Community Cgi Project - Requesting Mechs 3D Models

14 replies to this topic

#1 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hello,

I would like to make unusual request and see, if there is a will for cooperation on this project. We need high quality 3d models of mechs.

///So what is this project about?///

In our company, some of us are huge mechwarrior fans. So while we are doing a lot of commercial stuff, we are also working on our portfolio. For a few weeks we are already playing with idea to make a short CGI video based on mechwarrior universe.. We were discussing and researching option but we always felt to same time trap. There is not just enough quality - high poly mech models..most of them on internet sucks ..and we just don't have time to model and rig them along side of our full time paid projects.

But recently I found this section of forum and honestly, I am very surprised how many talented artists are here and showing their work.. Really awesome work over here guys. So we got a idea..What if we join with MWO community and from our project make "community project"?

We have no idea how people here will react.. but as long as we wont try, we wont know. Some of you guys are working or done some really nice mech models..so will you consider to pass these models to our team. What we will do in a short term is:

-Texture theese models (if wont be already textured) and make some high quality render tests and also make some short videos with static mech model in some nice environment.

-Rig these models (if wont be rigged) and try few tests animations.

We will put these renders to our portfolio but we will of course put name of creators to credits. Also, you, as author of the model will be allowed use our renders and videos for his own portfolio as long as he/she will credit our work :D

If everything will go well, we can proceed to our next step. Make short, CGI scene..preferably battle-scene.. In this stage..whole MWO community will be able to contribute.. with additional models, ideas, script or anything.. We would of course show current stage of development and inform you about our successes or problems we are facing. We can't promise you anything of course, but you have my word, we really want make this from start to finish..even if it wont be a short ride.

I understand you may or may not believe me if we are even able to do something like this..and while is fair to show you guys our work, it's a bit complicated what we can and what we can't show and we really don't want put us into some trouble(lot of customers dont want us to show beta versions of projects or even talk about what we are doing, so we are allowed to show only a few).

But I can show you at least something..

I am working for a few years with 3d graphics and this is few yours old CGI test.

for more recent work it's a bit problem.. We will make some demo reel even with footage used in commercial projects but we are not allowed to show it yet..at least not everything. But here and there, we are doing some test renders from different stuff so I uploaded few clips to my channel. But Please, keep in mind, these are just test. Using lower quality render settings, scenes,textures and materials are not polished, nor there is any sound design.. Just some tests made just in few hours each. But feel free to take a look.

Let us know what do you think.

#2 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostForestGnome, on 26 April 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

They closest they have come to give out the models was showing everybody how they made them. If they gave out their models they would probably be put to shame, just like with all the user made maps for cryengine 3.

Not sure I understand correctly but I don't want PGI to give out models..but some other users here. Or did I misunderstood you?

Anyway, would be nice to have at least one quality model for some basic setup and renders. Too bad there is not enough will to cooperate. Maybe people are afraid, or just don't care...in the end..it doesn't matter. So we have to hunt for some high quality models in other places. Hopefully, we can find some before we will give up in this project..

#3 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

I think you are overreacting a bit. Not anyone looks in these subforums everyday, and it takes a while to find the right people.
I would send HanaYuriko a PN, she did a lot of really great work, and i guess she would be really proud to see her mechs set up professionally.

http://mwomercs.com/...082-hanayuriko/

#4 Citizen Erased

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMontsoult (Paris) - France

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

I can redirect you on the better cgi mech artist i know : http://punakettu.deviantart.com/

Some really cool mechs. I just love his Timberwolf... Posted Image

#5 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

thank you IqfishLP and Citizen Erased for contacts :D.. I already contacted few artists I found here. So hopefully I will be able to play something pretty soon ..

Maybe I really overreacted. There are many people willing to help so we may move forward. Thanks again guys.

Anyway Mad Cat/Timber wolf is really badass .. ;)

#6 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I don't normally release my models to the public because I don't want to find them being sold on turbosquid and elsewhere. A few people have gotten them privately however.

#7 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

I would like to thank HanaYuriko. She allowed me to choose any of her mech 3d models to work with. I always loved Mad Dog/Vulture so I am very happy this is a first model I can work with.

Model is successfully imported into 3ds max and first thing we have to do to make correct UVW mapping..we will see how many parts we have to unwrap completely.

Posted Image

We will work on model in our free time so I have no idea how long it will take..but I guess I will finish some test renders in couple of days.

Hopefully you will like it and more people will join and we can try to make some battle scene in the end :P

thanks again Hana.

#8 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Have you tried contacting Joe3142?

