If A Player Has A Ping Above 100, They Are Not Allowed To Drive A Light Mech.

82 replies to this topic

#1 SRM Rondeau

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

If a player has a ping above 100, they are not allowed to drive a light mech. Period. High ping? too bad buddy - you are ruining the game! (And you are not as good as you think you are.) Some people even manipulate packet loss to artificially create this situation. The new Rewind state might be nice, but I get high ping light mechs with poor connections hopping and popping and rubber banding around so they cant be hit accurately. They know it and they use it. I have been swarmed by groups that look more like they are attacking me under a stroboscopic disco light.

#2 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

Had you considered that many of these people might just be living further from the server? I see no need to penalize Australians for their location on the globe.

#3 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

No.

#4 SRM Rondeau

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

It does not matter why the connection is bad. So Yes, they should be penalized. The world is not fair.

#5 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

L2Aim?

In MechWarrior 3 we dealt with players running 216kph using AOL and 700ms+ pings and no state rewind. In fact the concept of broadband internet for gaming wasn't even in effect. The majority ran with 33k or 56k dialup. I think you can deal with the pings you see here.

#6 SRM Rondeau

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostTaemien, on 27 April 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

L2Aim?

In MechWarrior 3 we dealt with players running 216kph using AOL and 700ms+ pings and no state rewind. In fact the concept of broadband internet for gaming wasn't even in effect. The majority ran with 33k or 56k dialup. I think you can deal with the pings you see here.

Yes, I was playing then too. What's your point? Just because it was bad back then means we should accept it as bad now? Good Pings back then were in the 200's, now 50 is common - lets take advantage of the improvements.

#7 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Weird, I average around a 150 ping and run just fine.

How about you take your arbitrary number you've pulled out of your butt and...

meh, I've already lost interest.

#8 SRM Rondeau

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 27 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Weird, I average around a 150 ping and run just fine.

How about you take your arbitrary number you've pulled out of your butt and...

meh, I've already lost interest.

Why do people take their pings so personally. If your computer is slow, then it is slow. If your ping is high, then it is high. Don't get all defensive, I have not insulted you personally. Just pointing out high pings in light mechs are bad for this game.

#9 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm not being defensive, I'm just stating things as I see them.

Explain how a 100 ping is the cut off, any different than a 90 ping or a 110 ping, and please use data to support your argument.

Edited by Roadbeer, 27 April 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#10 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

If a player has a ping above 100, they are not allowed to drive a light mech. Period. High ping? too bad buddy - you are ruining the game! (And you are not as good as you think you are.) Some people even manipulate packet loss to artificially create this situation. The new Rewind state might be nice, but I get high ping light mechs with poor connections hopping and popping and rubber banding around so they cant be hit accurately. They know it and they use it. I have been swarmed by groups that look more like they are attacking me under a stroboscopic disco light.

Let's talk "fair".

Anyone with a ping of under 100ms has artificial lag added to their client.

:D

Edited by Jestun, 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#11 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

100 ping would exclude pretty much all of Europe!

I am in the uK with a pretty good connection and I run at about 120.

Basically what you want is a North American server, and that is in the pipe right now.

However, be careful what you wish for when the player base is cut in half or possible in to thirds.

I follow the dev posts pretty closely and I get the feeling that regional servers are going on the back burner for a bit.

If I had to give an (uneducated) guess; PGI will wait for full release, have a big marketing push for new players and then look at regional servers.

Even then, the forum has overwhelmingly voted no to regional servers if it means accounts being perma locked to regions.

My gut instinct is you will be meeting high ping players for at least 8 months. So good luck :D

Edited by Jabilo, 27 April 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#12 SRM Rondeau

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

OK, make it 151 ping so Roadbeer will be happy. The Devs can find a cutoff for themselves - it is the idea here that is important - That not all people should be able to drive all mechs depending on their connection.

#13 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

it is the idea here that is important

I believe it is the idea that people disagree with...

#14 VonRunnegen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Erm, I seldom see anyone with pings under 100 and never see this issue. There was a day when my own connection played up and then people started jumping around. Ages back (many patches) this happened but not now in the slightest. So I think its the OP that has an issue, with his own setup.

#15 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 27 April 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

I'm not being defensive, I'm just stating things as I see them.

Explain how a 100 ping is the cut off, any different than a 90 ping or a 110 ping, and please use data to support your argument.

well 90 ping is 0.01 seconds quicker response time and 110 is 0.01 seconds slower response time. 0.10 seconds is a nice round number when you are using a base ten number system.

#16 VikingFarmer

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

well i guess i can't drive a light anymore, seeing how even though i'm only like 5 hours from pgi hq, i live in a rural farming community and even with dsl have a steady 125 ping

#17 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

OK, make it 151 ping so Roadbeer will be happy. The Devs can find a cutoff for themselves - it is the idea here that is important - That not all people should be able to drive all mechs depending on their connection.

[Redacted picture]

Edited by Dakkath, 27 April 2013 - 01:17 PM.
CoC

#18 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostVonRunnegen, on 27 April 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Erm, I seldom see anyone with pings under 100 and never see this issue. There was a day when my own connection played up and then people started jumping around. Ages back (many patches) this happened but not now in the slightest. So I think its the OP that has an issue, with his own setup.

That's what I'm saying, I have a high ping, and I'm running fine. I don't see rubber-banding unless *I* have a spike, not the other way around.

The way I understand it, it's Server Authoritative and my understanding of what that means is that the server is always right, it's the client that's wrong. So it's not the other players with the problem, it's you.

Edit: I may be wrong about that, so let me know if I am.

Edited by Roadbeer, 27 April 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#19 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

No.

#20 SRM Rondeau

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I don't mind high ping players, just high ping players in light mechs. A spider running 150+ with a bad connection will teleport (hop/pop/rubberband) several mechlengths at a time. A heavy with the same poor connection running 65 will teleport about 1/4 of a mechlength. You will still hit the heavy, but you might not even hit the light. I would still like to play with the Europeans. I may even like to hop into a European regional server, but I would not expect to be able to pilot a light mech over there if I did that.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users