Mwo Repair Tool Public Release

Repair Tool FRead

405 replies to this topic

#41 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

You guys should toss this in as an option after patching. Thank you for eliminating one variable for troubleshooting by releasing this.

Heck, give out 100 MC for running it and uploading a dump of the results.

I'd dig that ditch.

Edited by Skunk Wolf, 26 April 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#42 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

New version coming down the pipes. Changes:
*Additional check to ensure the tool is repairing the correct folder.
*Additional options:
-Clear downloaded FE textures (default on)
-Clear profile (default off)
-Delete systemoverride.cfg (default off)

Please give me 15 minutes to verify it one more time, then I'll upload. I apologize for the difficulties in the initial release.

#43 Vrekgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Ran it last night after a CTD. Version 1.0.6.1

Seemed to run just fine, took awhile to scan all the files but it never hung. Was really wierd when it ended and it turned into the fix button, and it just *bink* worked instantly when i hit it.

My Level loads were REALLY fast afterwords. Usualy ive taken a long time to load the level and the match has started already by the time I get in and it runs through the startup animation. After the tool It was really fast loading.

Also noticed that the shader effects were different from before the tool was run. Was noticing what looked like heat shimmer particuarly in the caldera of Caustic Valley. Never seen that before despite me checking and all my detail and control settings were the same as ive set them. It looked Better than what ive normally had.

#44 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Ok, new version availble, with the fixes I described above. I will update my first post with the version number (1.1.0.0) and changes. If you have an older version, please download the new one.

View PostSeelenlos, on 26 April 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

Hi,

1. you should let the tool download with the game installer

2. You should add a last Line in your Manual:
If nothing helped, uninstall MWO, Download the new Installer and Reinstall MSO, " because we sometimes change the installation directory without mentioning it (from game\piranaha Games\ MWO to x:\program ...) and we still have not tortured our programmers to learn not to install the program under Admin-rights ...

But if you get to run the Game is still PURE FUN :ph34r:

1. Yep, as mentioned earlier, the tool will eventually be part of the patcher. Right now it's too early to roll out with the game, having a stand-alone available for download is the safest. I don't want to have to patch the game just because I need to publish a new version of the repair tool. Once the stability gets a bit better, then I'll start bundling it up.

2. Slightly inaccurate wording there. We changed the default install location, but, since anyone can install to any location (within reason), there's nothing tied directly to it. That's not what's causing the problems some users are reporting with earlier installs, that was due to early versions of the installer registering the install location one folder up. Also, we can't update the game without using admin rights due to the way the game patches. If we wanted to get rid of the UAC prompt, each of our patches would be updwards of 1 GB. So Admin-rights is necessary as the lesser of two evils.

But thanks for the suggestions. I felt they warranted a response just so that you don't get the impression that we haven't considered these things already. We have. These and many, many others. ;) If you have anything to add, please feel free. Improvement often comes on the heels of open discussion. That, or war.

#45 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

user.cfg got over write for system.cfg? is that the new place to write mouse sensitive and stuff?

#46 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

View Postkeith, on 26 April 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

user.cfg got over write for system.cfg? is that the new place to write mouse sensitive and stuff?

Not totally sure what your question is here, but I'll just toss out some facts:
-System.cfg should never be modified locally!
-User.cfg is all yours, make the changes you desire. Also, the repair tool completely ignores this file.
-Systemoverride.cfg also should not be modified directly, it is modified by the game.

#47 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostKrist Smith, on 26 April 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Not totally sure what your question is here, but I'll just toss out some facts:
-System.cfg should never be modified locally!
-User.cfg is all yours, make the changes you desire. Also, the repair tool completely ignores this file.
-Systemoverride.cfg also should not be modified directly, it is modified by the game.

okay but the MWO repair took got rid of my user config. now all my mouse setting i had are gone, which is y i am asking. easy fix, just something for the next version to look at.

eaxmple

Mouse sensitivity; Go to ~ C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\User Config, and add the following lines

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0
cl_sensitivity = 0.2

#48 Apolyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location'Merica

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Crash Is all I get upon clicking the "Fix errors" Button.

Hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.Net Runtime Error
Application: MWORepairTool.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
Stack:
at PatchUtil.Downloader.DownloadSingleFile(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at MWORepairTool.RepairToolForm.fixMismatches()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application Error
Faulting application name: MWORepairTool.exe, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x517abc3f
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b83c8a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
Faulting process id: 0x1038
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce42b0f6772f85
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mechwarrior Online\MechWarrior Online\MWORepairTool.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 45b9bfa2-aea4-11e2-a394-002683386064

On a side note. This is a great idea. :ph34r:

#49 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postkeith, on 26 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

okay but the MWO repair took got rid of my user config. now all my mouse setting i had are gone, which is y i am asking. easy fix, just something for the next version to look at.

eaxmple

Mouse sensitivity; Go to ~ C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\User Config, and add the following lines

i_mouse_smooth = 0
i_mouse_accel=0
cl_sensitivity = 0.2

Odd, I've run a couple of tests and it doesn't delete user.cfg on me, even with all the options enabled. Did you have use an older version of the tool maybe?

EDIT: Blerg, I was testing on a VM and forgot to enable file extensions, so my file was named user.cfg.txt. Re-testing now with the file properly named to see if it will works as intended.

EDIT2: Confirmed working as intended (ie. it didn't delete user.cfg on me). I would like to figure out why it deleted it for you, tho.

View PostApolyon, on 26 April 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

On a side note. This is a great idea. :ph34r:

Thanks!

Now I just need to get better error handling set up... ;)

#50 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

would say what version, but not on the tool:P which ever one from about 9pm est last night.

#51 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postkeith, on 26 April 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

would say what version, but not on the tool:P which ever one from about 9pm est last night.

The version number is in the options window (just click the options button). I will take Deathlike's advice and start displaying that in the main form on new versions.

Although, you gave enough info to show that you were probably using v1.0.6.1, since that was the available version last night.

#52 slash b slash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationParts unknown

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I had one Fread error today. Run the repair tool just now. Worked fine for me. It repaired my Objects.pak.

#53 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Noticed another error when selecting the root dir. Testing a fix now, new version of the repair tool should be available momentarily.

UPDATE: Ok, so now, with that fix, old install bases should be repairable. (This time for sure!)

#54 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I ran it, it said "Genertating local hash files"

genertating?

#55 Volt Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostRedshirt2k5, on 26 April 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I ran it, it said "Genertating local hash files"

genertating?

It's generating a potato to attract the bugs, doncha' know? It's how Canadian repair tools work! ;) Just messing with you. Great tool, I got 5 fps more out of it. ^.^

#56 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 25 April 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Pak files get their contents patched and are then re-zipped locally (on your computer). This means that your local copy can be slightly different than someone else's (the difference of maybe just a few bytes or bits). That difference will lead to a completely different hash. Essentially, it has to be this way if we don't want our patches to each be like 500 MB or more.

*cough* binary diffs *cough*

#57 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

My game ran well before but I tried this anyway. It seemed to replace a lot of files, still works though.

#58 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Just want to say "Thanks for this"

Not tried it yet as (fingers crossed) my copy of MWO is working well. But regardless I appreciate you and PGI putting something out like this in an attempt to mitigate the problems others have reported.

Also my personal commendation for replying to this thread as well. The more feed back we get (on ANY subject) the more I believe the player base feels confidant about the game in general.

#59 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

simply awesome, got 25 FPS increase. ty sooo much.

#60 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Not having any issues with the game but might give this a bang (purely out of procrastination for clean the house and washing malamutes)....

If it screws my game up, well i just found a reason to format today and download again today (also out of procrastination)

Edit:

I thought it would have taken longer damn it! Nothing broke or died or exploded. So i guess its working

My end result was this,

No mismatches were found!

FOUND LOCAL FILES FOR REMOVAL!

C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\bin32\game_version.dll

C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\systemoverride.cfg

Done!

Edited by matux, 26 April 2013 - 07:00 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users