Best Medium Sniper Build Plz?

59 replies to this topic

#41 vectorpirate

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Good move getting the RS, OP. It is the way to go for a PPC sniper. This is the build I run: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b9ddbc3587f91. 4 ERPPCs, a STD325, and stuff the torsos with DHSs. Yes, it can overheat but the three alphas you can get off before it does are killer.

Edit: Excellent, it abbreviated a link for me. Trying again: <a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=18&l=cd63ab5912b03035a4d680113c9b9ddbc3587f91">AS7-RS</a>

Edited by vectorpirate, 18 April 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#42 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

View PostGrimlockONE, on 18 April 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

You are going to want the fastest possible engine given the tonnage.

True. In TT you'd see long range weapons in the slower mechs and short range in the faster. Now it's like the opposite in MWO. Snipers need to be fast and slow mechs need close range punch cause they can't get away.

#43 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I prefer snipers that can jump. It also helps you turn faster to nail ravens circling you.

I've had a lot of luck with a:
1 er ppc
1 Reg PPC
3 ssrm2
Trebuchet 7m
Mix heatsinks and xl engine size to suit. Three ish jump jets.

It takes a little skill.
The nice thing is that with 1 er ppc, jjs and streaks you can kill a raven 3l because a ppc disarms ecm long enough for a streak lock, and you canoutrun heavies. And keep them in ideal range for both ppcs.
I think mine goes 99 or 106 kph with speed tweak.

#44 Major Scumbag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Also look into the Jaeger. Arms are way high and can sport dual guass :P. Been having fun peeking over hills and sending 30 damage with one trigger pull. Guass is ammo dependent but uses only 1 heat. Plus a bonus. It flys very fast.

Edited by Major Scumbag, 18 April 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#45 Byk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

It's not really a big secret. Just mount as many PPCs as you can and enough heat sinks and you're good to go. Everyone wanted PPCs to be good, since they totally weren't before, and this is what happens.

#46 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yen Lo Wang Sniper

My Wang always shoots in very deep into enemy territory and it can pump it out almost non-stop. It's a Hero so you also get more bang for your buck. It runs XL so you might get shafted once in awhile if you play carelessly and the rear armor is a bit low so make sure you don't take it too hard from behind. Due to the lack of a shoulder actuator the huge cannon is a bit stiff so just adjust accordingly when aiming it.

#47 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

challenge accepted!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68faaa35a9f3acd

try that out.
3 weapons group.
lots of room to change around.
moves fast.
one jump jet is enough to turn fast, jump over small things, jump high enough to snipe etc. one is enough!

will not come into full effect till you have x2 basic effcienty.

have fun buddy and welcome.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 18 April 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#48 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I run a treb jumpie with 2 ERPPCs and a 300xl engine. Works decent, gives me the ability to still work in close range, and the speed and maneuverability to re position easily. I'm enjoying it.

#49 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes, what this game needs is MORE snipers

#50 Peg Leg Pete

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Here is my Trenchbucket TBT-7M build. It is good for sniping and provides medium support no matter what the range you are engaging at.

If you don't want to jump, you can pull the JJ's for an addition DHS, or trim 1 JJ and the SRM6 to an SRM4 to add AMS.

Edited by Peg Leg Pete, 18 April 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#51 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

*EDIT* I know it's not technically a medium mech, but most consider it to be anyway. :)

My favourite sniper right now is this.... DRG-1C

I'm surprised no one had mentioned the Dragon yet. The 1C is great because you can run over 100kph, and have a great high mounted shoulder hardpoint to fire those PPCs from.
You can also fit in a lot of DHS to support those 2x ERPPCs, which means you DPS is actually better than the 4 PPC or 6 PPC boats. Your alpha isn't as strong obviously, but you don't overheat nearly as much.

The speed is also fantastic for staying mobile and at range.

My issue with Medium class snipers is that they don't have the tonnage to support either the DHS to cool the PPCs properly or to mount a Gauss and not make alot of other sacrifices.
The Dragon really hits that balance, IMHO. Just don't play it like a brawler!

Edited by Ravennus, 18 April 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#52 Chalkman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have been sniping with my 4P effectively for a while now. HBK-4P

You have two weapon groups: small lasers and PPCs. You never fire both groups at the same time. As long as you keep them separate you have pretty good heat efficiency. Use the new arm lock feature. Keep your hunch safe. You only have to poke a tiny bit above a hill or around a building to get your head and PPCs on target, use that to your advantage.

