So How Are The New Highlanders?

103 replies to this topic

#21 Baozi

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

How does the XL engine handle inside a brawling Highlander?

My Heavy Metal rarely ever gets killed by side torso shots (even with twisting. The center and my legs are usually the ones torn away over time), so I was wondering if the standard engine offers any more protection, especially since the Highlanders actually have torso weapons to fight with in case of losing the arms.

#22 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm thinking of doing something similar with the Centurion series, meaning having only STD engine for the Highlander so it can be a zombie :3

#23 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

XL's are hit and miss depending on the build... larger weapons but less crit space means XL to fit them, but more variety of weapons with more tonnage means a standard engine. It's whatever fits the job, because you typically will be cored out before you lose a torso unless you're a manic twister.

#24 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Bought the 733c to go with the heavy metal, and wow what a beast went atlas type brawler and damn it works so well.
ac20 2xLL 2x srm6 ams and dhs and endo. 3.5 k/d. 56 alpha strike is unreal.

2 best plays of the day:
1. double alpha strike at point blank to a stalker koed.
2. ac20 to a jenner koed to show im who da boss!!!!!!!!

Loving the tankyness of it with no xl doubt i'll change engines at all.

Amazing mech.

#25 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Running a 733 with Gauss, 2x LL, 4x SRM4, 300 std engine, 10 DHS, 528/558 armor, and (of course) 3 JJs. It works, I can **** a mother at any range, I'm very durable, and I can get places despite being slow.

#26 Mr Ezzquizo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

733c is fun fun fun!

my build is bad, but good for me

stdr 270

2uac5

2 ml

2 srm6

1srm4

GL ALL!!!

#27 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Having a ton of fun in the HGN-732 (just finished a game where I had 903 damage :D)

1x Gauss

3x ERPPC

1x JJ

Standard 280

15 Double Heat Sinks

Max armor

GG

Edited by DegeneratePervert, 16 April 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#28 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

wow thats a crazy build lol. looks good though.

#29 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

they're fun, and that's coming from someone who can't play assaults for some reason (or the atlases at least). Their weapon points are all varied, giving you a lot of options for both long range and brawling.

Here is something I came up with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e07cb5002261a5e

Needless to say, if this thing gets close to you, it will shred you apart. But I'm just messing around a bit, looking for decent builds, might come up with something else later.

#30 Mister Dubis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 16 April 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

They're sexy. I want to bear their love-child. :)

Seriously, I had just planned to get 2 to level my HM, but I think I'll be keeping them both (732 & 733C) and adding a 733.

The 733C is like a mini-DDC that hops. Haven't decided for sure on the 732. Currently it's a Gauss/Triple-PPC sniper, but that will most likely change. 733 I'm thinking of running as an upgraded version of the stock build.

I don't remember which one you were playing but you totally killed me using one tonight.

#31 Jooyaa

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

I fall in love with my new HGN-733C, with the following setup:

Endo-Steel structure
16 double heatsinks
maxed Armor (only left arm 46/60)
std.engine 280 (50.4/55.4 KPH)
4 JJ
AMS + 1t ammo

2x ER PPC
1x AC2 (1t ammo = 75)
1x U/AC5 (2t ammo = 50)

0 Slots left

AC´s fire in chain (without jamming) for a decent barrage
ER PPC for burst

good thing: u can go in the target with the AC´s and hit PPC´s when you are in (about same projectile speed)

other good thing: u can change both AC´s vs. a gauss because of same weight

Edited by Jooyaa, 17 April 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#32 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

I've been having good success with this 733C loadout.

2x PPC
AC/20
3x SSRM2
325XL
4JJ
13 DHS
near max armor

Hitting someone with 2 PPCs and an AC/20 really ruins their day.

#33 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

What makes the highlander stand out besides the jump jets? What makes the Atlas stand out besides the slabs of armor? Seriously, the Highlander is like a "mini" Atlas (as if a 90 ton mech with maxed armor can be called "mini"), but it can jump. Plus, it's named HIGHLANDER. I mean, seriously, if you're old enough to drink, throw back a few, jump in your Highlander, turn up the bagpipe music and go to town ripping some 'mechs to pieces, All the while shouting "There can be only one!".

#34 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

Love my 733C in additon to Heavy Metal.

