150 replies to this topic

#101 Klaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 April 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

There's this old saying about practicing what you preach. Ever heard it?

Maybe if you'd constructively address some of the many counter-points that have been made, it wouldn't look so much like crying. Just sayin'.

What counter points have been made?

All I see is a bunch of people that refuse to read the OP and probably should be reported for spamming.

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 April 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Now, according to you, they're not even playable.

View PostKlaus, on 17 April 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

I said I had my Highlanders near master. Again, you didn't read.

Just like you.

The point in the OP is obvious. Weapons are not balanced. How do you not see that? Are you seriously that dense? Or are you just purposely trying to derail the thread?

Please go back and read.

Edited by Klaus, 17 April 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#102 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 17 April 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

I don't have an issue with copycat builds. I share my builds intentionally so that people can use them. I have a problem with people copying a build without understanding why that build is good. It's why people complain about them because they don't understand them.

You notice this especially with poptarting. Ppl hear poptarting is good, know it involves jumpjets and direct-fire weapons, and then proceed to either:

A ) jump up and down in one spot with predictable timing while hitting nothing.
B ) complain about A).

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 17 April 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#103 SweetWarmIce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

The trend will settle once the Highlander's shininess wears off and missles get their tuning done. After a while people will flank and shoot poptarts down without even thinking about it. If not then PGI will make adjustments until there's a balance.

Just like every other FOTM we've had.

#104 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ah, see, i should have written "Cheese Builds", Instead of "Copy-Cat Builds".
Your right, i too would share my builds with everyone, and would be honored if people tried and liked them.
By Cheese, I mean Dual AC/20s, Pop-Tarts of every flavor etc etc

Little skill, Big Bang.

By-the-By, i pilot brawler Hunchie+cataphract,'s and a dual UAC/5 jager.

#105 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostNehkrosis, on 17 April 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Your right, i too would share my builds with everyone, and would be honored if people tried and liked them.

Little skill, Big Bang.

Mechwarrior Hipster would share his builds, but you have probably never heard of them. :)

#106 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Little skill, Big Bang.

It's not hard - make some videos and put yourself out there. If you did a good job people accept it. Do a poor job and well... the community will let you know :)

#107 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Just because your build sucks doesn't mean only skilled players can use them. You can be a terrible player playing with a terrible build for all we know.

#108 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Well, i do not consider myself a pro or anything, but neither do I believe my builds suck :)

#109 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostKlaus, on 17 April 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I'd be in a light or AC/20 Jager if it was worth it right now, but it's not.

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 April 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

People whined the same way last month about AC40 Jagers ........ Now, according to you, they're not even playable.

Now quit your pathetic attempts to quote me out of context.

View PostKlaus, on 17 April 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

What counter points have been made?

Please go back and read.

Are you serious? ;)

How about the points that they can be reasonably beaten with basic tactics, several of which have been spelled out?

How about the point that the prevalence of HGN's pop-tarting is the simple result of them being the shiny new toy, and that, since they can be beaten and the shininess will wear off, the "problem" will correct itself?

Or how about you take your own flippin' advice and go read the numerous counter-points for yourself?

#110 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHere, there, everwhere!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostKlaus, on 17 April 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

If you don't see this EVERY game then I don't know what to tell you, because I sure do. Maybe your elo is in the dumpster, maybe you're just lucky. But I'm sick of it. Every single person is a PPC sniper or using some kind of direct fire long range weapon.

This 'fad' as some of you would like to think it is has been a slow build up over every patch and now we just have sniper warrior online. There is no such thing as brawling, there is no such thing as lights. Snipers invalidates everything other than other snipers.

Think back... Raven hit boxes changed, missiles nerfed into the toilet bowl, and now HSR. While long range direct fire weapons were slowly buffed.

Also don't waste anyone's time with immature 'just adapt' comments. I have my Highlanders close to mastered now. I can play the game and win just like before the patch. BUT PLAYING LIKE THIS ISN'T FUN. This isn't how the game should be! It's turning into Mechwarrior 4...

PGI do something!

Ok so I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but I am going to attempt to approach it none the less. Now, OP I see where you are coming from - but you really went about it the wrong way. Allow me to explain in a few brief paragraphs.

Firstly, wrong forum. You picked general discussion, if you are seriously concerned about the state of balance issues in the game - largely in part to the "poptarts" then you really should be posting in Support & Feedback (more specifically the Game Balance or Suggestions forums). General forums is full of trolls and lets be honest here - nothing good will come of talking about "poptarts" or "nerf this, nerf that" in general forums.

Secondly, your tone in the post really comes across defensive and elitist while providing no real evidence to back up your issue other than some anecdotal comments. Talking about individual's elo being in the dumpsters or immature "adapt" comments really does you no justice.

