Annoucing the Razer Artemis!

345 replies to this topic

#221 Itrosnoc

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

i initially rejected this most because of the layout... however i think i may have been in error. the combination of joystick and keypad would be ideal for mechwarrior, the hotas or partial hotas setup is cool but clumsy by comparison. the key pad allows for superior throttle response without the bulkiness of a full keyboard. weather or not the quality of materials, accuracy and the ability to hold center accurately and reliably remains to be seen. i look forward to more information and a review. not to mention a reasonable price point.

good times

#222 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Annoucing?

Pat, I'd like to buy an 'N'.

What? I can't buy consonants? Just vowels? What kinda garbage is this?!?

#223 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

I will buy one:

- If it's possible to get the three parts apart (I mean, if it's not a solid pack you can't arrange as you wish).
¿Why? I've been making a playseat, its been a hard job, i've had a dozen of joysticks and i don't want to rearrange the whole layout because of this. I like it, but not that much.

- If the screen works with a standard set of orders i can use to translate to other games (EG the display of the logitech devices).
¿Why? Well, it's always useful to have a display on the playseat, but if i can't use it with anything except mechwarrior, it is a little bit expensive.

- If the handle has a (lockable or not) twist control.
¿Why? as i said, I've had a lot of joysticks, and i'm not going to use it only for this. I play flight simulators, and you need a rudder control. Having a twist handle you'll manage to get into that market because, in the end, It's just a HOTAS with a useful screen.

-The quality/price is good, or at least average.
¿Why? There are a lot of HOTAS controllers out there. Some are cheap ****, some are cheap but average, some are expensive ****, some are expensive but average, some are expensive and good, and then there's the G940. If the price of the device (And remember we're talking about a RAZER device) is not too high, i will buy it, because we all know the Razer policies about quality... I mean nobody's going to buy a 300$ controller if the buttons start to fail the second week of intensive use and the force feedback flies out the third month.

I like the controller idea, i really like it, but there are some "If"s for me.

#224 JabberJon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 147 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostZezel, on 10 June 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I agree, this is Beta test right? Wonder how many players are running ATI Crossfire setup?

My bet is on very few, but we wouldn't want "that person" in on the Beta test.

Like I said is this Beta testing or let's have our buddies play for free?

Read my CPU-Z

I'm not sure if you're looked around the boards, but most of us have really nice rigs. Having a nice rig doesn't entitle you to a key, they need people with all types of rigs to test the game, especially on the lower end. When you build a game, especially a F2P game, it needs to cater to the masses first and offer top end stuff second. I bet they would rather have 100 people in that just meet the minimum requirement than have 50 people who have insane rigs. What do you think they build the game on? They have quite a bit of data on its potential, they need to know what is going to slow down the game and cause problems for users.

On the topic at hand, I love the way the Artemis looks, but the real test is how it feels. I couldn't care less what the features are if it's uncomfortable or clunky to use.

#225 Slender Man

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

The Hawken joysticks seem better so far.

Why doesn't the Artemis come up with a more unique design? I think they are definitely open for suggestions, I noticed them mentioning that in one of the E3 videos.

Here just an idea make a joystick that has a trackball where the thumb would sit comfortably, kind of like this mouse "logitech wireless-trackball-m570:. This would be used to move the reticle around the screen like you can in MW3, then the whole joystick moves the upper torso.

I don't care if there is a left joystick or not because I'll just buy a ambidextrous joystick. However I really wish the LCD screen was optional because its pretty useless and its going to drive up the price.

Anyone else have design ideas?

#226 Sivad

Rookie

• Overlord
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I've been very pleased with the two Razer Naga mice that I own. This looks promising, but my main concern would be the desktop footprint. IF all I ever did on my computer was play MWO (wishful thinking), then it would be a non issue, but moving it around constantly to access the traditional keyboard could be a bit of an issue.

#227 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

So... Where do I put my money? And is it a VGA screen?

No seriously. I. Want. To. Buy. THIS. NOW. :)

I seriously mean it.

#228 Robby Vitriolic

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCate's Hold, Magistracy of Canopis

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Haven't seen a dedicated thread for Artemis suggestions, but here is what I recommend:

Take the keypad and give it a more "mouselike" form factor, like the old MS Sidewinder. Let it twist, for instance to control the torso.

For the screen, a touchscreen would be uber, although probably cost prohibitive. Alternately, let us customize the display so that information can 'ghost' over it. For example, I would like to be able to have it display the radar, and when I take fire a translucent damage indicator screen could layer over it for a few seconds, then fade.

Another idea would to have this thing be modular. That way you could have different options for the left and right controller, or even add a second dedicated display. Plus that way if I spill beer on it I'll only need to replace the component I damaged, not the whole rig.

Just my two filthy lucre.

#229 Wizzbang

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

@Thorn. I buy Razer products for all the PC's I build people and never had a problem. I have mice that are over 8 years old and still working. They are a dream to use, except that "mirror edition" KB they made...

#230 Krubarax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 329 posts
  • LocationGBG, Sweden

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Artemis meh...

#231 KwwB

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMeridian, ID

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Considering they charge upwards of $170 for keyboards I assume this "controller" will be $250+

#232 R4G3D N1NJ4S

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

I might buy this if I need to get a joystick, Razer <3 MY entire setup is made of Razer at the moment :(

#233 Chaos Revolution byme

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

i like the screen in the middle ^^, and i like razer, but it's so expensif... i have a some things of razer, a maose and a keyboard, but it is worth it?

ps: i just gonna wait for previews on youtube of the razer artemis, and see XD :)

#234 syngyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostGB Krubarax, on 15 June 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Artemis meh...

While I'm not a fan of the Artemis, the Steel Battlion controller was kind of terrible in terms of the control scheme. Whoever designed the communications system was either a ****** or clueless.

#235 OfTheDark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts
  • LocationOh...you know...

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Is there a price yet? If it is less than $100 (doubtful) I might be interested. More than that and I probably just cannot afford it (founder's pack comes first ;) )

#236 Langstes

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Can't wait for it

#237 Kolhammer

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

i hope its out around the same time as MW:O

#238 NoSkillRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostKolhammer, on 24 June 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

i hope its out around the same time as MW:O

I doubt it.

#239 PianoMan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

They take preorders? :rolleyes:

I want one. Sold my MS Sidewinder a LOONNGG time ago after I finished MW4. Haven't had a joystick since. This would be a great way to ring it back in beside my PC.

#240 Vyktamus

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

This is going to be amazing. I own eight Razer producst at the moment and truly love their products. Never had a problem other than a deformed hand rest (gel pad) on my Vespula. Their customer service was great and sent me one (two day shipping). I think the setup is great. Who needs a keyboard if all the keys are on the left hand side of the peripheral? Are you going to stop moving in the middle of a fight to type a long message? I think all the nitpicking people need to pipe down and see it as a finished product, or wait until the professional reviews start to emerge. I think everyone should be happy that MW is getting these kinds of partnerships at launch.

I'll be preordering this as soon as possible.

38 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users