(Work in progess): 1x Ac20, 2x MPulse, 2x SRM6, 1x LRM 10, Maxed armor & jets, Std engine. Tough, Durable

I feel meanwhile hard pressed to play anyting without jets... Trebuchet, Spider... Now the fitting assault.

Edited by John McFianna, 17 April 2013 - 04:55 AM.

#35 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

I think the HGN-733C variant looks very favorable for people who want a brawler zombie mech. I don't know if zombie mode is applicable for assaults since their center torsos and side torsos are pretty big as well.

The HGN-733C is the only mech that can equip a AC/20. It's extra ballastic hardpoint gives people the ability to duel wield AC/5s, UAC/5s and AC/2s or a combination of ACs.

Two lasers hardpoints on the right torsos and 2 missiles hard points with 20 holes, plenty to rock out LRMs and SRMs.

Basically, what I want to say is, lose your arms and you still have your torsos much like the Centurion series. Just hope you don't lose both of your torsos or else you will render you close to useless.

Oh and don't forget about the JJs. This variant probably makes a good Gauss pop-tart sniper.

I think this mech would probably be very versatile and durable since it has all the hardpoints and most of the hardpoints are on the torsos.

What do you think guys?

#36 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostZeProme, on 17 April 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

I think the HGN-733C variant looks very favorable for people who want a brawler zombie mech. I don't know if zombie mode is applicable for assaults since their center torsos and side torsos are pretty big as well.

The HGN-733C is the only mech that can equip a AC/20. It's extra ballastic hardpoint gives people the ability to duel wield AC/5s, UAC/5s and AC/2s or a combination of ACs.

Two lasers hardpoints on the right torsos and 2 missiles hard points with 20 holes, plenty to rock out LRMs and SRMs.

Basically, what I want to say is, lose your arms and you still have your torsos much like the Centurion series. Just hope you don't lose both of your torsos or else you will render you close to useless.

Oh and don't forget about the JJs. This variant probably makes a good Gauss pop-tart sniper.

I think this mech would probably be very versatile and durable since it has all the hardpoints and most of the hardpoints are on the torsos.

What do you think guys?

Theoretically, the 733C should be a beast of a brawler. You can kit one out like a DDC with jump jets instead of ECM. I only got to run mine once last night - in an 8-man on alpine of all places... Not the best spot to try out a completely fresh, no-unlocks brawler - and it didn't go well, but that's not unusual with that map. I run my CTF-2X mini-atlas all the time, and 9 times out of 10, it'll tear stuff up and land me at or near the top of the leaderboard. I have an AC20, 3MLs, 2SRM6's on that at 71kph with 400 armor on that mech. Considering my 733C is bringing one less ML and one more SRM6 (with full tubes to launch from), an extra 100+ pts of armor AND jets? I feel pretty comfortable in saying it'll get the job done... but getting the unlocks is going to be a PIA all the same ;)

#37 Koujo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Haven't played one but I've played against a few with my brawling mediums and I have to say those JJs are a definite advantage for them in a brawling situation. I'd circle behind them to thrash their rear armor just to have them jump-spin and wind up facing me again. I probably now fear highlanders more than any other assault.

#38 Triple Patte

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

When you put an AC20 in the 733C arm, does the arm move horizontally? There is no lower arm actuator in there but there is one in the left arm so I was wondering.

#39 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

I picked up these:

733C
STD270 (slooooow)
AC/20
2 LLs
3 SRM6s
3 JJs

XL320
Gauss
3 PPCs
3 JJs

So far, I like the 732 better. The 733C is indeed a beast, but it somehow doesn't feel as effective as an Atlas. It might just be because it's new and slow as hell though.

#40 Uspez

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostRidiculous, on 17 April 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

When you put an AC20 in the 733C arm, does the arm move horizontally? There is no lower arm actuator in there but there is one in the left arm so I was wondering.

The AC20 equipped 733C still has side to side movement in the arms but it's limited (10 degrees instead of 20).

I finally settled (I think) on a build I like. Triple Artemis SRM6's, an AC20 and 2 MLAS running a xl300 plus max JJ's. I may have to mix it up some and try out the xl325 though! Close range poptarting is an awesome smack to the face and jumping over someone to alpha their back is priceless.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users