• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostThe Neravarine, on 18 April 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

Viable Medium Snipers? B)

Viable medium snipers.
With all builds, double heat sinks is a must. XL engines allow you to carry more but are expensive.

Hunchbacks
4G (triple AC-2 or Gauss Rifle, or ditch the ballistics and just do an ER PPC in each arm with a laser on the head for backup.)
4H (Gauss Rifle or AC-2, ER PPCs in arms).
4SP (ER PPCs, if you're willing to go slow you can fit up to 4 into the arms but you'll be a one-shot wonder. Make it count.)
4P (PPCs can be placed in either arm or in the torso. Allows for back-up weapons. To carry the most firepower use standard PPCs, and use the heat sinks you saved to instead fill up with small lasers for targets closer than 90 meters.)
4J (PPCs or ERs can be done in the arms or right torso. Once did a left-hand ER PPC and LRMs, worked rather well when missiles were more dangerous.)

Centurions
Any Cent except AL, Gauss Rifle.
AL, twin PPC or ER PPC in right arm.

Trebuchets
Varies by Trebuchet, any energy slot can hold a PPC. Equip as many as you like. Be warned, you're a skinny target and PPCs splash, so when you get hit all of your body parts will take damage. Good thing is you're hard to hit. Use small lasers, SSRMs, or SRMs for backup.
Tip: Trebuchets can jump.

Cicadas
Gauss Rifle into the 3M (with ECM to cloak you at long range) or 2C. PPCs also work on every build. Try an energy build with 4 ER PPCs -- some nicknamed this the Noisy Cricket. Keep in mind due to weight limits you are a one shot wonder, let it cool down all the way before you fire again or you WILL self-destruct.

Good luck!

Be warned, Gauss Rifles have convergence (accuracy) issues at close range, sometimes firing off to the side instead of at your target. Don't engage at less than 60 meters, about 40% of the time the shots won't hit or won't register.
[Edit: Forgot the 4J]

Edited by Koniving, 18 April 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#22 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 18 April 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Best medium sniper is the ERPPC Trebuchet, but I'm going to echo ppl who say that mediums are not amazing snipers. The best sniper right now is probably the Cataphract 3D with 1 Gauss and 2 ERPPCs. You can put the same setup on a K2 if you want the "budget" version B)

I much prefer the K2 sniper with 1x Gauss and 2x ERPPCs to the 3D. The jump sniping ability of the 3D is nothing to sniff at, but otherwise the weapon placement is pretty annoying. The high energy hardpoints of the K2 make it the better choice in sniper v sniper battles, imo.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dff6685449b3737

Edited by Ozric, 18 April 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#23 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

My secret sauce is the jumping 3 PPC Trebuchet (5J or 7M works)

#24 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 18 April 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

For me it just showed a 7K with (1) PPC, (1) AC5 and (1) SRM2.

Yeah save seems to be eluding me.!

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

The Trebuchet 7k has torso-mounted PPCs, this can be a problem for more advanced players who prefer the arm-mounted ones.

#26 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 18 April 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

I wonder if you realize that the 275 weights the exact same as the 280.

Yes, I am aware of this HOWEVER I had an extra 275 sitting in my inventory and since the 280 gives you exactly 0 more heat sinks, and only 1kph difference in speed I couldn't justify the 4m c-bill price tag when I already had a 275 just sitting there.

Thanks though B)

#27 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Best medium weight sniper build is the Cicada 3M with ppcs.

#28 Skulli Kerensky

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

This is the OP on my main account.

I decided to say the hell with it and get that Atlas RS I'd been admiring as my founder best friend's mech since closed beta.

Now with barely 10 million to spend, I certainly didn't trick mine full sniper like his, but I do have 3 large lasers, 1 AC/10, 2 streak 2's and 20 heat sinks (can't afford doubles yet!).

I'm showing 1.06 heat efficiency if I alpha strike, 608/614 armor (shave my legs!), and a 43 firepower rating.

All I have to do now is grind maybe 300 matches and I can get her really bad-arse.

