Is It Good At All?

61 replies to this topic

#1 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Finally I have a computer that can handle MW:O, so I came looking to see what's up.

Here's what I find:

1) ECM is not only broken, but the devs are not listening to feedback about it in any real sense.

2) ComStar mechs, like the Highlander, are poptarting away.

3) Missiles are up, then down . . . basically all over the place.

I wanted this thing to work, really guys, I did, but things don't look very good from here.

I'm not trolling - really - and I'm not looking for the consoling "internet forums, beware" speech.

I'm earnestly asking: is there a game here? From where I sit, there are some pretty convincing arguments that there's not (variety of tactics and real options keep narrowing, see nos. 1, 2, and 3 above). I've seen plenty of bad MW games, and honestly, there's very little that's convincing me that this is anything different.

Cheers, and thanks to any respondents.

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#2 B1SCUIT

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

It's really just a **** poor excuse for a mechwarrior/Btech game at this point.
Pretty good vehicle to bilk btech fans outta cash tho!

p.s.:the mechs look good.that's about all it's got.

Edited by B1SCUIT, 19 April 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#3 Chris Morris

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yeah, it is a lot of fun. Don't worry about what other players are doing and just try different builds and enjoy it. Perfect balance only occurs in games like checkers or chess, balance is always going to fluctuate with patches and the flavor of the week builds and mechs.

Excellent gameplay to be had here. There is plenty to do and mess around with here. You are going to lose, you are going to win some. Sometimes there will be nasty bugs too. But I make my own fun, and it is not that hard here.

Edited by Chris Morris, 19 April 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#4 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Honestly, this game will never be anywhere near BT in the tactics area. Pinpoint accuracy and min/maxing make this a shooter sim. The tactics part is hopping on TS/Vent/whatever and talking with the other guys in your lance/group.

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostAlekzander Smirnoff, on 19 April 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Honestly, this game will never be anywhere near BT in the tactics area.

Because BT is a boardgame. Translated to video-games... a TBS game.

No FPS ever reaches teh level of tactics/strategy in a proper TBS game. Simple as that.

#6 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

OP: Sounds like you're forming your opinions based on Forum chatter. Don't. Play the game yourself and see what you think.

#7 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Finally I have a computer that can handle MW:O, so I came looking to see what's up.

Here's what I find:

1) ECM is not only broken, but the devs are not listening to feedback about it in any real sense.
ECM is getting another pass, but it's more a less where they want it. Some people hate it, while people like me find it only slightly annoying, and once enemy ECM stops jamming friendly IFF tags, I won't even find it annoying. ECM is really only a problem for LRM boats and streaks.

2) ComStar mechs, like the Highlander, are poptarting away.
Mech came out Tuesday. Highlanders will fade away once the magpies find next month's mech. Last month it was dual AC/20 Jagers, now it's poptart Highlanders. Plus once you learn where the cover is, they aren't all that hard to kill.

3) Missiles are up, then down . . . basically all over the place.
Missiles, like everything else in this game, is going to see popularity rise and fall. Currently, with the splash damage removed from them as that system gets a much needed fix, LRMs are in a bit of a slump. Then again, Poptarts are more a less immune to LRMs anyway (always have plenty of cover to hide behind), so it's not like LRMs would help change the current meta any.

I wanted this thing to work, really guys, I did, but things don't look very good from here.

I'm not trolling - really - and I'm not looking for the consoling "internet forums, beware" speech.

I'm earnestly asking: is there a game here? From where I sit, there are some pretty convincing arguments that there's not (variety of tactics and real options keep narrowing, see nos. 1, 2, and 3 above). I've seen plenty of bad MW games, and honestly, there's very little that's convincing me that this is anything different.

Cheers, and thanks to any respondents.

Most shooters are lacking in tactics tbh. There are tricks and skills that you can use to help counter various builds, along with tricks to counter those counters, and what not, but at the end of the day no FPS is going to be very deep.

#8 B1SCUIT

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 19 April 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

ECM is getting another pass, but it's more a less where they want it. Some people hate it, while people like me find it only slightly annoying, and once enemy ECM stops jamming friendly IFF tags, I won't even find it annoying. ECM is really only a problem for LRM boats and streaks.
Mech came out Tuesday. Highlanders will fade away once the magpies find next month's mech. Last month it was dual AC/20 Jagers, now it's poptart Highlanders. Plus once you learn where the cover is, they aren't all that hard to kill.
Missiles, like everything else in this game, is going to see popularity rise and fall. Currently, with the splash damage removed from them as that system gets a much needed fix, LRMs are in a bit of a slump. Then again, Poptarts are more a less immune to LRMs anyway (always have plenty of cover to hide behind), so it's not like LRMs would help change the current meta any.

Most shooters are lacking in tactics tbh. There are tricks and skills that you can use to help counter various builds, along with tricks to counter those counters, and what not, but at the end of the day no FPS is going to be very deep.

That's the problem.When people bought into founder's packs,we were promised a "thinking man's tactical shooter".not just another CoD in mechs.

#9 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the responses. At this time, it doesn't look like something I'd be interested in. I appreciate the input, however.

Cheers.

#10 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostB1SCUIT, on 19 April 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

That's the problem.When people bought into founder's packs,we were promised a "thinking man's tactical shooter".not just another CoD in mechs.

Hawken is CoD in mechs. MWO shares the mechs aspect with Hawken, but that's about it. MWO is far deeper then Hawken or CoD. Heat management, torso twisting, load out selection (even if the FoTM is poptart), shot positioning (so you can kill that nasty weapon they're using), momentum and mech positioning all have key roles in MWO. Most of us have had these transcend into the realm of instinct at this point though, so we hardly actually NEED to think about them, but they're still there.

#11 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostB1SCUIT, on 19 April 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Yeah and instead of putting that money toward expanding the content they put out. They're working on 3rd person view. And other games. I was honestly expecting their to be more content. Granted they are releasing stuff monthly. But I would have thought they would have put more into this game >.>

#12 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostB1SCUIT, on 19 April 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's really just a **** poor excuse for a mechwarrior/Btech game at this point.
Pretty good vehicle to bilk btech fans outta cash tho!

the game is awesome...

#13 Tarball

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Here is my response to your silly questions. Go play a few rounds and answer your own questions. Duh.

#14 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 19 April 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Thanks for the responses. At this time, it doesn't look like something I'd be interested in. I appreciate the input, however.

Cheers.

You have 332 posts in the Mechwarrior forum to date... clearly there's nothing here to interest you at all.

#15 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think its pretty good just needs some "mode" like community warfare and less bugs/better fps.

#16 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

the reason missiles are either very OOP or very UP. is because they are a bad. binomial mechanic. all counters turns it either on or off.

and their counter ECM/AMS is also binomial.

Edited by Tennex, 19 April 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#17 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostB1SCUIT, on 19 April 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

well... the mechs look REALLY good. ;)

#18 Falcon554

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 19 April 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Cheers.

Lets see its free so why not try it? what are you losing? The game is fantastic,

#19 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostRat of the Legion Vega, on 19 April 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

You have 332 posts in the Mechwarrior forum to date... clearly there's nothing here to interest you at all.

But none since last July, so that should tell you something, eh? Like a guy who has the chance to see what is up, asking a question of those who are more experienced.

Cheers.

#20 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Wait until may at the very earliest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users