314 replies to this topic

#301 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

I am really interested in the outcome here.
What we have is a community that was robbed. That then cried out and IGP responded with a stupid card trick and a few quotes telling us that we are stupid and they don't care.
Then they shut up.
AND IT IS WORKING!
For the most part people really are stupid and gullible.

#302 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostDishevel, on 05 May 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

I am really interested in the outcome here.
What we have is a community that was robbed. That then cried out and IGP responded with a stupid card trick and a few quotes telling us that we are stupid and they don't care.
Then they shut up.
AND IT IS WORKING!
For the most part people really are stupid and gullible.

I think the population is dropping and it 'aint no fault of us that are critical. Hell, most of us that are critical are so because we love the Mechwarrior IP and felt we had a stake and say in where it went. Obviously us Vets who have played every iteration of the Mechwarrior franchise are not really the target audience and I feel titles such as Hawken, are better set to appeal to the 'mass' that PGI are obviously courting.

I am not sure how sustainable MWO is going to be.

#303 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

I've tried to use the new forum structure, and for me the experience has changed from spending most of the time reading threads to spending most of my time in the forum front page changing subforums.

For the May Creative Director Update I was expecting, I checked MWO News first, since I'd expect that to be the hub of MWO related news. No. Instead I have to go to Announcements. New mech announced, no mention of it in the announcement beside it's name (not even that it's a Stalker, I had to go to the front page to see that. I'm already at the forums, I'm not going back to the front page for pretty much any reason.)

This is relevant to my interests, so I have to bounce back and forth between Announcements and Mechs & Loadouts for discussion of the new Mech to follow the speculations. For upcoming weapon changes I need to go see Command chair (because for some reason announcing future weapon changes obviously isn't announcements or news). To discuss those weapon changes I should go to Gameplay forum.

All these should IMO be under 1 forum. It's all news, and discussion about those news. Instead of a logical place where to go for this, we have a complex structure that only seems to excel in keeping these things hidden.

#304 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostKyynele, on 06 May 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

I've tried to use the new forum structure, and for me the experience has changed from spending most of the time reading threads to spending most of my time in the forum front page changing subforums.

For the May Creative Director Update I was expecting, I checked MWO News first, since I'd expect that to be the hub of MWO related news. No. Instead I have to go to Announcements. New mech announced, no mention of it in the announcement beside it's name (not even that it's a Stalker, I had to go to the front page to see that. I'm already at the forums, I'm not going back to the front page for pretty much any reason.)

This is relevant to my interests, so I have to bounce back and forth between Announcements and Mechs & Loadouts for discussion of the new Mech to follow the speculations. For upcoming weapon changes I need to go see Command chair (because for some reason announcing future weapon changes obviously isn't announcements or news). To discuss those weapon changes I should go to Gameplay forum.

All these should IMO be under 1 forum. It's all news, and discussion about those news. Instead of a logical place where to go for this, we have a complex structure that only seems to excel in keeping these things hidden.

Thank you for pointing out what is wrong with not having the "General Discussion" board that most other games seem to be able to do well with.
IGP on the other hand will not listen. They must have the facts. They know it works well everywhere else and that we do not want it.
What must be their truth then is that as far as online communities go we are the worst. We are obviously more self entitled and demanding than anyone else. We are a truly horrible and ungovernable community that needs to be muzzled.
Because IGP is good at building communities, and everyone else can pull it off. Only here and only because of the incredible, horrible little people that make up our community can it not be allowed here.

#305 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostRansack, on 03 May 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...meplay-balance/

That's the "best" place that I have found to get a pulse on the game in this mess of a forum.

Oh boy was I wrong. This forum structure is horrible. Stuff is scattered all over the place, and no way to find it.

#306 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostKaijin, on 30 April 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

I cannot resist pointing this out. After six days, there were 236 votes cast on this referendum.

I recall another referendum made, not by management, but by the forum community. In only four days, at the time of my count, 3,249 had voted against 3rd person view. Now it is not my intention to derail this thread into one about that issue. I don't want it to be derailed.

I dare say though that there might have been a significant voter turnout for this official forum referendum of IGP's, that they're so proud of, had it involved the issues about the MWO forums that the MWO forum community cares about, rather than a cloud of smoke getting blown.

Good point. I agree that it seems disingenuous that they say the poll was based on feedback from the community when so many demanded the GD be returned and that somehow 236 votes are so urgently listened to when other polls that have thousands of votes are called a minority that don't matter. Especially since this is a Beta and they feedback they are supposed to be listening to are those that are playing the game.

#307 Avatara

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

Figure I may as well respond to the form change here. Though I like the Idea of the sub-forums and think you should keep them, Especially for some of the area specific ones. (Weapons,Maps, etc) The game suffers for the lack of a General forum. When the patch did not happen last Tuesday It took me a few days to find a topic about the issue. In part because I had to navigate through the forums until I found a relevant topic (found it in K-town of all places) But mostly because As a casual player I could not be bothered to spend large quantities of time searching through sub-forms when the info should have been put in announcements. Before the change I could go to the GD board scroll down past the topics that lacked relevance to what I was looking for and find a post about the afore mentioned issue.

