[Suggestion]Arms Survive The Torso Destraction

29 replies to this topic

Poll: Arms are tougher (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree?

1. Yes (1 votes [1.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.47%

2. No (64 votes [94.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 94.12%

3. Abstain (3 votes [4.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think it's better for the arm to survive the torso destraction, with now there is no reason to shoot an arm of when you can shoot the easyer to hit torso.
I also think it's cruel so lose half your mech cause you stopped a moment later and your torso got out of cover.

My suggestion is that the arm will survive torso destraction but the weapons will be fixed with the torso weapons. The other arm won't be affected

Edited by Egomane, 17 April 2013 - 12:08 AM.
Changed third answer to "Abstain"

#2 veri745

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Do you also think your own hand should still work after someone cuts off your arm?

#3 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Does your body still work on the right side when someone has severed all the nerves in your torso?

No?

[REDACTED]

Edited by Viterbi, 16 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.
Removed directed comment

#4 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I cannot walk with one leg either but mechs do staff i cannot do

#5 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostM0rpHeu5, on 16 April 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I think it's better for the arm to survive the torso destraction, with now there is no reason to shoot an arm of when you can shoot the easyer to hit torso.
I also think it's cruel so lose half your mech cause you stopped a moment later and your torso got out of cover.

My suggestion is that the arm will survive torso destraction but the weapons will be fixed with the torso weapons. The other arm won't be affected

This would only mask the issue that is leading to the current imbalance, pin-point hit locations on all weapons across all locations.

#6 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

What is the arm connected to if not the torso? If the torso gets blown out I see no good justification for why the arm should stay.

#7 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

The arm is connected to the shoulder. When the side torso is destroyed, the shoulder no longer exists. Therefore, the arm falls off.

Working as intended.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

For all mechs? Most likely not possible.

But for certain mechs? Maybe?

Depending on how Mech sections getting destroyed can be coded, the idea could serve as a way to add more variety to how we fight particular Mechs, and seems plausible based on my understanding of how Mechs are put together in-universe.

For example, like the Yen Lo Wang or any other mech with a Torso section not holding a weapon hardpoint (where the weapons would be mounted inside the section), the internals could be durable enough to keep the arm attached until the arm gets torn up itself.

I could be wrong, but why not discuss it anyway?

http://www.sarna.net...nal_Composition

Edit: noticed I missed an "-ly" for likely

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 16 April 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 16 April 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

For all mechs? Most likely not possible.

But for certain mechs? Maybe?

Depending on how Mech sections getting destroyed can be coded, the idea could serve as a way to add more variety to how we fight particular Mechs, and seems plausible based on my understanding of how Mechs are put together in-universe.

For example, like the Yen Lo Wang or any other mech with a Torso section not holding a weapon hardpoint (where the weapons would be mounted inside the section), the internals could be durable enough to keep the arm attached until the arm gets torn up itself.

I could be wrong, but why not discuss it anyway?

http://www.sarna.net...nal_Composition

Edit: noticed I missed an "-ly" for likely

No. When a side torso is destroyed, all internal structure is gone. All components are destroyed. There is no "durable enough' internal structure to survive. It has been this way since time immemorial.

#10 0I0

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I was really trying to figure out what torso destraction was, then I realized how crazy this was pole was.

#11 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

Even if in theory the arm managed to remain attached, all of the controls leading from the cockpit to the arm would be destroyed, leaving it a non-functional limb.

#12 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I will distract your torso for your arms to survive! Now go! We have little time to lose!

#13 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

After thinking about it, it would seem better to simply increase the HP for Internals.

No more dividing by 2, if you can put 32 Armor points on the arm, then that section has 32 HP for Internals, not 16.

#14 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

hmmmm.....

I think there is room for change on this issue, but it would be only for certain mech types and it would have ot be very specific, so i do not think the dev team would spend time on it for code making exceptions to base rules.

For instance, some mechs "arms" are really just "more side torso" like on a stalker. For something like an atlas, no way should the arm stay. But on something like the stalker, or a catapult type(arms are on top as missile pods) ehhh, maybe something could be worked out. IMO, there are better things to spend time on though, like more new mech releases instead of rehashing existing ones to add quirks.