Thanks for the help guys, had I stuck with mediums, I imagine a Hunchback 4SP was in my future! B)

#29 GrimlockONE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

You are going to want the fastest possible engine given the tonnage. I know I can get 2xERPPC on my 7K and an XL320.

I remember at one point having a 7M or 5J with 3xERPPC but it required FF,ES, and DHS to function properly.

#30 Dan Baxter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

Not sure if best medium sniper, but this is a Hunchback 4P that I use that can function as a sniper/harasser at range and a brawler at close range. Whether you use a PPC instead or use a standard 250 engine for more armor is up to your personal preference.

#31 Champion of Khorne

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostDan Baxter, on 18 April 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

Not sure if best medium sniper, but this is a Hunchback 4P that I use that can function as a sniper/harasser at range and a brawler at close range. Whether you use a PPC instead or use a standard 250 engine for more armor is up to your personal preference.

That or the SP were sure tempting!

Edited by Champion of Khorne, 18 April 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#32 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

Where's Prosperity Park with his mass driver?

Basically a fun one is a Hunchback P with 3 PPC's in the shoulder, 260 XL and like 16 DHS or so.

#33 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

I've got a trebuchet 7m...makes a great sniper. An ERPPC in each arm and two ssrms for close defense. You've got good speed, jumping capability and a well-rounded offense/defense. Larger mechs make better snipers, as most posters are saying, because you can put more ppcs and/or gauss on it. This allows for a maximum powered impact with a better chance of a kill. I like my trebbie though because it gives better mobility, and I can still rain down a lot of shots. The forums are pretty full of rage right now against sniper, especially jump capable sniper builds with ppcs. I've found my loadout to give me decent damage output, good survivability, and not much opponent rage. Two ppcs simply don't cause enough damage at once to deliver one-shot kills unless you are extremely lucky with a head shot.

#34 GT Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

I have a cn9-al. I did not build this as a specific sniper build but it works anyway. I am going by memory here but its got a erppc, LL, Ml and srm6. runs 80 before speed tweek if I remember right. It can get in close and can sit at range. Its meant to be a jack of all trades and I have to admit its been fun.

#35 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

If you've got a Centurion CN9-AL laying around, try this build:

XL275
2 PPCs or ERPPCs
2 MLs
Endo, DHS, etc

It's fast (98 kph w/speed tweak) and has good torso twist for shooting on the run (no convergence issues either). It's like an energy version of the Yen Lo Wang, only with unlimited ammo.

Edited by NRP, 18 April 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#36 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Or you could try something original.....

#37 HumptyWasPushed

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

3M Cicada 2 (ER)PPC's and ecm. Remember to laugh maniacally while watching your targets try to find you.

#38 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

I don't have my 5J always in this loadout, but sometimes I reconfigure it: TBT-5J PPC giver. Normally its in this loadout TBT-5J , the XL is used in 2 other mechs of mine. With those PPC's you can easily keep 2 ECM atlas... ECM's disabled, having them fired separately ofcourse. Having a 325 engine and 5 JJ's keeps you mobile. Its mainly a fun build, and can be effective, but I don't think I would consider it a "best medium sniper build" simply for the fact it doesn't run ER PPC's, which would probably make it run too hot with only 13 DHSs.

#39 my sticky yam sack

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostSkydrive, on 18 April 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

I don't have my 5J always in this loadout, but sometimes I reconfigure it: TBT-5J PPC giver. Normally its in this loadout TBT-5J , the XL is used in 2 other mechs of mine. With those PPC's you can easily keep 2 ECM atlas... ECM's disabled, having them fired separately ofcourse. Having a 325 engine and 5 JJ's keeps you mobile. Its mainly a fun build, and can be effective, but I don't think I would consider it a "best medium sniper build" simply for the fact it doesn't run ER PPC's, which would probably make it run too hot with only 13 DHSs.

That's a FAST ******, there! 105kph 50 tonner with cannons! :P

#40 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I love my HBK-4P with 3 PPCs. All in the hunch. You can poke the hunch around a corner and fire with 90% of your mech hidden.

Double HS and an XL let me go 90kpm with Speek Tweak and heat management is fairly easy. 30 damage all to the same location is pretty devastating.

Edited by Sug, 18 April 2013 - 08:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users