Minimum Range For Erppcs

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Minimum Range For Erppcs (104 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You agree with the OPs suggestion?

1. Yes (17 votes [16.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.35%

2. No (87 votes [83.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Better to balance it by lowering the rate of fire, making it a lot harder to use in a brawling situation (which was part of the Gauss balance adjustment IIRC).

#22 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

1 I don't want to see a buff for missile damage until they fix the splash damage and HSR for missiles because if we get a buff now then we'll see these same issues as with the PPCs and then people will complain about it too. The Problem with going back to 15 heat is that our heatsinks do not work like they do in TT; as it is my CPLT-K2 runs 2 ERPPCs (since otherwise I would only have 10 damage for brawls) and 20 DHS to handle the heat (10 of them being internal + 2 in the engine slot). With these I will hit 35% heat firing both and will dissipate about half that before I can fire again. So what I'm saying is that heat becomes an issue fast with just two and if ERs got a worst minimum range, or even any minimum range, than the PPC I would rather take a hit with max range and get the cooler running PPCs making boating even worse. If I were to get behind a heat increase it would have to be only a slight increase due to DHS not working like TT values making the ER/PPCs virtually useless. I do like the splash damage idea though I don't think too many others will agree (look at how people think of the LB 10-X). I think the heat system needs a look at in terms of punishing hot running builds that constantly overheat far beyond their thresholds. A Stalker 3F has about 70 heatcapacity with the elite skills each shot does (6*8=48 or 6*11=66) the regular PPCs can get away with 2 alphas without any trouble but the ERs can only do 1 alpha before they have to cool to 0 to fire again with out trouble but we rarely see this. Instead we see them taking that second alpha shot bringing with some cooling to around 110 heat that is (110/70=1.57 or 157%) there should be a big penalty for this. As for the "poptart" style I don't see it lasting long after a few updates and nerfing PPCs won't change the tactic just the type of weapons (ex: LL and ACs).

Edited by FireSlade, 23 April 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#23 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

horrible idea. defeats the whole purpose of erppc

#24 Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, no minimum range.
But heat should be increased for PPC/ERPPC, maybe 8.5 and 12 respectively. Or 9/14.

#25 Almagnus1

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

If I recall correctly from some of the elder MW games, you could actually overheat badly enough that alpha strike = suicide.

Allow that to occur here, would be a decent solution, especially for some of the nastier PPC heavy builds.

Also, if someone does a shutdown poptart, legs need to take more damage on impact because the control system is offline when they impact, so the mech can't land as gracefully as it would have.

#26 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

REVERSE Suggestion for regular PPC's:

Enter, the Field Inhibitor On/Off Switch

Game Rules

In the Tactical Handbook, a PPC Field Inhibitor could be disabled by a player before firing. This allowed the unit to fire a PPC at units inside the minimum range. The normal minimum range modifiers were then ignored.

"On" - As is now for PPC's (degraded 'safe' damage from 0 to 90M)
"Off" - Full Damage in minimum range (minmum range modifiers ignored) at the risk of causing damage to your own Mech or the PPC taking damage until it is destroyed

#27 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostAlmagnus1, on 23 April 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Once we have access to Clan Tech, this is going to be a lot more balanced than it currently is.

True, but that's hardly comforting, is it?

#28 Almagnus1

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 24 April 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

True, but that's hardly comforting, is it?

My good chap, would you like some Brie, Swiss, or Cheddar?

I hear it's a smashing addition to that fine wine.

#29 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostAlmagnus1, on 24 April 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

My good chap, would you like some Brie, Swiss, or Cheddar?

I hear it's a smashing addition to that fine wine.

I tried, but it's out:

#30 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

Outside of LRMs which supposedly arm after a certain distance, Any weapon that fires in a straight line should not have a minimum range! My Opinion, now shared.

#31 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

Just do like the Gauss. Make its Health 3. Then any return fire has a good chance to knock out the weapon. :wacko:

#32 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

View Postblinkin, on 23 April 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

6x ERPPC at 15 heat each on a stalker should crank out 90 heat. <-that is enough to shut down most mechs outright. and would end most of the "nerf the PPC" complaints infesting the forums now.

When the hell was the last time you saw a 6 ER-PPC stalker?

#33 Sturmforge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Just remove the minimum range from the regular PPC. They did it with the Gauss Rifle.

#34 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostSturmforge, on 24 April 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Just remove the minimum range from the regular PPC. They did it with the Gauss Rifle.

Either this or make the "sim" experience with another button management press with the Field Inhibitor. (turn on/off minimum range modifier)

#35 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 24 April 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

When the hell was the last time you saw a 6 ER-PPC stalker?

this thread is about the ERPPC, so that is where i am keeping my arguments focused. even the 10 points of heat that is standard was standard for PPC would make a chunk of difference.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users