Any Suggestions To Improve Fps?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

I understand the recent FPS drop is as much an issue with the last two patches as anything, but it has taken my game to the point of being unplayable. So, I am looking for suggestions to try and get it to the point of being playable until they fix it, and even better once performance is restored. Here is my setup:
AMD A6 3650 at 2.6GHZ (quad core, I think)
Radeon 6730 GPU
8G RAM

Connection is 12 down, 1 up

On low settings, I was getting in the mid 20s FPS before the 4/2 patch. Now, it is 12-15. I know my connection is terrible. That will be improving in the near future, but would that alone improve FPS? What other suggestions do you have?

#2 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

I started out in December and had never really got more than 4 to 8 FPS. I have had the rare game at 20 FPS and that is like a gift from heaven. One game like that I had an LRM Raven 4X and got three kills and 4 assists with MPL's after softening up the other team. About 10 days ago I took 1/2 a day scanning the labtop to improve the functions. Now I can get close to 12 FPS, but at times I still get 4 FPS. I use the labtop for work, borough business and sewer authority work. Playing online is something I have avoided, just due to time constraints with everything else I do.

Try to get a disk cleanup program with a function to increase the speed.

My laptop is a three year old Toshiba, but it does have a function for a gaming mode. Before I did the disk clean up I was shutting down due to heat issues. Now post clean up, I have not shut down to heat yet. I would shut down in mech lab if I spent 3 minutes in it and that is why I did the clean up after the patch in the beginning of the month.

#3 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Tell us more about your RAM. I hear upgrading RAM on the APU's makes a big difference.

#4 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Sorry, the Radeon is a 6530. As far as memory, don't quote me, but I believe it is DDR3

#5 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Also forgot to mention it is using Direct X11, which I recently discovered is not the same one MWO is using. It has worked so far, but would dropping that to DX9 have an effect on framerates?

#6 Bad Karma 308

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostPastor Priest, on 23 April 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

Also forgot to mention it is using Direct X11, which I recently discovered is not the same one MWO is using. It has worked so far, but would dropping that to DX9 have an effect on framerates?

No, the DX11 API is inclusive of DX9 which also makes it backwards compatible with the earlier releases. So you would see no difference in your FPS. The game calls which every one it needs from withing the DX11 API. Plus trying to remove DX11 and reinstall 9 would most likely see you end up with a really dorked up OS and then having to reload it.

Edited by Bad Karma 308, 23 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#7 unFearing

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

You should all try this: http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

It boosted my frame rate for games by like 5-8fps I suppose.

#8 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I guess that program is worth a shot. I'll check it out tonight.

Any other ideas? I know it's not a super powerful gaming rig, but it should be able to run the game at a decent FPS right?

#9 kracked49

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 103 posts
  • LocationI quit!!!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

The A6 chipset is a dual core processor. I too was playing on a laptop I had a simular setup with an A8 chip which is a quad core processor. My frame rates were also around 17 to 20 fps. I also tried everthing to increase the frame rate but nothing helped me. I finally gave up and built a top of the line computer. The two choices that you have is to either invest in a true gaming laptop which can be quite expensive or build a good computer. I will never play the game on my laptop again as the computer that I built has a 70+ frame rate.

Edited by kracked49, 23 April 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#10 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

try to tone down on graphics settings shaders etc

esp 4xAA filtering are the killers

set res to around 1024 by 768 and then work you way up till you find a frame rate that you are happy with

MSI afterburner is also another tweaker software for GPUs but be warned

#11 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostPastor Priest, on 23 April 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

I understand the recent FPS drop is as much an issue with the last two patches as anything, but it has taken my game to the point of being unplayable. So, I am looking for suggestions to try and get it to the point of being playable until they fix it, and even better once performance is restored. Here is my setup:
AMD A6 3650 at 2.6GHZ (quad core, I think)
Radeon 6730 GPU
8G RAM

Connection is 12 down, 1 up

On low settings, I was getting in the mid 20s FPS before the 4/2 patch. Now, it is 12-15. I know my connection is terrible. That will be improving in the near future, but would that alone improve FPS? What other suggestions do you have?

Nothing personal, but 20FPS with the hardware you have is pretty impressive.

#12 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

View Postkracked49, on 23 April 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

The A6 chipset is a dual core processor. I too was playing on a laptop I had a simular setup with an A8 chip which is a quad core processor. My frame rates were also around 17 to 20 fps. I also tried everthing to increase the frame rate but nothing helped me. I finally gave up and built a top of the line computer. The two choices that you have is to either invest in a true gaming laptop which can be quite expensive or build a good computer. I will never play the game on my laptop again as the computer that I built has a 70+ frame rate.

