Help Frr Pilot Choose A Mech?

114 replies to this topic

#41 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostTOOON, on 26 April 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

You use the zoom option on your mech? Think it's middle mouse/wheel button by default?

Yes, I use it. At 3x zoom, at the Forest Colony (where the game just crashed on me), I still have a hard time seeing the enemy at a distance, but they can darn sure see to shoot at me. ;) Actually, I don't have 100% realtime results now...had several games today where the view got choppy, and there was a discontinuity in my mech getting from one place to another. So, turning up the System Specification makes that worse? :D A friend is supposed to help me install a bigger, badder video card ...some day.

#42 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostZerberus, on 26 April 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

TO the original question: something cheap like a commando. Why invest tons of money in something that the clans are going to blow halfway across the solar system in a few months ;)

...Says the player whose commando is worth IIRC almost 8 million (or I was drunk an clicked on an atlas) when sold at a 50% loss, lol.

Who are these "clans" you speak of? ;) I already know I'm not going to settle on one mech. Ultimately, I want to try out a lot of them (which may include a commando one day). To do that I need C-Bills. To have C-Bills I have to improve my damage per match, and not be at the bottom of my teams ranking every time. ...Preferably, get some kills and live through a match now and then. ...And why doesn't my Enter key start another line while I'm typing in this window??? :D

#43 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 26 April 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Who are these "clans" you speak of? :D I already know I'm not going to settle on one mech. Ultimately, I want to try out a lot of them (which may include a commando one day). To do that I need C-Bills. To have C-Bills I have to improve my damage per match, and not be at the bottom of my teams ranking every time. ...Preferably, get some kills and live through a match now and then. ...And why doesn't my Enter key start another line while I'm typing in this window??? ;)

I heard it has something to do either with windows or internet explorer, can't remember where though also if you still run a catapult I would suggest hanging back behind the rest of your team and firing on whatever they fire at, if a brawl breaks out try to set yourself up outside the actual fur ball and fire into it (doing your best to avoid friendly fire of course) if you end up running LRMs try to sit 300-400m out and rain on whoever has the most damage/poses the biggest threat. ((sorry about the giant paragraph I have the same enter key issue as you XD)

#44 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostFlyingTurtle, on 26 April 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

If you want effective and easy mech's, try these...

[color=#0000FF][color=#0000FF]http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=2&l=bfe8c46f6b7bcf7c53702ad6b3a0e8fc2b7f5dfa[/color][/color]

[color=#0000FF][color=#0000FF]http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=2&l=88a64e7db5e2ff195dd170b0aa6fa8eb37858daf[/color][/color]

Both very good hunchbacks in thier own ways.

LOL, JK, these suck but id love to see them played in a video, watch the ragers.

both of those links lead to an empty smurfy :/ although the missile armed Hunchies (and a large portion of the mediums) have been a tad underwhelming since the missile patch

Edited by Omni 13, 26 April 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#45 FlyingTurtle

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 26 April 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

both of those links lead to an empty smurfy :/ although the Hunchies (and most if not all mediums) have been a tad underwhelming since the missile patch

I know, it broke, it was a joke anyway... One was 9 flamers and the other was 8 LL's

#46 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

Liquid Leopard not sure if anyone mentioned this but ways to get fast cbills without using actual money is that you want to damage every enemy, even if it is only 1 damage. You actually get more xp and money from assists than kill in this game. Also you get xp and money for component destruction, using TAG/NARC and your team hits your target with missiles (only 2500cbills), also NARCs get a bonus if the enemy's team attacks him/her after getting NARC'd. A very nice bonus if you can get it and it stacks with assist/kill reward is the Savior Kill bonus if you down an opponent who was attacking a teammate with a critical component at less than 50% health and a Defensive Kill bonus if you kill or attacked a killed enemy mech that was attempting to capture your base. Both of these bonuses net you 7,500 CBills (the in-game currency) and 150 experience. Doing these things will net you around 60,000 to 80,000 for a loss and 100,000 to 200,000 for a win. I usually average about 140,000 per match though when I use my Hero mechs that number jumps to 200,000 and if I had my premium time activated it says I could have made 100,000 more so if you can you might want to look into those options. Hope this helps you out

#47 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

^ Indeed, I hadn't read that. I did notice that I'm sometimes notified of a bonus for a Defensive Kill or Savior Kill. Hadn't figured out what it meant, but I liked it. I noticed that Assists help my score, but that depends on someone killing the mechs you had damaged, right?

