How many of you play the tabletop game?

51 replies to this topic

#41 Randolph Carter

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Been a player of the table-top game since the late 90's, a small collection of us that played Classic Battletech. We never really ventured past 3067, though pretty familiar with ISL3 tech for the purposes of designing on HMP. Just didn't really follow MW Dark Age. Not a lot of players in our area, though I've since switched coasts.

#42 Gawain Emrys

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMargate, kent, England, UK

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

Been an inconsistent player since buying the 2nd Ed boxset while I was still in school and, TBH, I still prefer the old Succession Wars era and still miss the Unseen Mechs. The Clans just never did it for me, though the Timber Wolf is an iconic design.
I've been collecting the Catalyst edition since just before they got the rights from FanPro and I'm really impressed. I hope MWO can live up to it.

OT: Am I the only person out there who wants to hear Big Finish audio get their hands on some of the novels?

#43 T S Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationLuzerne

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

The unseens can be gotten but they are a hefty price. Though I do like some of the newer re-seens.

#44 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'm blessed to have a group I can play with on a weekly basis. Took a bit to teach them, but it was well worth it. If you have a normal RP group (such as D&D, Pathfinder, VTM, or whatnot), try to get them into CBT.

The tricky part is to get a Hunchback pilot to NOT run up and melee an Atlas. Had one of the players do it and my Atlas blew the head off. Lucky shot.. but still.. don't run up on the Death Head lol.

Playing as a GM with scenarios, hoping to engage in competitive play once they have a better grasp.

#45 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

I only played the table top game a few times a couple years ago. I had some time to kill, so I went out, got a hold of enough mechs for a well rounded star, and even got a copy of heavy metal pro from a fellow player. Had fun converting many of my MW4 variants into tabletop ones, and was surprised how well they worked in it, all things considered.

But, given it felt like it took 45 minutes to resolve a one on one (lucky gauss or ppc cockpit shots notwithstanding), it did not really stick to my interests for long.

#46 Sartris

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 13 November 2011 - 07:43 AM, said:

I only played the table top game a few times a couple years ago. I had some time to kill, so I went out, got a hold of enough mechs for a well rounded star, and even got a copy of heavy metal pro from a fellow player. Had fun converting many of my MW4 variants into tabletop ones, and was surprised how well they worked in it, all things considered.

But, given it felt like it took 45 minutes to resolve a one on one (lucky gauss or ppc cockpit shots notwithstanding), it did not really stick to my interests for long.

Pretty typical for the first few times playing the game. After you get used to the rules, it moves along at a decent clip.

Edited by Sartris, 13 November 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#47 benefedaykin

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEarth... possibly

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

I've played MegaMek but I've always wanted to give the actual table-top game a try. I downloaded some of the quick start PDFs from around the web, but I've got nobody to play it with... I'm in college, so pretty much everyone is either drinking or playing video games or both.

There are a few D&D groups around, so maybe I'll have to try and convert one of them ;D

#48 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

Right now I currently have the following active with groups:

Dark Heresy - Currently a group of 12 people, one grand campaign. The game started almost year ago and still going strong.

Shadowrun - We are on the final chapter of my campaign, all the pieces of the mystery is known and now its just up to the group to figure things out and get to the final fight / conflict and then cleaning up loose ends. Roughly 6 people.

D20 Zombies - Friends campaign which I am a part of, set in present day and featuring characters based on ourselves, roughly 8 people.

Twilight 2013 - 4 people, just bought this game and going to do a test run with it, looks interesting and a game is scheduled for later in the month.

"Dark Past" - home made system still a work in progress (Alpha testing) based on percentile dice and set in a steampunk future with some science fiction ties. Currently 7 players testing.

Tabletop Wargames:

Warhammer Fantasy - 1000 point High elves
Warhammer 40k - 1500 Space Marines & a 1000 point Elder

I think that is about it for now, I may of missed something but not to sure ill make another post if I remember.

#49 Garuss Acine

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

I play, haven't in a long time, at least no in person. had a few good games on MegaMek. I have a mix of older and newer mechs for the IS, and I have done my best to get older Omnis and second line Clan mechs.( a few 3058+ slipped in there), though this has been slightly broken for Protos(I love the little buggers). I lost count of my total mech count, but I should be having 7 Stars of mechs and then another 2 of mixed units(BA, Protos and Mechs) so nearly a Cluster, as for IS mech I can't even begin to fathom other than an reenforced Battalion. this makes me want to go dig and see if anything else is hiding in other boxes. thanks OP :)

#50 brave

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationGermany, Stuttgart

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

I play! We play Classic an Miniaturerules and every years we present a small con für uns and friends.
And i like to play mechwarrior (pc) and mech-commander!
So, we see us MWO

#51 Bubba Gump

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Played sence to 80's. Was the first kid on my block to take down a clanner Thor with a 3025 Marauder :)

#52 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

MWO will not be an adequate substitute, just filler.

This is doubly true because of the fact that they opted to not have single player campaigns.

Actually, just the contrary, I'm hoping that if the game is true enough to the Tabletop, it advertises the existence of the tabletop, and it is popular enough, we should see a spike in new, or at least interested and potential players.

'Course, if we start going down the MW4/MechCommander/Mechassault road of hyper-simplification and distancing itself from the standard Battletech layout, then the number of interested players will certainly not be as high as if it were otherwise.

The problem with online games is that beyond the game itself, it relies heavily on the quality of the community, requiring social engineering from Devs, as well. Even if their game is top notch, if the player base is full of exploit-using jerks (again, see Mechwarrior 4) then very few people will continue to want to play online. By making it 100% online, the developers have put all the eggs in one basket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users