#15 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

I am not talking about what is physically possible or not, i am talking about game ballance and fun. For example you see and AC40 jagger and want to strip it couse by the time you'll need to kill it you'll die 1st. All you have to do is shoot it's wide left/right torso and the arm will fall off but if the arm could still fuction after torso destraction then you'd be forced to aim a little harder.
(Before i get more trolling i must say that i don't use ac40 juger couse i find it extremly boring)

P.S.:Some people should get the time and think a bit little before thay start vomiting

#16 Strelitzia

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

This is already implemented in the game, if you run an XL your arms stay on after your side torso is destroyed ;).

Edited by Strelitzia, 17 April 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#17 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Ooh yeah, and let's add the head surviving even if the Center Torso is blown away!

Posted Image

View PostDeadlyNerd, on 17 April 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I will distract your torso for your arms to survive! Now go! We have little time to lose!

For great justice! All your distracted arm are belong to us!

View PostM0rpHeu5, on 17 April 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

P.S.:Some people should get the time and think a bit little before thay start vomiting

Yep. Like the guy who made Post #1 up there asking for arms to hover in space once the shoulder supporting them is destroyed "destracted."

"Hey, right torso- look over here!"
-right torso glances aside, arm falls off-

Edited by Alois Hammer, 18 April 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#18 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

so then why can you still stand/walk hell even run at 75 kph when your WHOLE ******* LEG has been shot off. you cant have it both ways so dont give the op so much stick

#19 PaladinXIII

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

View Postbuttmonkey, on 18 April 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

so then why can you still stand/walk hell even run at 75 kph when your WHOLE ******* LEG has been shot off. you cant have it both ways so dont give the op so much stick

When I use to play COD4 why did people die when I shot at their pinky toe or I shot their weapon itself? For that matter how could someone run in those games after jumping off a building? Oh you got shot 32 times? Just hide behind a wall for a few seconds, and you'll magically stop bleeding and hemorrhaging.

Game Logic, that's why.

Because the creators realized that if they had made it to where you lose one leg and you fall over, then everyone would go for the legs only and this would be KneecapWarrior, but at the same time they wanted players to think about their armoring and whether or not they need to take the damage else where.

Case in point, I have the internals on the Right Torso of my mech exposed and the enemy is in front of me. I have 25% armor left on the right arm and 25% left on my left arm. One arm carries an AC/10 and the other arm carries an SRM6, while the right torso carries 2 medium lasers (Made up mech and weapons), and there is a high probability that the enemy's next attack will strip the armor off either arm if I shield and I could possibly lose the arm I shield with or the weapon.

There are 2 choices:
Take the damage to the front, which will most likely lead to the destruction (distraction) of the right torso and with it the right arm and weapon
Let either arm take the damage with the risk of losing the arm and the weapon

So choosing to shield leads to loss of possibly one weapon while the other choice leads to loss of not just a torso with 2 medium lasers but to the loss of the right arm and weapon as well.

This game requires thinking and strategy not just shooting what is in front of you. If you still have a problem that you can fight with one leg, then by all means shutdown your mech when it happens, I'm sure the other team will understand.

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 17 April 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

After thinking about it, it would seem better to simply increase the HP for Internals.

No more dividing by 2, if you can put 32 Armor points on the arm, then that section has 32 HP for Internals, not 16.

Great Idea, because Atlas needs 126 HP for internals to go with the 126 HP of armor.

#20 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Matter of structure OP. If the side torso is destroyed the structure supporting the arm either no longer has the integrity to support that arm or in many cases is simply no longer there to support it. It is useless if there is no or compromised structure when you attempt to move it because whatever is keeping it attached is going to give under the stress if that something can actually provide the rigid structure required to move the arm.

That arm also weighs a good deal. Best case scenario is it actually falls off, and throws off your 'Mechs balance only once. Worst case scenario is that it stays attached by monomer bundles and flops around as you move constantly taxing your already unbalanced Battlemech's (You did just lose a torso and all that is in it after all) gyro to its limit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users