Not quite. Just double-checked it. Both my desktop's system specs and the AMD site state the 3650 has 4 cores.

View PostDragoon20005, on 23 April 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

try to tone down on graphics settings shaders etc

esp 4xAA filtering are the killers

set res to around 1024 by 768 and then work you way up till you find a frame rate that you are happy with

MSI afterburner is also another tweaker software for GPUs but be warned

Graphics are about as low as I can get them. I can't remember what my res is, but I'll try tweaking it again. What's wrong with MSI?

#13 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Your CPU(APU-w/e) is fine, as is the RAM.

I would recommend getting at least a 6670 with GDDR5, it can be Dual-Graphic'd with the 3620.

Or spend a few bucks and get a 7790.

I run an A8-3870K @3.5Ghz with a 7870 @1125Mhz, and 16Gb of RAM, getting 45-60fps all day long.

#14 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostPastor Priest, on 23 April 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Not quite. Just double-checked it. Both my desktop's system specs and the AMD site state the 3650 has 4 cores.

Graphics are about as low as I can get them. I can't remember what my res is, but I'll try tweaking it again. What's wrong with MSI?

View PostPastor Priest, on 23 April 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

like any OC software just be care not to go overboard with the OC

in case you fried your GPU

only do this unless you got enough cooling

#15 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

The game's odd.. a friend was getting terrible framerates with a Intel G620 (2.6GHz dual core) and a GTX460. Everyone (including me) told him his CPU wasn't up to MWO.

A while ago, his GTX460 blew. Then, a friend offered to lend him a GT240. When he asked me if it could run MWO, I told him no... it could, and he's currently getting better framerates than he did with the GTX460, while his housemate with a GTX460 is really struggling framerate-wise. So, it's playable on a GT240 with a sub-par processor, while it isn't on a GTX460 with a decent processor.

Very odd :/ it just seems to not agree with some components- I have a GTX470 and haven't had a framerate problem since June.

#16 Darkdraw

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have dual 6770s and an AMD quad core 9850 processor with 8 gigs of ram. It's not the latest and greatest, but it is far above the recommended specs to run MWO. I have everything set to the lowest settings, including the screen resolution, which seems to have larger impact on performance than any other graphics setting. I can get the game to show me about 30 FPS in game when my mech starts up. On Alpine it even gets up to 60 or so. It does not actually perform that well however. When the match actually starts, it hovers just below 25, and it dips in and out of sub 10 FPS when I am in any kind of action. What's funny about this is that I was playing on dual 4670 cards before the last patch, upgraded my system with the 2 6770 cards, and now the game runs about the same as with the old cards. My CPU does not seem to be the bottleneck. It really loads my cards down to run the game, but barely buts a load on one of the CPU processors. I tried messing around with the user.cfg files here found here: http://mwomercs.com/...d-usercfg-file/. They are hit or miss, but worth a shot at trying for you. Hopefully they will resolve this issue soon enough. I really don't think it is our machines that are the problem. DX11 might be the cure. I hope something is. As with everyone else having this issue, I can run any other game well on high settings.

#17 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I get just under 15 frames regardless of settings, with a Phenom x4 840 (4x3.2), GTX560 w/3 gb adn 8 GB of system ram and have tried just about everything... gonna try the razer tool and see what happens, otherwise I can only hope that DX11 and /or engine optimizations will eventually cure a problem that I really think I shouldn`t be having...

*Edit1* Tried it... no appreciable difference at any setting, still 13-15 fps with occasional dips to >10 :P

*edit2* The "low end" config from the link in Darkdraw`s post brought me up to stable 25 fps with SweetFX enabled, with a negligible loss in visual quality. Definitely worth looking at, I`m a believer now ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 24 April 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#18 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

So, how do CFG files work? Do I just copy and paste to a word doc?

Edit: I think I have it figured out. Will make the changes tonight and see what happens.

Edited by Pastor Priest, 25 April 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#19 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostunFearing, on 23 April 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

You should all try this: http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

It boosted my frame rate for games by like 5-8fps I suppose.

I run on a non-gaming, but decently fast, lap-top. I use Game Booster and it does absolutely nothing for or against my FPS.

If you're wondering, I run it anyway for the screenshot and recording functions, though recording will make the game un-playable, since the recent FPS drops.

#20 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

I would suggest MSI Afterburner software to tweak your GPU clock speed

but be sure that your laptop have good cooling or you end up with a fried GPU

it happen to my Acer laptop running ATi GPU X700 series

you have been warned!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users