight time ever helps.

Most games, if they go longer than 3 minutes, will see the spider as 1st or 2nd in damage well above the other assault and heavy lancemates. You just bob and weave and constantly apply those large lasers to everything you can see. Some games, if you are the last man standing, can become very interesting:
Posted Image

#18 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostMourningZero, on 16 April 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

5D with 2 large lasers in the arm is an absolute beast. You can run 152kph circles around things while accurately aiming your point and click 18 damage beam. Has enough flexibility in the arm to fire directly behind you with skills mastered.

2 large lasers, ecm, dhs, endo, ferro, done. I leave off the JJs, since the predictability on landing tends to get more parts blown off than the flight time ever helps.

Interesting. I'll just note that the more standard ERLL+2ML gives you a 1 point higher alpha while retaining all of the eight JJs.

#19 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostAsheron Storm, on 15 April 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with some decent builds for the spider that they may like to share. As for me, I've finished using the V, which I had decked out with 2 medium pulse lasers, an xl engine, and extra armor. Sadly, my D is pretty much the same as the V, but replaces some Jump with the ECM. Both of those are okay, but nothing to write home about. The variant that's really bothering me is the K. I've tried a medium laser and 4 machine guns. I've even worked things out so I could try an AC/2 (as my only weapon), and another build with an AC/5. Both AC builds can actually get more damage per match than I had with the machine guns, but I haven't won a match since making that trade. I could really use some assistance so I can tolerate my K until I don't need it anymore.

You should try the 6 MG spider. I heard it really murders atlases from behind.

#20 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostLoler skates, on 16 April 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

You should try the 6 MG spider. I heard it really murders atlases from behind.

To be fair, he said we should imagine that it could have a devastating effect to the back of AN Atlas. (or something like that). Nobody ever suggested that any spider we can actually use in game might actually be able to "murder" anything, let alone multiple.. uhmm.. Atlasi? Atlasees? uhmm you know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users