Also between matches or when taking a break form what ever else I happened to be doing I would Jump on the forum and check to see what topics interested me. If they did I'd read them, even comment every now and again. When I saw a topic that did not interest me I'd ignore it. Sense the removal of GD I don't bother to check on the Forums anywhere near as often as I used to, my interest in general waning. I'd return to my old habits the old(or a new) GD to be brought back.

I've seen it said that the old GD was removed to silence dissent, that the troll/complaint topics were getting to be too numerous and giving a bad impression of the game. Well EVERY game forum has that problem. The bulk of the game playing populous can recognize the whining and troll post for what they are and will balance their opinions of the game with what they read and with what they experiences in the game itself. It's like that in ever other online games forums (seriously checkout Planet sides and WOWs) And they all retain their GD forums.

To be fair to PGI I assume that this was not a attempt to do that and that this was just an unfortunate over site on their part. But If I were new to the PGI's forums and the game in general and I stumbled across a topic that read: PGI Closes GD to censor complaints. And noticed that there is indeed no GD I would hesitate to bother with the game let alone spend any money on it. An example for me would be DayZ. Because of constant pestering of my friends I downloaded and play it occasionally. Because of the developers rather infamous actions and comments They will NEVER see a penny from me. I don't want people to get the same Idea about this game.

#308 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostJackson Jax Teller, on 06 May 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

its working as intended. Im thinking the point was to make it impossible TO get an easy read on the game. So if they do something rage worthy, noobs wont know

as the answer to this question was "suck it up and deal with it", Im waiting for this to get unpinned now

FYI I got told off for paraphrasing the dev response as "suck it up, noobs".

:)

#309 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostJestun, on 07 May 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

FYI I got told off for paraphrasing the dev response as "suck it up, noobs".

:)

How exactly did they say you should have paraphrased it?
We listened and gave you a vote on the stuff you did not care about in the first place. You should now thank us and S.T.F.U

#310 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hey, its only been two days since someone even replied to this thread, wonder when it gets unstickied and closed?

#311 StringyQuark

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

The horse has been beaten to a puddle and reclaimed by the earth. with over 36K posts K-town seems to be the most active place in the forum now, which is sad because it has nothing to do with this game. Looking at the numbers at the bottom of the front forum page looks like it's getting thinner all the time, more guests, less logged in players. which i wouldn't be surprised if that little feature disappears soon. I find myself visiting the forums less and less now, mainly to check this page which is now pretty much a dead issue.

I would like our town square back that was GD. My thinking had been that GD was for the community to talk to each other, even if we not talk pretty most days, every other topic/sub-topic/sub-sub-topic is to make a nice focused post or thread for the dev's, but PGI/IGP have said I am wrong about that, with the removal of GD.

I do like their silent treatment, seems to be more effective then I thought it would be.

Edited by StringyQuark, 10 May 2013 - 03:16 AM.

#312 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostStringyQuark, on 10 May 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

I do like their silent treatment, seems to be more effective then I thought it would be.

Incredibly effective.
Exactly what EA did after screwing their SimCity customers over.
Worked for them. Working here as well.

#313 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

For anyone who is unclear on how traffic to these forums has changed since the removal of general discussion, have a look here: http://www.alexa.com...fo/mwomercs.com

NOTE: Remember to check various timeframes so you can check for any pattern of activity after a patch (a common excuse given, which in no way explains the drop-off since the changes).

Time on site in minutes - lower than it's been since Q2 2012.

Percentage of bounces (single page sessions) - higher than it's been since Q2 2012.

Page views per user - lower than it's been since Q2 2012.

I'm sorry, but when the figures are worse than they've been in for a whole year you cannot use the 2 week patch schedule as an excuse for a lull in forum activity.

#314 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostJestun, on 14 May 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

For anyone who is unclear on how traffic to these forums has changed since the removal of general discussion, have a look here: http://www.alexa.com...fo/mwomercs.com

NOTE: Remember to check various timeframes so you can check for any pattern of activity after a patch (a common excuse given, which in no way explains the drop-off since the changes).

Time on site in minutes - lower than it's been since Q2 2012.

Percentage of bounces (single page sessions) - higher than it's been since Q2 2012.

Page views per user - lower than it's been since Q2 2012.

I'm sorry, but when the figures are worse than they've been in for a whole year you cannot use the 2 week patch schedule as an excuse for a lull in forum activity.

How do they get those numbers? Cause Ive heard they only get info from ppl who install their toolbar, so yeah thats not me...

Plus; this is a dead topic. They threw up the "squirrel!" of UI 2.0 to distract the ADD dogs here.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 14 May 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#315 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 May 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

How do they get those numbers? Cause Ive heard they only get info from ppl who install their toolbar, so yeah thats not me...

Plus; this is a dead topic. They threw up the "squirrel!" of UI 2.0 to distract the ADD dogs here.

I think you're right, given that mwomercs.com is not certified with them.

But unless you can think of another reason why the people using the toolbar stopped accessing this site as much to the degree that the stats reflect at the same time as the forum changes I don't think it makes any difference.

And to be fair, as much as I hate this new forum layout the new UI does look significantly better than the old one to my eyes. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users