Researching Davion

91 replies to this topic

#41 Justesp

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

I love to see all this faction rivalry in here, it really makes the forums and the universe feel alive.

That being said, join us instead! Fight in a war one year from now against an enemy everyone feels alright about killing! Then get killed by them as they rip our nation apart!

It'll be fun.

I promise.

#42 Damberville

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDallas Tx

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostJustesp, on 12 June 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

I love to see all this faction rivalry in here, it really makes the forums and the universe feel alive.

That being said, join us instead! Fight in a war one year from now against an enemy everyone feels alright about killing! Then get killed by them as they rip our nation apart!

It'll be fun.

I promise.

Thats the spirit Rasalhurgian.... umm, Rasalhaguian... crap... FRR dude.

#43 SurvivorX

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostSychodemus, on 12 June 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

When considering the Federated Suns should have your loyalty, you really only need to ask one question:

Did Hanse shoot first?

Hmm, I was leaning towards declaring for Davion, then I saw this post.

Steiner it is then!

#44 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostSurvivorX, on 12 June 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Hmm, I was leaning towards declaring for Davion, then I saw this post.

Steiner it is then!

The others may have the cookies, but House Steiner owns the cookie factory.

#45 Lethewaters

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOhNoThereGoesTokyo!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostSinquiewn, on 04 June 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Can you guys give me a link or tell me anything special Davion has over all the other Factions
Sell me some good Propaganda ^^

Davion had Hanse Davion aka "The Fox". A man who united 2 Realms (Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns), and on his Wedding Day, gave his wife pretty much all of the Capellan Confederation (I would d love to see a Liao's face at that announcement)

Secondly, Davion also had Victor. Yes he sued for peace but people could not leave the man alone. He was cocky at first but learned QUICKLY. He earned the respect of the Clans on numerous occasions (It is even rumored a few clans got his DNA). Moreover, the FedCom Civil War started without him, but he finished it and was a People's General (Proven earlier in his career when he rescued Hohiro Kurita from the Nova Cats, his regiment volunteered to complete the mission on a 2 week pass if the brass did not approve it).

Victor could have possibly reunited the Star League had history been different. He was in love with a Kurita as well as repected by The Coordinator Theodore Kurita and his son Hohiro (and many other DCMS officers). He was also friends with Isis Marik (who years later became his wife after Omi's assasination by his sister) and was even respected by Thomas Marik even though he had replaced the man's son with a clone. If you dig deep enough you may even find a Liao (not including Kai) that liked Victor.

Plus Davion has New Avalon Institute of Science (NAIS)

#46 William Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostUrgewyrm, on 12 June 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

You should join Davion if you like having your sworn leader ( who's a bit of a perv ) pistolwhip other mechs and bludgeoning them to death with their own limbs.

Also, if you like sexual assault.

Also, if you like having the dumbest citizens in the entire Inner Sphere.

The year is 3049, what "sexual assault" are you talking about Cappy :(
Capellan lies and propaganda!

Edited by William Knight, 12 June 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#47 Sigmund Sandoval

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, Draconis March

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

If there is one thing I can say about Liao in this forum is that they love quotes almost as much as they like to accuse others of being more infamous for barbarism than they.

We Davions have never treated a Liao citizen any better and certainly any worse than their own rulers have. A house of despotic rulers who treat their people as a useful resource which can be burned to drive their war machines towards their own inexorable and embarrassing military failure. It’s a system of slaves (your servitor caste is a caste of slaves no use denying it) and brainwashed martyrs who are too blinded by their Orwellian/dystopian culture to know any better.

The Capellan military brags of having the finest individual ‘mechwarriors in the inner sphere, yet their major strategic strength is due to the fact that their territory is so small, that it is easy to get reinforced. Let us not mistake bravery for the suicide that only a mind addled by years of “indoctrination” can commit. All for a government that appreciates them no more than they do a limp sword held by a weak hand.

Condemning us for being imperialist is the worst form of hypocrisy, since the true source for their bitter anguish is in their own failure to defend their worlds against a superior military force. Whether it be due to numbers, tactics, technology or luck it matters not. The winner is the winner and dominion over the inner sphere is the true goal of the Succession Wars. The constant attempt to villainize us for playing the same game as our Liao counterparts and winning only makes them look pitiful since pity seems to be what they are begging for. If anyone thinks for a second that the Capellan Confederation does not wish to be the “imperialist” powerhouse we are accused of being they are fools of the worst kind. They simply lack the will, power and resources to do so. It is a cosmic ship of fools captained by madmen and charted on an insane course.

The Kuritan’s are no better, but at least they are a worthy foe, perhaps the worthiest of all in the inner sphere. I hate the Dracs with all my heart, but respect them with all my reason.

Steiner…. I would rather serve a military that is based on a meritocracy and not an autocracy. Sorry mom, but it’s just the truth.

House Marik is perhaps the finest example of democracy in the inner sphere. They have stayed the course of a representative government far better than we have here in the FS. Yet, it is also prone to the inherent weaknesses we discovered during our own dalliances with these philosophies. Without a centralized rule, a state as large as an inner sphere house under the threat of constant warfare cannot react quickly and decisively enough to ensure the security of its citizens.