He makes pretty good models and is usually ahead of PGI. Maybe he could lend you his Orion model.

http://mwomercs.com/...updated-270313/

Then, it you'd like soem unseens into it, GreySho used to have a few great models... altough I haven't heard of him in quite a while. Here's his DeviantArt page if you can't contact him here: http://graysho.deviantart.com/

http://mwomercs.com/...dow-hawk-model/
http://mwomercs.com/...k-model-anyone/

#9 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

View Postmania3c, on 29 April 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

I would like to thank HanaYuriko. She allowed me to choose any of her mech 3d models to work with. I always loved Mad Dog/Vulture so I am very happy this is a first model I can work with.

Model is successfully imported into 3ds max and first thing we have to do to make correct UVW mapping..we will see how many parts we have to unwrap completely.

We will work on model in our free time so I have no idea how long it will take..but I guess I will finish some test renders in couple of days.

Hopefully you will like it and more people will join and we can try to make some battle scene in the end :huh:

thanks again Hana.

I was a bit afraid that my model would look like absolute dreck when converted from *.cob to *.obj, then imported to 3DS. That's three different software formats! Still, it looks good so far. And as for my U/V mapping, I generally just do some half baked box mapping and slap on decals like a plastic model kit since what I do is for personal projects. Good luck with that part though. I do not envy the task since my models can consist of dozens of objects. At least you can mirror half of the parts in this build.

I can hardly way to see what you do with it!

#10 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostAdridos, on 29 April 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

Have you tried contacting Joe3142?

He makes pretty good models and is usually ahead of PGI. Maybe he could lend you his Orion model.

http://mwomercs.com/...updated-270313/

Then, it you'd like soem unseens into it, GreySho used to have a few great models... altough I haven't heard of him in quite a while. Here's his DeviantArt page if you can't contact him here: http://graysho.deviantart.com/

http://mwomercs.com/...dow-hawk-model/
http://mwomercs.com/...k-model-anyone/

yes, I am in touch with joe3142 already ..when he will finish mauler model,he will consider to pass it ..so we will see.. Would love to play with his models too :huh:

Hana..importing had few glitches like flipped normals but nothing serious or hard to fix.. so in the end...it took me just few minutes to have fully working and fixed model in my workspace in 3ds max.. However, texture mapping didn't preserved that well..but I have already first pass of mapping done for CT, side torso, and platform .only leg left...and model will be ready for some basic material tests and hopefully, I will be able to play with it and make some quick shots in Element 3D..

I temporary removed cockpit from model to make poly count a bit lower :D..still it's a beast poly count wise ..but it's doable :lol:

Edited by mania3c, 29 April 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Good to know.

Also, one more 3D artist I know of who has made a hi-poly mech model: http://tylerdean.car...jects/4599578#2

#12 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

First render test just to see how it will works..Model provided by HanaYuriko

Very basic setup...full HD but with just low quality ambient occlusion pass..also..one shot tried with Depth of field..keep in mind used method of DoF in this video is not very precise and it's pretty glitchy..;)

Anyway...good thing is that AE handled model very well and render time for whole video was less than 8 minutes ...Also I managed to correct most of the UVW map problems preserved from exporting and while there are still some issues which need to be fixed, render with simple texture is starting to look decent ..:blink:

Anyway..here is little request.. has anyone good idea for camo/texture style? Soon we will start to work on real textures for model..but TBH, i have no idea where to start :)

#13 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I recommend you get in touch with baabaa from Angels Of Death, he is very talented and has an amazing Catapult library.

http://mwomercs.com/...aabaas-cgi-art/

#14 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I contacted him too and told me he will look into it..but since than, we didn't talk..I don't blame him.. I see he is doing his own renders and while I would like to get his already textured models, which could speed up work considerably, I understand why he don't want to do that..

But for time bing, I have great model in my hands anyway, so it's not really THAT important..at least for now :)

But thanks again for tips my friend.

#15 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

View Postmania3c, on 29 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hana..importing had few glitches like flipped normals but nothing serious or hard to fix.. so in the end...it took me just few minutes to have fully working and fixed model in my workspace in 3ds max.. However, texture mapping didn't preserved that well..but I have already first pass of mapping done for CT, side torso, and platform .only leg left...and model will be ready for some basic material tests and hopefully, I will be able to play with it and make some quick shots in Element 3D..

I temporary removed cockpit from model to make poly count a bit lower :)..still it's a beast poly count wise ..but it's doable ;)

I saw the checkerboard image you sent me in PM. I see what you mean by how the mapping didn't really translate over. I have a simple image; white background with black TEST written all over it; to check size and orientation of my maps. Also I'm aware of what my cockpit interior is like. You got a stripped down version since I'd removed a lot of parts from my TWolf cockpit and stuffed it into the tiny space at the top of the Mad Dog. I'd have made a version with less physical detail and more reliance on maps, but I hadn't thought of actually sharing my toys in this case.

The video shows off the model nicely. Can hardly wait to see how this progresses.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users