Annoucing the Razer Artemis!

345 replies to this topic

#241 Blood Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

I'm pretty excited about that force feedback. Really feeling my mech move is going to be pretty intense.

#242 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

I'm still hoping for more details on the screen!

Is it touch capable? What kind of displays can it bring up? Can it view the command battle grid at all times, or offer an alternate zoomed out view of the map?

The screen is the #1 thing it has over the Mek Fu (though the Mek Fu supports an Android device as a screen, if MWO supports other alternate screens..), with the #2 thing being my desire to support the MechWarrior brand. If I bought a Mek Fu I'd use it for MWO and probably Planetside 2 and I doubt I'd ever load Hawken for more than a few minutes, if at all.

So yeah. Hoping for details. I'm hoping it's got basic touch capabilities (nothing too fancy) and works with the command abilities, because that'd be a deal-maker right then-and-there.

#243 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

I think this is the first time Razer's ever done anything related to a Free to Play platform. Seems the guys there believe this will be a market hit... otherwise all the finances they throw into prototyping the thing will go to waste.

Not that we don't already believe it'd be a success, mind...

#244 Razor 1

• PipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 32 posts
  • LocationA Planet Near You !

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

When does this become available and cost ?

#245 StaticPappy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCentral USA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Looks kool for sure. Currently typing on one i hate an cant wait for it to go snap.
Not impressed as under massive use backlit keys became blue circles in about 30 days. Sensitivity seems too vary based on "it's mood" lol.
Hope those that like the products are pleased when they get this one out on the battlegrounds.
Good for the game an should sell a ton if the price is not 300+ I'd imagine.

Also hoping that my Logitech and Microsoft gadgets are fully supported at some point if not already.

edit.. forgot to say in spite of going south on me cosmetically in a disappointing amount of time... it just wont die.
I hate to toss stuff before it breaks. that said i may have too on this one .. i have been very mean to this thing and i mean very mean in an effort to justify a new one an no luck so far.

Can't type typo free very well but otherwise a tough nut to crack.

Edited by StaticPappy, 05 July 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#246 Wildcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostJade Dragoon, on 05 June 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

and on their facebook page.

They were trying to make internet Social life better all round with MWO, but I dont know if its something everyone is into, im sure not with all the Spyware crap Facebook and other places have attached.....

#247 Cur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostHayashi, on 05 July 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

I think this is the first time Razer's ever done anything related to a Free to Play platform. Seems the guys there believe this will be a market hit... otherwise all the finances they throw into prototyping the thing will go to waste.

Not that we don't already believe it'd be a success, mind...

Something about this game being wanted so much for the past 10 years that theres been alot of work done by people, for free i might add, to help try and revive the franchise (Mektek, MWLL, etc) That it was painfully obvious this game is "franchise" is much loved and wanted. That coupled with Micro$h!t sitting on the copyrights picking its nose like a derranged yet very angry bulldog.

I am worried about the artemis tho for a few reasons:

1) the design of the stick itself looks obstructive, and difficult. The little button, below and to the left of the main "Square of buttons" looks linda useless. you'd have to move your hand in funky ways to touch it while playing, making its use a bit "iffy"

2) the top square of buttons looks too "big", again the button on the left side seems hard to reach. And the gap between the top, where the top connects to the main stick certainly looks uncomfy to wrap your hands around beacuse of the uneven surface. Like you'd grip around it, then towards the back your hand has alot of room to "fall in".

3) The gamepad element looks "meh" It's a nostromo with a throttle slider attached.

4) Having the radar screen on the stick itself will just be useless. Think about where your keyboard normaly sits in comparison to the screen. How often do you look down to see the key's your pressing as you type? When you do this, your taking your main focus away from the game itself, a few seconds means life and death if its turning around a corner and not seeing the angry atlas infront of you, and being able to react before he ppc's in your eye. Besides, from what the screenshots show, the radar is built into the hud. Whats the use of two?

the screen element kind of guarentees the stick itself will be very expensive. Combined with these other "cons" it just seems more logical, and cost effective to use a different joystick and keyboard, or joystick and nostromo should you need the free space on your desk.

It's a pitty, its great to see the interest from Razer on this, but the seemingly poor design choices, and comparing it agains the Hawken Joystick, just makes it seem like a totaly inferior product.

#248 PowaBread

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOld Bridge, New Jersey

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is really cool. This would totally change your gaming experience

#249 NeoTheOne

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLidingö, Sweden

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Looks pretty awesome.

#250 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 05 July 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

and I doubt I'd ever load Hawken for more than a few minutes, if at all.

Oh, I don't know about that. While MWO will certainly be my home, Hawken looks like it has a whole lot of fun potential as a mini-Mech game. (Seems like some serious Urban combat there.)

Of course if the reviews blast it to kingdom come, then we'll all avoid it with our 10' poles.

That goes double for both controllers. Razor has more experience, but the start-up actually had Tank drivers/commanders help with the design. Who will win? Probably which ever company that doesn't cheap out on it's manufacturing...who am I kinding, they're probably both going to be made in China.

Edited by Monsoon, 06 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#251 Mr Whiskers

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBremerton Wa

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

mine?

#252 kamikaziechameleon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

Assuming this game is everything I want it to be I'm buying one of these!

#253 Garthak

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

imma buy both, eventually, and then decide which is closest to my steel battalion one. Mek-fu would probably be the clear winner if it had a throttle, but I doubt that's happening. Just stick another joystick on the razor one, and I'll be happy.

#254 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'll just wait for the reviews.

#255 Diobovinius

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

As many others have said. Shut up and take my money.

Now, someone just needs to hack the kinect so that we can change viewing direction on the windscreen by turning our heads (but not the mech) and then implement some voice control.

#256 FerSniper

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Can't wait to put my hands on it.

#257 Ic3Dog

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:50 AM

...it looks sure cool. But i think some design Failure could ruin it.

#258 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

What happened to this?

http://www.razorzone.com/artemis brings up:
HTTP Status 404 -

[color="#ffffff"]type[/color] Status report
[color="#ffffff"]message[/color]
[color="#ffffff"]description[/color] The requested resource () is not available.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.25

#259 Arkmaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 05 June 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Sorry but the Artemis was doomed to be a failure the moment you selected Razer to be the manufacturer.
Their cords are low quality so they go kaputt for no real reason. Their trackrecord on quality, service and sincerity towards their customers is downright abyssmal.

So true.

I bought one of their $80 (or thereabouts) gaming mice and it lasted about 6 months and then just started making mouse button 1 presses on it's own. Took it apart, cleaned it, still didn't work.

Got an HP mouse for $9 and has been working the past 3 years without issue and was used for 2 years earlier by somebody else.

#260 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

View Postmachine, on 17 October 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

What happened to this?

http://www.razorzone.com/artemis brings up:
HTTP Status 404 -

[color=#FFFFFF]type[/color] Status report
[color=#FFFFFF]message[/color]
[color=#FFFFFF]description[/color] The requested resource () is not available.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.25

It probably died the death it's design deserved.

Next time, maybe they'll ask someone who's used joysticks to design one, and that includes a useful left handed device as well. And also stick the useless screen where it belongs.

39 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users