#53 ScrubbinBubbles

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostElizander, on 18 April 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Yen Lo Wang Sniper

My Wang always shoots in very deep into enemy territory and it can pump it out almost non-stop. It's a Hero so you also get more bang for your buck. It runs XL so you might get shafted once in awhile if you play carelessly and the rear armor is a bit low so make sure you don't take it too hard from behind. Due to the lack of a shoulder actuator the huge cannon is a bit stiff so just adjust accordingly when aiming it.

I hope you put a lot of work into this post, because I just laughed my *** off. Well pun'd good sir. Well pun'd.

#54 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostPeg Leg Pete, on 18 April 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Here is my Trenchbucket TBT-7M build. It is good for sniping and provides medium support no matter what the range you are engaging at.

If you don't want to jump, you can pull the JJ's for an addition DHS, or trim 1 JJ and the SRM6 to an SRM4 to add AMS.

Personally for this one I would swap the LRM 15 and the SRM 6 around. Actually would either downgrade the LRM 15 to a 10, or the SRM 6 to a 4, or something just for more LRM ammo as well. Not to mention having your ammo in the side torso's instead of the left arm. Generally, atleast with a TBT-5J and the TBT-7M, head and side torso's seem to be the last area's to be stripped.

Wish I took a picture, but the biggest example of this was when I was in my 7M, I was fighting a Hunch 4G(F) in Canyon Network, that had 3 MG's, 2 ER Larges, and 1 Medium Laser (I used to run my founders hunch in this loadout too with a BAP and AMS, but missed the use of the AC 20). When we met, I was rather beat up already, he was rather fresh. I did kill him, but my CT, arms, and left leg were stripped. My right leg however was gone. Normally for a mech running an XL engine, I would want the JJ's in the torso and not the legs, but didn't have the room. So the weapons in the arms were fine, but the 1 JJ in the CT, and the 2 JJ's in the left leg were destroyed by the critical hits, and the other 2 were lying wherever my other leg was.

So basically, the Jump Trebs are the only mechs (that I know of) that you dont want to have any ammo in the legs, and definately not in the arms... unless it's gauss or NARC ammo, those are safe, especially gauss ammo, but who would want that in a jump Treb anyways?

Edited by Skydrive, 22 June 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#55 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

The Gauss-back isn't a terrible build. The high mounted cannon makes hill humping easy but it's also a huge target.

The Blackjack with a set of ERPPCs is also not a bad idea. It's small, fast, agile and if you work in tandem with other units chances are you'll be over looked. Remember, a PPC is a PPC, be it on a Jenner, Atlas, Stalker or even on a Blackjack.

I've give seen some advocacy towards the PPC Centurion. You can do quite a few builds with it from PPC/LRM platforms to mid range AC5 platforms.

The think about a medium as a sniper is you want to use your mobility to flank the enemy. Don't always attack from the front firing line and always try to use your mobility to get a better shot. Just remember while you're out there trying flank them not to wander too far because on that team is another medium and if he gets it in his mind he can rush you and make your life that much more difficult.

#56 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 April 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

Not sure if there is really a good sniper build for medium mechs. But here's an attempt:
TBT-5J - TrebuchetJumpSniper
Basically a Trebuchet with 5 Jump Jets and 2 PPCs.

Oh, and here's a funny one:
HBK-4H - SuicideSniper

Beats the Trebuchet by 5 points on its alpha, has more range. And a lot less armour, no jump jets.

Seriously, Mediums won't make good snipers.

Never take a Gauss on a Hunchback, I have, never again.

#57 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostMerchant, on 22 June 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Never take a Gauss on a Hunchback, I have, never again.

It's doable. Maybe not optimal, but doable.To be fair, I think the 4P with a few PPCs or Large Beam Lasers is a more viable build but the high mounted ballistic slot on the Hunchback allows you to minimize exposure to he enemy while making shots.

#58 TerebNeerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0f7fc887aa0925 : just keep moving (not in a straight line)

A slight variation:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b55ce3f1411f87

#59 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e79bdb961a8194e

#60 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostKoniving, on 18 April 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Hunchbacks
4G (triple AC-2 or Gauss Rifle, or ditch the ballistics and just do an ER PPC in each arm with a laser on the head for backup.)

I second this one, with the triple AC2. It's ability as a "killer" is debatable, but it has incredible reach and an insane rate of fire. You can just barely get your right should out from behind a rise and send loads and loads and loads of lead down range. People tend to get the heck out of the open once you start laying into them with a triple AC/2. If they are silly enough to sit still or move too slowly, you can really deal out some damage with this in a very short period of time.

View PostBiggieboy, on 18 April 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Yes, what this game needs is MORE snipers

Bwahahahahaha! yeah, no doubt, right? :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users