• LocationHawaii

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

Meh.

#182 Sundagger

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:58 AM

For all those moaning about an anti-climax, quality of Razor hardware etc. get real... the very fact Artemis is being developed shows long term commitment to MWO!

... and let us be realistic, the price-point will be likely $150-$300 depending on the 'quality'... you get what you pay for afterall, and a dedicated controller is really more about exclusivity than practicality, so resistance to wear-and-tear is a slightly moot point. Personally I think the Artemis is great, but I doubt I will be able to justify buying one.

True this is very much a 'steel batallion controller' (an exceptional piece of kit and now a $500 antique) look-alike, it is just somewhat unfortunate that rather than/in addition to a new 'dedicated' controller, and interface box/adapter could not be released to use the SB masterpiece of old (the re-release of steel batallion even dropped the controller in favour of kinect); although I am sure many of the old flight-sticks and throttle controllers will come into play.

#183 Scar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

I love you, Piranha - but Razer have made just a horrible design.

Shortly:

One stick: this means you will control the legs movement with the twist of stick - which is VERY bad for fast and precise aiming(ask any experienced virtual pilot)
Straight throttle slider: lack of tactile information about the current position and amount of throttle changes
Throttle handle without HOTAS: was it so hard to make all those twelve buttons right on the throttle handle to solidly keep your hand and fingers on handle and buttons?
Inapplicable for lefties: two sticks could solve this problem and separate the aim controls from the movement
Stick is a mindless copy of the combat aircraft's one: come on guys, it's not the warplane, it's a 'Mech - too much hats and lack of the rapid-access buttons for weapon groups.
Useless MFD: you really don't need it at all

Conclusion: Epic Fail of Razer.

P.S. I really-really love BT, MWO and you - Piranha, and i'm not going to play the Hawken, but if i wish to play MWO with the stick(which is not gonna happen as well - because my Razer Hydra a million times better than any stick can be) - i'd prefer the Steel Battalion or Hawken controller instead of Razer Artemis.

Edited by Scar, 08 June 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#184 Sundagger

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

Must be said the planned controller for Hawken has the twin stick design of the Steel Batallion, but will supposedly not be game specific and fully configurable...

http://www.theverge....-to-battle-bots

Edited by Sundagger, 07 June 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#185 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Yep

#186 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

The MFD is the most interesting thing to me in the package. While I wish it was a touch screen to be useful with other apps, if I can put a Battle Grid on it without having to change views, I'm sold!

#187 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Its not too bad, as others have pointed out it seems a little "non-ergonomic" in the height of the joystick and no keyboard to go with it.

I knocked up a couple of quick models to take a look at what I would consider a "Pro" and "Elite" or Simpack versions.

Note that the stick and throttle in these renders aren't that great, I mainly wanted to add more MFD's and keys and didn't want to spend a ton of time on this as I had other work to do.

The keys at the centre infront of the MFDS is supposed to be a fully functional keyboard as well, however I didn't want to model all the keys so only put a few there.

Either way you could fit a keyboard on an underslide or something, not that you would really need it besides chatting.

Also the displays aren't all straight as I'm not terribly good with photoshop and can't figure out how to "warp" the HUD from screenys so they are straight......

Lets see if i can get the images to show properly =\

Not sure how to do thumbnail things like the weekly screenshots so here we go.... :blink:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Fooooo, 07 June 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#188 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hawken has apparently jumped on the bandwagon and has announced some hackneyed attempt to do the same thing:

I call failsauce - they go to a startup Chinese company for peripherals, while PGI rolls with people who know how gaming peripherals should be done. Sure, not all of Razer's stuff is my absolute favorite, but they do make a damned fine product. :blink:

#189 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostDarkTreader, on 07 June 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

I call failsauce - they go to a startup Chinese company for peripherals, while PGI rolls with people who know how gaming peripherals should be done. Sure, not all of Razer's stuff is my absolute favorite, but they do make a damned fine product. :blink:

...And that's the most sad thing - even the young Chinese company have made better design for their stick than Razer.

Razer can make a nice things, but not in the case of Artemis. Hawken controller is designed far better than this.

#190 Kirchoff

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

and why wouldnt you want this?! guess no one bought steel battalion

#191 DarkTreader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

One thing I wish would come out would be some sort of anchoring rig for all of the various Razer products, something that can lock around my Nostromo so I can attach it at a fixed distance from my flight stick, a center panel clip in to put, say, the tablet screen shown here, or a keyboard mount, or something...

#192 Boblock

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

I dont get Razer flack, I currently use 2 of their products (my mouse now for a year of HARD gaming) and never had a problem. I even keyboard slam quite frequently as i rage quit* . I have a logitech joystick though and im sure I can still *** kick with no extra gizmo (read - im poor).

*that was humour, please dont flame me

ps wheres my beta invite man, now you got me writing posts! i never write damn posts, just send me my beta key,
chop chop old Pip!

Edited by Boblock, 07 June 2012 - 08:03 AM.

#193 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Short article over on IGN:
http://ca.ign.com/ar...cept-controller

#194 Strisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

I won't be buying anything like this anyway, I've tried to play with joysticks, but I've always been better with mouse/keyboard

*edit* I do have a razor diamondback that I bought off woot a few years back and it still works great, I'm sure the people complaining about razor products have had valid issues, no company is perfect, but it hasn't been my experience that razor is a bad company to purchase from.

Edited by Strisk, 07 June 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#195 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Meh, throttle portion is garbage and unless all of it can be detached into three independent parts the placement is going to be really uncomfortable.

Would much rather pick up a Saitek than this tbh.

#196 Choice

• PipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSAC Headquarters MidWest for Mech's

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm a lefty so im out :P

#197 ThePayne

Dezgra

• 5 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Posted Image

#198 Spymonkey

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Razer makes low quality stuff and charges a lot for it. I for one will not get this...thing.

#199 Dirheim

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCastellon, Spain

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

Depending on the price, could be a sure buy.

#200 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hello to all MR Negativities ..... Stop whining it looks amazing.
Good job PGI good job
Maybe a matt finished Black widow stealth with MWO theme would be great too cause I love playing with keyboard

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users