#48 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yep, and it is better to get 8 assists rather than 8 kills and you can do it with 50 damage total at the end of the match. Here is a breakdown of how to earn cbills that I got off http://mwowiki.org/wiki/C-Bill

Know Your Bonuses
The final tip for boosting your C-Bills is to know exactly what earns you those C-Bill bonuses at the end of a match. The following shows all the factors that go in to your end of match C-Bill total.
Assault Game Mode
  • Win/Loss/Tie = 25,000
  • Team Kill = -10,000 * how many teammates you have killed
  • Component Destroyed = 2,500 * how many components you have destroyed
  • Enemy Kill = 5,000 * how many enemies you have killed
  • Enemy Kill Assist =7,500 * how many kill assists you got in the match
  • Spotting Assist = 2,500 * how many spotting assists you got in the match
  • TAG/Narc Assist = 2,500 * how many TAG/Narc assists you got in the game
  • Damage Done = 25 * how much damage you did in the match
Conquest Game Mode
  • Win/Loss/Tie = 25,000
  • Team Kill = -10,000 * how many teammates you have killed
  • Component Destroyed = 1,250 * how many components you have destroyed
  • Enemy Kill = 2,500 * how many enemies you have killed
  • Enemy Kill Assist = 3,750 * how many assist you got in the game
  • Spotting Assist = 1,250 * how many spotting assist you got in the game
  • TAG/Narc Assist = 1,250 * how many TAG/Narc assists you got in the game
  • Damage Done = 25 * how much damage you did in the game
  • Resource Bonus = 50 * how many resources you have collected

#49 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

^ And killing a disconnect farmer is still a Team Kill. Booooo!!!!

Here's another thing where I have vast room for improvement:
I know not to stand still in front of the enemy, or relative to their line of site. I do a lot of shooting perpendicular to my path, so I'm moving perpendicular to their line of fire.

Therefore, I HATE the urban areas. (Yes, I just got whacked at River City Night again, after doing 23 points of damage. :D )

If I'm running around looking and shooting sideways, how do I avoid getting hung up on a damn building? I suddenly become a stationary target, for however long it takes me to change direction. It doesn't seem to happen to anyone else, so is there some secret I need to know for how to avoid buildings in this situation? Do we just not shoot sideways in a built-up area? Do I just suck that much worse than everyone else??????

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 27 April 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#50 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

With time you develop a sense of your surroundings. I use the minimap to navigate my legs and if I need more detail then I look. It'll come in time with practice. And yea the game awards a TK for killing those that DC but at the same time they're not all farmers. A lot of people are having the game disconnect or crash to desktop for no reason and PGI is supposedly looking into the problem. It happened twice to me the first time we were ahead and I was just about to score a kill when in kicked me out saying that I lost connection to the server and I had to relog. The second time the game crashed to windows in the beginning of the match. It's very annoying for the Team and the player. Though I bet there still is farmers pulling that.

#51 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

When I had a crash to desktop (twice this month) it was in the middle of a game. Not right at the beginning. Or, when I spend an inordinate amount of time in the camo lab sometimes I get an error message about "Attempt to bind to non-render target", and it crashes, but without affecting a team. I think those disconnecting right at the drop are suspect.

#52 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 27 April 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

When I had a crash to desktop (twice this month) it was in the middle of a game. Not right at the beginning. Or, when I spend an inordinate amount of time in the camo lab sometimes I get an error message about "Attempt to bind to non-render target", and it crashes, but without affecting a team. I think those disconnecting right at the drop are suspect.

Nope.

In the previous patch, we have plenty of disconnects/crash to desktop right when the map starts fading in. There are unfortunately many variations of CTD's in this beta. I don't think a tenth of the dropouts are intentional.

#53 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

A few days ago I got my Catapult C4, and named it according to plan. I went through some intermediate configurations while I worked up C-Bills for the LRM/SRM combination I wanted. The first time out with that combo Reykja did, like, a zillion points of damage (195).
Between my builds and my skills, I suck less than when I started this thread. (I darn well should suck less, now that I've had over 500 drops.) I'm enjoying the game more, and my kill/death ratio has finally exceeded 0.10.
I need to unlock 2 more basic efficiencies with my C4, and then I can start unlocking elite efficiencies.
But, like I said before, I'm still thinking of the next mech to try out. ;)

#54 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Congratulations and I am glad that you are having fun playing. I fell in love back in the 90s when I first read Exodus Road: Twilight of the Clans Saga 1 and I never looked back. I am sad that it has taken this long for the series to really take off with MWO and MWLL (MechAssault series did not help. At least PGI understands what they have and wants to follow the true Battletech experience while making it their own and making some money. Feel free to send a friend request and maybe we can drop together sometime. o/

#55 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I remember the Fang and Flame were on sale around Easter. And, there's a sale every weekend. Has anyone seen a pattern to the sales? Any idea if the Flame might go on sale ever again?