Make no mistake. The Federated Suns are ruled by House Davion. The dream of democracy was crushed by harsh reality and people who would use that system to destroy the liberty it was designed to defend. We are a federation of warriors and diplomats not merchants and tyrants. We live in a harsh galaxy that requires harsh rule. It is true; we have a reputation for loving personal freedom and liberty to think for ourselves, indeed that may be our greatest strength. Some might say that is hypocritical in light of certain realities. I do not see it as much hypocrisy and more like a paradox born of pragmatists who have lived between some of the most ruthless and pitiless opponents in history. Fight for your home. Fight for your right to think freely. Fight for the principles of the Star League or whatever lofty ideals you like. The simple matter of fact is that all the other alternatives are worse than what House Davion has to offer. The rest is propaganda.
--
"Crazy is the default state. Intelligence is the aberration. Intelligence is what happens accidentally when we forget to be animals for a moment."
-Jonathan Rosenberg

#48 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostUrgewyrm, on 12 June 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

You should join Davion if you like having your sworn leader ( who's a bit of a perv ) pistolwhip other mechs and bludgeoning them to death with their own limbs.

Also, if you like sexual assault.

Also, if you like having the dumbest citizens in the entire Inner Sphere.

The dumbest citizens you say? I find this ironic, coming from a member of the Capellan Confederation, who's leaders, might i add, censor everything and feed the public only the most ridiculous propaganda, much like the Communist states of China and North Korea back on Terra more than a full millenia ago.

#49 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 12 June 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

Of course he didn't - after all SunTzu was not a warrior, even though he had the training. But on the same hand is/was Hanse Davion not a politician, so this comparsion is rather unfair anyway.

Incorrect. It is true that both Sun-Tzu and Prince Hanse Davion were both politicians, but the Prince was warrior first, leader second. And, unlike Sun-Tzu, he was capable in both roles, where Sun-Tzu was only marginally able to run his own state!

#50 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKelestra City, Furillo, Grand Duchy of Furillo

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 12 June 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

The dumbest citizens you say? I find this ironic, coming from a member of the Capellan Confederation, who's leaders, might i add, censor everything and feed the public only the most ridiculous propaganda, much like the Communist states of China and North Korea back on Terra more than a full millenia ago.

Even if the CC is using propaganda to control people's perceptions, at least they have an opinion. The average Davion citizen doesn't even have the chance to form them due to lack of information at all. You're both equally blind, be it through neglect or misdirection.

#51 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostChuggernaut, on 12 June 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Even if the CC is using propaganda to control people's perceptions, at least they have an opinion. The average Davion citizen doesn't even have the chance to form them due to lack of information at all. You're both equally blind, be it through neglect or misdirection.

It's very helpful to remember that outside of New Avalon, the vast majority of Federated Suns citizens are both illiterate and dirt poor. You don't need to control the peasants with a system of propaganda when you have feudal lords willing to spend all available funds on the Fedsun military instead of simple things like schools and hospitals. If they're dumb, they're easy to control.

#52 Atomfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationBismarck North Dakota

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Tell that to the farmer who moved to New Avalon

#53 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostAtomfire, on 12 June 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Tell that to the farmer who moved to New Avalon

The truly exceptional aren't barred from elevation in any of the five Great Houses. If that farmer can afford to buy land on New Avalon he is one of those people. Doesn't change the fact that his neighbor who wasn't so lucky as to trip over a Star League library nobody owned will spend his entire life an an illiterate potato farmer who will raise illiterate potato farmers and infantrymen for the planetary militia.

That's like the Cappies saying their caste system doesn't matter anymore because Talon Zahn is of low birth, and if one exceptional individual can overcome institutional obstacles than those obstacles don't exist. And hey, that's a better argument because it's a canon character.

Edited by Chuggernaut, 12 June 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#54 ltmyndonos

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCalifornia- the Land of Fruits and Nuts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Potatoe farmer? No where did I read that the Irish were in the Fed Suns. Scottish, yes, but Irish, no mention that i'm aware of. But if that is the case, I've found my home!

#55 Jad Ivask

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationThe aging theofascist hellhole of Fremont, NE.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostSigmund Sandoval, on 12 June 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Yet, it is also prone to the inherent weaknesses we discovered during our own dalliances with these philosophies. Without a centralized rule, a state as large as an inner sphere house under the threat of constant warfare cannot react quickly and decisively enough to ensure the security of its citizens.

...The Taurian Concordat begs to differ. Very, very stringently.

#56 Urgewyrm

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Did the Taurians ever get that whole asteroid defense thing working properly? Might come in handy some day.

#57 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostUrgewyrm, on 12 June 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Did the Taurians ever get that whole asteroid defense thing working properly? Might come in handy some day.

Someone got it working... wasn't them, though.

#58 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 12 June 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Citizens of the Confedearion receive free education. They all can read. The same cannot be said about the people of the Federated Suns.

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 12 June 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Incorrect. It is true that both Sun-Tzu and Prince Hanse Davion were both politicians, but the Prince was warrior first, leader second. And, unlike Sun-Tzu, he was capable in both roles, where Sun-Tzu was only marginally able to run his own state!

Still Sun Tzu was able to recapture nearly everything that Hanse Davion took from the Confederation in less time and with less bloodshed. Oh, and he killed Hanse with words only. Makes him the better leader in my book.

#59 BFalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostMax Liao, on 12 June 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

1. So, because Hanse Davion couldn't take a freekin' joke...

I don't seem to recall that old Max found the joke at the Steiner-Davion wedding too funny either. :lol:

And even the Capellans don't accept that the Capellans are innocent - I seem to recall that their secret police pretty much assumes guilt of at least SOME crime...

#60 BFalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostWilliam Knight, on 12 June 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

The year is 3049, what "sexual assault" are you talking about Cappy :o
Capellan lies and propaganda!

Maybe he's referring to the Confederation and how it got erm... sexually assaulted... during the 2 Galahads and later Wedding Invasion... :lol:

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users