#41 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 April 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

While I appreciate the effort they put into ATD, sadly all the things they're willing to talk about have been asked. The first few were really awesome, but the latest ones just haven't been very interesting. I can't imagine anything new coming out before around launch(information wise), so we'll have another few months of No Plans/We Can't Discuss This Yet/Etc. The only new stuff we get coming up is going to be in patches, and won't be talked about until shortly before the patch/monthly updates.

I understand, though, that there's just not that much they can do about it. Things are as they are, and if they're not willing to talk more about major launch features (re: CW, Clans) now, they're not going to in two weeks either.

Yeah, at this point I try and avoid the hot topic stuff. They obviously know they need to work on missiles but there isn't much you can say as they are just iteratively tuning most likely, same with MG's which they want to avoid a zero heat small laser.

There are interesting things they could talk about though so I try to figure something out that gives them ideas rather than trying to force them to discuss things they are already working on and would discuss if it made any sense at that point.

So far, got an answer on mechs in the cockpit, YAY, digital camo, YAY and maybe LIGHTNING MAP OMG!!! I can just imagine turning a corner and *Flash* "OMG there's an atlas!" *Boom* then it goes dark.... Want it so bad.

Edited by Jetfire, 19 April 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#42 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 19 April 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

This is honestly all the proof i need to say this isn't considered a beta by them anymore. Having a public test server during a beta is the definition of redundant. [...]

I know I may get a warning from the mods for saying this but the continued deceptions are really going to come back and bite both PGI and IGP in the arse. A lot of us that play this game are not stupid and can easily see through PR and marketing spin.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 19 April 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#43 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Great job on the game! Keep up the good work! :D

#44 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

So... no answer to the appearance of infantry, armor, aircraft, convoys or an eject button, yet again. I guess I will give it another shot next week, but I believe the foundation of my expectation has already been answered: Check back after launch.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'll answer my own question:

Infantry? No
Armor? Maybe
Aircraft? Possibly
Convoys? Possibly, we're not ready to discuss that right now
Eject Function? No plans

#45 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 19 April 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

This is honestly all the proof i need to say this isn't considered a beta by them anymore. Having a public test server during a beta is the definition of redundant.

I think the best thing we could do is ALL of us play on the test server at all times. Since, we are suppose to be beta testing anyway.

Even in a closed beta you test stuff before you release it to the servers. A PTR just helps cycle testing faster. Do you really want them live tuning the servers throwing bugs in and out all the time making the game unplayable for a lot of people? They are different animals, neither makes this a finished game.

#46 Kairae

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

The biggest think from a Public Test server is it allows the community to abuse bugs before they hit the live community and majority of players.

#47 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostJetfire, on 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Even in a closed beta you test stuff before you release it to the servers. A PTR just helps cycle testing faster. Do you really want them live tuning the servers throwing bugs in and out all the time making the game unplayable for a lot of people? They are different animals, neither makes this a finished game.

Yeah, but a public test server...in a beta.

That is the whole point of a beta, we ARE the public test server already.

Live tuning the servers in beta? YES.

Are you saying that the servers we are currently on are in release?

Have we really gotten so far away from understanding what a beta is at this point?

#48 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Let me ask this question. So they make a patch and patch it to the internal servers. Then they patch it to the public test server. Then they patch it to the beta server.

When the same thing happens that happens now, are we going to add a super secret semi-public test server in as well?

#49 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Love how they spent so much effort answering with "TBA" and skipped questions that were able to be answered.

#50 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 April 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Yup.

You won't see borders significantly change, because they cannot allow houses to be weakened beyond a point as it doesn't lead to good gameplay. Individual non-essential planets will change hands, but major borders won't move much.

The reality is that a large persistent map introduces a lot of issues with "The Strong Get Stronger and the Weak Get Weaker" - the factions doing better will see players moving over to their side, and fleeing the losing factions, which just exacerbates the problem.

They've got to design the system in such a way that being on a losing faction isn't terribly depressing. And, yes, before people get all up in arms with there "I love to be the underdog!" while some people do like that, the majority certainly do not. Look at the history of most PvP games with cross server battlegroups, and how that often develops.

This is all quite correct, in a game design sense.

The problem is that MW:O is tied to an IP in which the major borders do move, considerably. An IP with quite clear winners, losers, strong factions, and weak factions.

If the ultimate outcome of the game is already known, what is the purpose of community warfare? Please do not read emotional content into that question. Since we (likely) can't move borders, what is it that we will gain via CW victories?

Edited by Bagheera, 19 April 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#51 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Will CW be first person only?

View Postryoma, on 19 April 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Love how they spent so much effort answering with "TBA" and skipped questions that were able to be answered.

Yea, they do that a lot, and if anyone thinks that will change in launch theyre fooling themselves

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 19 April 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Yeah, but a public test server...in a beta.

That is the whole point of a beta, we ARE the public test server already.

Live tuning the servers in beta? YES.

Are you saying that the servers we are currently on are in release?

Have we really gotten so far away from understanding what a beta is at this point?

Yeah and this isnt one. We arent being expected to test anymore when they have a test server TO test things lol

#52 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostBagheera, on 19 April 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

This is all quite correct, in a game design sense.

The problem is that MW:O is tied to an IP in which the major borders do move, considerably. An IP with quite clear winners, losers, strong factions, and weak factions.

If the ultimate outcome of the game is already known, what is the purpose of community warfare? Please do not read emotional content into that question. Since we (likely) can't move borders, what is it that we will gain via CW victories?

They aren't ready to tell us that, duh! TBA.

#53 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 19 April 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

They aren't ready to tell us that, duh! TBA.

:D

Well played.

#54 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postshintakie, on 19 April 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

So we have a beta in our beta now?

Huh.

Betaception!

#55 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostJames Montana, on 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

So... no answer to the appearance of infantry, armor, aircraft, convoys or an eject button, yet again. I guess I will give it another shot next week, but I believe the foundation of my expectation has already been answered: Check back after launch.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'll answer my own question:

Infantry? No
Armor? Maybe
Aircraft? Possibly
Convoys? Possibly, we're not ready to discuss that right now
Eject Function? No plans

Combined arms? Passive and active radar modes? Now where have I seen that before!?!?

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 19 April 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#56 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Seriously though? CW... first person only or what guys

#57 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Did any of you actualy listen to the comment about the Public Test Server in NGNG #38? It was about using a PTS to help balance Clan Mechs by testing them before they hit the Public Server. Clan Mechs are suppose to come out after launch.

#58 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostEddrick, on 19 April 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Did any of you actualy listen to the comment about the Public Test Server in NGNG #38? It was about using a PTS to help balance Clan Mechs by testing them before they hit the Public Server. Clan Mechs are suppose to come out after launch.

No, I don't listen to NGNG, I still hold hope that important things will be posted on the forums.

And it sure didn't sound like he was talking about the PTS being for after launch.

#59 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

six months after launch, yes

http://mwomercs.com/...s-after-launch/

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 19 April 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#60 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I hope that's not the case or you are limited to when you can play on the test sever or the Public server will be dead.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users