I've heard that the Ilya Murometz is pretty good for a hero mech. Has it ever been on sale? Or, is that yet to come?

I'm starting to think in terms of "If I get this chassis, which 3 variants do I want?" For example, if I were to get a Centurion there are only 3 variants unless you count the Wang-Hang-Out. For the Dragon, one variant has to be the Flame for sure. The others would probably be the -1C and the -1N.

For the Awesome, I'd definitely get a -9M (the speediest one) and the -8T (only one with symmetrical hardpoints). For a Cicada, I'd want a -3M (I'd finally have an ECM mech!) and a -2B (most hardpoints on the arms), and I'm not sure about another variant.

CT hardpoints are definitely a selling point. My HBK-4SP has had a few matches where I spent the last several seconds harassing the enemy with the head-mounted laser because everything else had been blown off. A couple of nights ago, my C4 finished a match in "zombie mode" with both arms and one leg destroyed, shooting the remaining enemy mech with the CT lasers.

#56 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

The Flame is definitely the best of the Dragons in my opinion, (and I own one) but if the cost is an issue, its worth noting that the Flame and DRG-1C are the same mech; the Flame just swaps the 1C's left shoulder energy hardpoints and right arm ballistic point. Yeah, it's nice having 4 arm-mounted energy points for aiming, but the 1C can technically do everything the Flame can.

The Muromets is good if you're intending to run one of the overspecialized builds, (3 Gauss, 3 UACs, etc) but I personally don't find it very versatile.

I see both sides of CT/head hardpoints. Take the Atlas-D vs the Atlas-RS. On one side, the D having those 2 medium lasers in the chest lets me play zombie if my arms are blown off. On the other, the RS letting me pack 4 Large Lasers into the arms lets me do vast amounts more damage, even if I can be completely disarmed. They're both nice options, but I think the heavier you go, the less effective those head/CT hardpoints become.

#57 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostMalzel, on 04 May 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

The Flame is definitely the best of the Dragons in my opinion, (and I own one) but if the cost is an issue, its worth noting that the Flame and DRG-1C are the same mech; the Flame just swaps the 1C's left shoulder energy hardpoints and right arm ballistic point. Yeah, it's nice having 4 arm-mounted energy points for aiming, but the 1C can technically do everything the Flame can.

Well, the 1C is one of my candidates for a Dragon chassis, but I've found that it's much easier to aim with symmetrical loadouts...and I'm hesitant to pay more for a Flame than I did for my PB...although PB really made it obvious how much worse I play when dealing with asymmetry and sketchy convergence. It took me a bit to un-f*** that thing.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 04 May 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#58 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I have been having a lot of luck with my Ilya Muromets though it is pricey. 2LL on the shoulders to snipe on hills without exposing much and 2 UAC5s to provide the punch (can out dps twin AC20s if it does not jam). I'm the same way with symmetry since its hard to aim with fixed points and arms so I tend not to mix those points much; because of this I put a TAG on instead of a ML because of this and it helps mark targets for my team to hit with missiles. Cataphacts receive a lot of hate because they can't take as much pounding and their arm hardpoints are low so the ground makes it hard to shoot sometimes but I like to think of them similar to clan builds, when you put the 320XL engine in with 81kph speed and hard hitting weapons on it.

#59 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 04 May 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

I have been having a lot of luck with my Ilya Muromets though it is pricey. 2LL on the shoulders to snipe on hills without exposing much and 2 UAC5s to provide the punch (can out dps twin AC20s if it does not jam). I'm the same way with symmetry since its hard to aim with fixed points and arms so I tend not to mix those points much; because of this I put a TAG on instead of a ML because of this and it helps mark targets for my team to hit with missiles. Cataphacts receive a lot of hate because they can't take as much pounding and their arm hardpoints are low so the ground makes it hard to shoot sometimes but I like to think of them similar to clan builds, when you put the 320XL engine in with 81kph speed and hard hitting weapons on it.

I saw your Ilya on the field today!

#60 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Really? Sorry I did not notice you. ;)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users