103 replies to this topic

#81 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostMcHarg, on 18 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

I take it back, just wrecked a team with the 733C brawler build.

Ohhh it worked well for you? Glad to hear it! You definitely need to operate with some care but once you're within the 270m things are going to die.

#82 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

I think the problem with brawling is that to do it, you just can't be AS one-dimensional in the current meta. It's not extinct. It's certainly not ineffective. Here's the thing though. In this game, for the longest time, "brawling" has meant walking around with standard engines and craploads of weapons that were optimal out to 270m - and that's it. Now you have everyone and their dog running around with more "reach" on their mechs and you can't simply walk up and face punch them. You can't count on radar invisibility allowing you to close - cause these guys can spot and shoot you either way. Standard engine or not, you'll be bloodied so badly that half the time you're not breaking 200 damage regardless... so you need to have a counter-punch of your own. It doesn't have to be a 40-pt PPC alpha. You just need something more than a pellet gun to make your opponents take note and have to cover from you just as you have to cover from them. Nothing more and nothing less. A single gauss rifle or a pair of PPCs will do that just as well as 4 or 5. If you can at least be any level of threat aside from humping the side of a building or hill - or following in behind other meat shields, you can walk your own way in to your targets.

#83 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostBanky, on 18 April 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

I think the problem with brawling is that to do it, you just can't be AS one-dimensional in the current meta. It's not extinct. It's certainly not ineffective. Here's the thing though. In this game, for the longest time, "brawling" has meant walking around with standard engines and craploads of weapons that were optimal out to 270m - and that's it. Now you have everyone and their dog running around with more "reach" on their mechs and you can't simply walk up and face punch them. You can't count on radar invisibility allowing you to close - cause these guys can spot and shoot you either way. Standard engine or not, you'll be bloodied so badly that half the time you're not breaking 200 damage regardless... so you need to have a counter-punch of your own. It doesn't have to be a 40-pt PPC alpha. You just need something more than a pellet gun to make your opponents take note and have to cover from you just as you have to cover from them. Nothing more and nothing less. A single gauss rifle or a pair of PPCs will do that just as well as 4 or 5. If you can at least be any level of threat aside from humping the side of a building or hill - or following in behind other meat shields, you can walk your own way in to your targets.

*nods* Very true.

As an aside the AC20 has surprising range. I regularly smack targets in the 500-600m range just to keep their heads down. The damage isn't great (around 7 points) but the shake from an AC20 hit is tremendous.

#84 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 18 April 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

*nods* Very true.

As an aside the AC20 has surprising range. I regularly smack targets in the 500-600m range just to keep their heads down. The damage isn't great (around 7 points) but the shake from an AC20 hit is tremendous.

Yeah... the AC20 is definitely underrated in that regard. It'll sting pretty well out beyond 400m and then some - but the further out that you use it, the less return you get on each ton of ammo you spend... and at 7 shots per ton, you need to bring a LOT of ammo along if you're going to use the gun that way. I do it with YLW all the time - but I can afford the 5-6 tons of ammo I carry to pull it off. No way I could justify carrying that much in a mech as large as the 733C (or even my CTF-2X/1X). Too many other weapons that need ammo or heat sinks to pull that off, so the AC20 stays in the "short-range only" category (for me).

#85 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 18 April 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Ohhh it worked well for you? Glad to hear it! You definitely need to operate with some care but once you're within the 270m things are going to die.

Aye had a good game on Tourmaline, thing is all day I've been getting Alpine and been having a horrible time with it lol. Using a standard 320 engine, AC/20, 2xmpulse, and 3 srm4.

#86 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostMcHarg, on 18 April 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Aye had a good game on Tourmaline, thing is all day I've been getting Alpine and been having a horrible time with it lol. Using a standard 320 engine, AC/20, 2xmpulse, and 3 srm4.

Alpine is probably the worst map with regards to advancing. On the bright side though with JJ you can scale every mountain there. I've had a lot of luck showing up to the side and pummeling someone. When their snipers turn to you for reprisal you just fall back off the back of the hill into cover.

#87 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

So far, the 733C just isn't working for me. I've got an AC/20, 2 LLs, and 3 SRM6s, but it still doesn't feel like it does a lot of damage. Maybe I've just forgotten how to brawl?