Lastly and what I feel is most important, you provide no real constructive feedback or suggestions - just "PGI do something!" and "nerf or buff something". As a beta tester, if you find bugs, imbalance issues or wish to provide meaningful feedback to improve upon the game - then contribute accordingly.

I have been playing since CB; sometimes for days on end, other times I won't play for a week (depending on work and RL schedules). I have seen balance issues come and go, nothing gameplay wise has even come close to pushing me away from the game - or anyone that I play with for that matter. If I found something challenging I would find a way to work around it, read up on the forums for advice, or just jump into a new 'mech for the heck of it and see what happens. The only thing that has bugged me is the business model of PGI and MWO. I posted in forums in a respectful and constructive manner, I was enlightened so to speak and I left it alone after that.

Anyways, I don't know if you care or not, but if you were wondering why so many people were flaming its because of my points above.

Just my two cents.

#111 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 17 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

How about the points that they can be reasonably beaten with basic tactics, several of which have been spelled out?

How about the point that the prevalence of HGN's pop-tarting is the simple result of them being the shiny new toy, and that, since they can be beaten and the shininess will wear off, the "problem" will correct itself?

Or how about you take your own flippin' advice and go read the numerous counter-points for yourself?

I like how no one has posted a good video countering poptarts using other builds. It's just basic tactics though, so clearly any n00b should be able to make it work right? Maybe you can be the first to provide this video evidence showing how easily these tactics work? I actually want to see proof that this is as easy as everyone seems to claim.

I suspect only top tier corps like Kaos or Steel Jaguar would even be able to make these tactics work easily against an all poptart team.

#112 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostLazydrones541, on 17 April 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

I am kinda thinkin they should reset the heat generation on PPCs to their previous values.
However, I dont believe this will continue very long as it IS a mech release week...And am already seeing a drop in Highlander appearances.

Or add heat penalties to Jump jet launching

View PostZylo, on 17 April 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

I like how no one has posted a good video countering poptarts using other builds. It's just basic tactics though, so clearly any n00b should be able to make it work right? Maybe you can be the first to provide this video evidence showing how easily these tactics work? I actually want to see proof that this is as easy as everyone seems to claim.

I suspect only top tier corps like Kaos or Steel Jaguar would even be able to make these tactics work easily against an all poptart team.

Works the same way as when you get ppl saying how they regularly hit and do full damage with LRMs at 900 meters and when you ask them for proof, like a video of them doing that, you never see them post again

#113 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 17 April 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Or add heat penalties to Jump jet launching

This is a potential solution that might be easier than something like reticle shake while jumping.

Another that I saw in the past was lowering the total heat limit a mech could take before shutting down and increasing the heat dissipation rate. Both would be good counters to high heat/high alpha builds.

#114 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostZylo, on 17 April 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

This is a potential solution that might be easier than something like reticle shake while jumping.

Another that I saw in the past was lowering the total heat limit a mech could take before shutting down and increasing the heat dissipation rate. Both would be good counters to high heat/high alpha builds.

and/or extra fall damage if you jump and then shut down mid flight - and be explained by saying that your leg actuators arent functioning when you land. Itd be like jumping down from a semi trailer and locking your knees when you land.
Or hewll, actually having the mech fall if you do this, then you have to go through getting back up afterwards... but no wait thatd be bad. Then youd have them in third person view.

#115 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostAlekzander Smirnoff, on 17 April 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Its because missiles suck so bad now that they're not viable as a weapon so that limits it to ER Large, PPC's and Gauss for long range.

Poptarters and ppl peeking over terrain just using their legs have always been the hard counter to LRM boats (well, then and fast movers that close the distance), so.... yeah... no.

#116 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I say give it at least two weeks and see if it's still such great fun to JJ, because with a new mech it's always a lot of them for a while. People were hating on Jagers quite a bit in March, now when they have learned how to best deal with them it's not such a big deal. I expect the Highlander craze will die down soon enough.

#117 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

let's just say I picked the wrong time to try and level centurions. ;)

#118 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostZylo, on 17 April 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

I like how no one has posted a good video countering poptarts using other builds. It's just basic tactics though, so clearly any n00b should be able to make it work right?

OP seemed to do a pretty good job. It's not even like that was a super-optimized Stalker or anything, either.

#119 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

edit: dammit; wrong internet tab

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 17 April 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#120 Ratnix

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

What I saw was a group of people running out into the middle of an open area and standing behind the wrecked ship when they should have taken the right side and stayed behind cover and came at them under cover so they couldn't just sit there and poptart.

83 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 83 guests, 0 anonymous users