Fixing Poptarts: The Entertaining Approach

60 replies to this topic

#41 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 18 April 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

If it is, I havent noticed it and it should be cranked up to a semi-significant amount.

It's pretty significant on that one spider variant that has 12 jets. That extra heat is the only thing keeping those 2 medium lasers in check.

Edited by FunkyFritter, 18 April 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#42 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostFunkyFritter, on 18 April 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

It's pretty significant on that one spider variant that has 12 jets. That extra heat is the only thing keeping those 2 medium lasers in check.

Ooohh, 1 variant that uses a mass amount of them...so "significant".

#43 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

I like this idea. Overheating in mid-air should have consequences. And the comical factor is a bonus.

And the game is using CryEngine 3 afterall.

Check these out: http://mwomercs.com/...t-body-physics/

I wonder how much can be applied to these big ole mechs?

#44 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Or just if you fall from too great of a height you take more leg damage and fall down. This would stop a lot of situations where poptarting is amazing now (because you'd have to save fuel for the way down) and stop them shutting down midair aswell because they'd have to be awake to let themselves down more gently. Not too easy, like maybe if you use 90% going straight up you need to save 10% for the way down or something, but jumping off a building or jumping down you'd need to save more for that fall.

#45 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 18 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

This idea is epic hilariousness. Just need to add heat for jumping.

No need for Knockdown or shut down or increaesing leg damage.

Just the above meantioned IDEa, THATS IT.

Dont understand those anti ppc jj threads. SURe, they are Anoying but moar annoying than a raven 3l or a dual ac20 build? no way.

IT was clear that the highlander would be a game changer.BUt it isnt that a drastical change. I can handle it.

EDIT:

Even thou send a light to annoy the "poptards"
Annoy them by lrming
Focus fire once theres a static "poptard"
Use ya artillary and airstike

WHat ever please dont ask for change this change dat, just try different tactics.

Edited by Legolaas, 18 April 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#46 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostLegolaas, on 18 April 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

No need for Knockdown or shut down or increaesing leg damage.

Just the above meantioned IDEa [increase heat for jumpjets], THATS IT.

Dont understand those anti ppc jj threads.

WHat ever please dont ask for change this change dat, just try different tactics.

I disagree. Partially because heat from jumpjets would hit a lot of lights lights pretty hard, but mostly because it's far less entertaining than my idea.

I think the whine about poptarts is overblown, but rounds with a lot of them are typically super unfun. You can adapt, wait them out, rush when they're distracted, and take them out... but it's soooo boring waiting for that moment.

I'm not asking for CoD, but SitWarrior Online grinds on my soul, and watching Cataphracts topple out of the sky would make it all better.

#47 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 18 April 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

I don't have that much issue with them at the moment. But they are going to need to be fixed. When the clans come do you really want to see 100+ dmg poptart alphas? Heck using clan weapons the HGN-732 could be throwing 60dmg per jump out there.

To me 45 in a jump is pushing it. It can core most mechs in a couple of volleys and take the legs or 1 shot most lights. Now imagine that with 15 dmg ppcs.

I don't know how it should be done, but IMO anything over 50tons should probably not be jump sniping (reliably hitting targets over 300m or so) for the sake of balance going forward.

This game really isn't ready for Clan Tech. And by this game, I might actually mean the PGI's design/balance team.

Clan Tech will raise the damage output possible in the game by a notable margin, but it won't improve the defensive capabilities of mechs in any way.

#48 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 April 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

This game really isn't ready for Clan Tech. And by this game, I might actually mean the PGI's design/balance team.

Clan Tech will raise the damage output possible in the game by a notable margin, but it won't improve the defensive capabilities of mechs in any way.

Very true about their current balance.

But Clan tech could increase defensive. Their ES & FF take 14 crits. Any mech that currently uses ES could use FF as well if they are allowed Clan upgrades. While that does not ensure that people take more armor, more armor will be possible because of available tonnage.

But Maxes won't change, so really you are just going to see mechs cored faster than ever when the clans come.

So, ya. You are right. People are going to get alpha'd all over the place when clans drop. They really will need to add 50% more armor again. Instead of running 100 armor on my CT I will be running 150. That might make it possible to deal with the amount of firepower people are going to be carrying.

#49 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

People already are at max armour most of the time right now. So you will only get weight savings so you can store more guns, heat sinks and ammo.

