How many of you play the tabletop game?

51 replies to this topic

#1 T S Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationLuzerne

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

I am not going to make this a poll but I am curious how many people will still play the table top/board game when MWO is released next year? I know that I for one will always play the board game version I enjoy it and it was really my introduction to the game itself. This also allows me a chance to get the hell out of the house and enjoy the company of friends who also play when we get together for the campaign.

#2 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

I played the tabletop game regularly from 1997 to about 2003. After that it basically became impossible to find players (My gaming group does D&D. We did one campaign based on a d20 conversion of MWRPG that included some BattleTech.) and in any case, changes they made to the universe turned me off. When I got wind that PGI was getting back to basics and rebooting the franchise, I almost literally leapt for joy.

Edited by CaveMan, 07 November 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#3 Johnathan Underwood

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Off and on since the mid-80s. I try to keep up, though.

#4 Red Pins

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

Yup. Ever since it came out in the 80's. I spent a few years playing solitare games, Company vs Trinary, but I've found a regular opponent from the University here for now.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

I played regularly every other weekend till about 3-4 years ago. Then I lost my drive. Maybe it had to do with (almost) always being the OpFor. Or maybe it had to do with having quite honestly doing it all. I played sporadically at my local Commando/Agent's table (Lobsterback) and really had a great time. I played the Mechs I never used at our table. I used a Stinger, Firestarter, Vulcan and a few other "shunned" Mechs (in our group). I had a blast!

I am looking forward to playing this New MechWarrior game and maybe even dusting off what's left of my Minis and blowing up the bad guys once again! :)

#6 Radman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationWinter Garden, FL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Funny. I just dug all of my stuff up in the basement. My 6yo son thinks it's the coolest thing and we played a single turn of it last night. It'll be nice to have a "built-in" opponent!

#7 Argatson Krieghammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNot hiding in your closet

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

sadly, I never played Bettletech, only the more recent Mechwarrior Dark age game released by Wiz Kidz

#8 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

Been playing since 97. Still play bi-monthly at the LGS.

#9 T S Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationLuzerne

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

View PostArgatson Krieghammer, on 08 November 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

sadly, I never played Bettletech, only the more recent Mechwarrior Dark age game released by Wiz Kidz

Well Argatson if you want to learn the 25th Anniversary box set is supposed to be re-released later this month and you could try finding opponents online at megamek.com I believe is the site.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2011 - 07:23 AM, said:

I played regularly every other weekend till about 3-4 years ago. Then I lost my drive. Maybe it had to do with (almost) always being the OpFor. Or maybe it had to do with having quite honestly doing it all. I played sporadically at my local Commando/Agent's table (Lobsterback) and really had a great time. I played the Mechs I never used at our table. I used a Stinger, Firestarter, Vulcan and a few other "shunned" Mechs (in our group). I had a blast!

I am looking forward to playing this New MechWarrior game and maybe even dusting off what's left of my Minis and blowing up the bad guys once again! :)

The Opfor is never really fun if you are always playing it.. my friends and I have taken a break and have only been doing lance on lance battles for fun. Have to get back to the campaign but the guy running it is away for work till the 18th.

View PostCaveMan, on 07 November 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

I played the tabletop game regularly from 1997 to about 2003. After that it basically became impossible to find players (My gaming group does D&D. We did one campaign based on a d20 conversion of MWRPG that included some BattleTech.) and in any case, changes they made to the universe turned me off. When I got wind that PGI was getting back to basics and rebooting the franchise, I almost literally leapt for joy.

What changes were those if I may ask?

#10 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

I've played the board game on and off for the past 10 years. I have not played recently though. I'll have to get my buddies to break out the tables and create a campaign.

#11 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PostT.S. Hawk, on 08 November 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

What changes were those if I may ask?

The nonsensical Jihad, the even more ridiculous Dark Age, getting rid of/changing the Clans significantly, all the new uber weapons that were being released every other month. It was too much to keep up with. They lost me. Plus with WizKids pushing ClickyTech and M$ pushing Mechassault, CBT became the red-headed stepchild of the franchise and that just made me angry.

#12 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Me, thought it has only been Megamek matches in the last couple of years.

#13 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

*sigh*

not in far too long

Although, my 7yr old daughter might, might be swayed....she has the Starwars bug....so who knows...... but then I think her mum would crucify me for trying to do that :)

#14 Wolvers

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAustralis

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

yep, just got back into it actually after a couple of years not playing. Started off with 2nd Ed and still playing it, now with Level 3 rules.

#15 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

I played TT and Dark Age, though I spent most of my time with Dark Age.

Mainly did TT with my siblings and best friends (all as crazy about MW as I), and my brother and I just started playing MegaMek,

#16 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Been a longtime player, but had a long dry spell. Ive finally started bringing a couple friends into it, Started them out with a game using the new box set. The plastic mechs aren't great, but loads better than cardboard cutouts, and really seemed to grab their attention. Hopefully all the metal minis I've been painting /converting will encourage them to keep coming back.

#17 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

Trying to sucker friends into a Thursday night game, but sadly my regular groups for anything have had schedual conflicts for the past couple years so I have a hard time doing any real gaming on the grid.

#18 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

I play, but stick mostly to the Succession Wars eras. Anything past that and I get lost, to be honest.

#19 T S Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationLuzerne

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 08 November 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

The nonsensical Jihad, the even more ridiculous Dark Age, getting rid of/changing the Clans significantly, all the new uber weapons that were being released every other month. It was too much to keep up with. They lost me. Plus with WizKids pushing ClickyTech and M$ pushing Mechassault, CBT became the red-headed stepchild of the franchise and that just made me angry.

Well I agree with you about the Jihad and the dark age but I have heard rumors and not sure how much of it is true but that stuff came about because of WizKids and the rumor I heard is that Catalyst is going to rewrite things from there to be much better.. not sure or not but it would be interesting.

#20 Sartris

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Every Monday. Love the variety of gear. 3025 play gets old for me pretty quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users