But the 732? Holy hell, this mech fits me like a glove! I absolutely love it. It just "feels" right.

#88 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostNRP, on 18 April 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

So far, the 733C just isn't working for me. I've got an AC/20, 2 LLs, and 3 SRM6s, but it still doesn't feel like it does a lot of damage. Maybe I've just forgotten how to brawl?

But the 732? Holy hell, this mech fits me like a glove! I absolutely love it. It just "feels" right.

Yeah it's not for everyone. What are you mounting on your 732? I ended up opting to the 733P but that might just be more my own style.

#89 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostBanky, on 18 April 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

You do have to play smarter, especially on a map like alpine with caps. I've been doing fairly well with my brawling 733c. The jump really throws a new dynamic and opens up the dimensions. I had a 5 kill 760 damage match and I'm not planning on changing the config. right now.

View PostNRP, on 18 April 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

What's been the issue? Overheats? I'm running AC/20, 2ML's, and 3 srm4's+artemis and it felt the best out of all the configs I tried (PPC, LL's, streaks). It basically turns it almost into my brawling atlas build but it can jump. I do a bunch of alphas until heat gets high then I nickel and dime my shots until I cool down.

Edited by Widow Maker, 18 April 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#90 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 18 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Yeah it's not for everyone. What are you mounting on your 732? I ended up opting to the 733P but that might just be more my own style.

XL320
Gauss (3T)
3 PPCs
3 JJs

I've had some flat out ridiculous games with this mech.

#91 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

I struggled with 733C compared to my 732 as well. What I decided to do was to refit it as a pure brawler and right now I'm having much more success with it. Here's my rough build:

320STD Engine, 15 DHS, Endo
AC20
2xML
3xSRM6
1xJJ

I think the important thing here is to cram as much DHS as possible into the mech, and mount the biggest engine possible for better torso responsiveness. If you can keep your DPS steady in a brawl without shutting down, this mech absolutely wrecks. The jumpjet lets you spread the damage a bit, so I can even solo Atlases while under fire from heavies/meds.

#92 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yeah, I think I need to make some decisions about what want to do with the 733C. Probably swap the LLs for MLs and up the engine size.

#93 Aethos

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

"The new and improved, strawberry poptart."

#94 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Being a brawler is just really painful right now, with my 733c i'm averaging between 100-200 xp per game. With my 732 i'm getting between 700-1300 xp per game >.< And i'm more experienced at brawling than sniping lol.

Edited by McHarg, 18 April 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#95 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'm thinking about being different and going with a 733P with 3 LRM 15s 2 LLas and TAG with a max XL engine. Unfortunately I bought the C so I need to save for the mech and engine now.

#96 Jackarl2

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I really like the 732.

57 Alpha damage. Great for close combat.

1x Gauss w/ 3 tons
3x Med laser
3x SRM 6 + Artemis w/ 4 tons
STD300
2/3 Jump jets
DHS
Endo Steel
Max armor (45 legs)

Edited by Jackarl2, 18 April 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#97 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Right changed it up, 320 std engine, 2 medium lasers, AC/20, and 3 srm6, and it's working better for me. When missile damage is changed, this and the 733 should be prime brawlers :)

#98 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

The 732 is a sniping beast, using a gauss rifle and 3 erppcs. Heat efficiency is only 1.15 but shouldn't be a problem if you can manage heat well.

#99 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Im still enjoying alot of success with my 733c brawler, i find the 2 LL give me that mid range punch to keep 1-2 snipers at bay long enough to get in range. but the toll of lag and bad match making/map selection has dropped my k:d to 2, ive started to use my srm's less and less saving them for alphas and lights, so i might drop a ton of ammo and up my ac20 ammo.

finally just went for it and bought a 733 going for the shotgun build(not that i have the cash for it) despite its lackluster loadout it still does ok. Im thinking of running on the cheap at the moment and going for a ac/10, lrm15/20, and 3 srms of whatever i can fit and 2 ml or LL endo/dhs. If that does ok ill run that for awhile before going full lb10x and srm boom boom mode.

#100 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Offering my own review. It does not have any custom loadouts mentioned but it does have a lot of info not commonly discussed.
Please have a peak.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2260961

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users