Maybe if they changed FF so it gives bonus armour points or damage reduction? Screw canon/lore/battletech rules?

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 19 April 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#50 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

"Fixing Poptarts: The Entertaining Approach"

How can you fix something that isn't broken? *shrug*

#51 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Why not just implement knockdown in general (both via ramming and via being shot) and make it much more likely for you to be toppled and slam into the ground if you are shot while in the air?

#52 Wildman13

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 92 posts
  • Locationseabrook, tx

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

Since PPC's are "supposed to" disrupt ECM modules, why not have them disrupt jump jets for 5 seconds. That would be nice counter.

#53 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 19 April 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

Maybe if they changed FF so it gives bonus armour points or damage reduction? Screw canon/lore/battletech rules?

They need to do something to make it viable. Balance > canon.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 19 April 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

How can you fix something that isn't broken? *shrug*

Broken is going a bit too far, but they do have a large advantage that takes zero skill to use. Every time I'm in a poptart, I feel bad for the people I'm shooting at. Mostly, I want this because it would be funny, but I also do like the idea of forcing poptarts to manage heat instead of just alpha striking away.

View PostSephlock, on 19 April 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

Why not just implement knockdown in general (both via ramming and via being shot) and make it much more likely for you to be toppled and slam into the ground if you are shot while in the air?

Because that's months off and requires a bunch of other work to be done. I'd like it, but it's far easier for them to just make hitting the ground while shutdown at a certain speed to cause a 'mech to fall over.

View PostFatDaddy, on 19 April 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

Since PPC's are "supposed to" disrupt ECM modules, why not have them disrupt jump jets for 5 seconds. That would be nice counter.

Interesting... I feel like it would hit lights and jumpjet brawlers too hard, but I'd also love to try this out on a test server to find out (can has test server?).

#54 Lrrpdude

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostEvilCow, on 18 April 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

And cockpit shake, welcome to MWLL.

But that would be too a rational approach, does not apply.

Agreed, significant cockpit shake is needed along with some sort of reticule bloom/loss of weapon accuracy. This solution would only effect poptards and nothing else. Jump jets would still be viable for quick turns, escaping enemy mechs and getting over obstacles.

NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED! < with regards to poptarting.

Edited by Lrrpdude, 19 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#55 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

this would be so awesome. they already have falling in game.

#56 Target Rich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

My fix....

4th successive pop jump....activates an automatic in game video...

said video shows a huge toaster oven coming down from high....

along with a huge spatula which scoops said pop tart into toaster oven...'

which then zooms upward out of the match...

Maybe a "Hot fix...???"

#57 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Overheating while running or jumping should cause you to take a tumble. Too bad collisions aren't in until after launch.

#58 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Having a wider variety of maps to play on would fix a lot of the problems with the game. Plenty of the problems boil down to, at least in this build of the game, having too many long sightlines to take advantage of builds boating long range PPCs/Lasers.

The turnover, slow, on maps is ridiculous though. I appreciate them doing stuff like rolling out Alpine MOUNTAIN on a bet, but they need to have made an 8 v 8 version of that monstrosity, too.

Tourmaline is a pretty good big map. There are plenty of areas in the map to break line of sight with. It's a shame that brawling builds are still not as bananas as long range boating though, even if you are able to close in.

"what's this got to do with poptarting?"

If maps have more cover, then sniper-tarting becomes less reasonable to do since you're sacrificing something to load JJ's

#59 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 18 April 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Edit: You could argue that knockdown was super glitchy with teleporting and all sorts of nonsense. I'd argue that would only enhance the comedic value of my solution.

Love it, but...

I think this is a better solution.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Keep Highlander on ground; full time job.

(Shots by Lordred. Check out more here!)

#60 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 18 April 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

I disagree. Partially because heat from jumpjets would hit a lot of lights lights pretty hard, but mostly because it's far less entertaining than my idea.

I think the whine about poptarts is overblown, but rounds with a lot of them are typically super unfun. You can adapt, wait them out, rush when they're distracted, and take them out... but it's soooo boring waiting for that moment.

I'm not asking for CoD, but SitWarrior Online grinds on my soul, and watching Cataphracts topple out of the sky would make it all better.

Once i said heat for jj i meant heat for those class 1 and 2 jj´s. You guys allways love to blame any idea which makes moar sence than yours.

AGAIN jj class 3 used for jenners and lights wont be effected from dat.

Edited by Legolaas, 19 April 2013 - 03:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users