If A Player Has A Ping Above 100, They Are Not Allowed To Drive A Light Mech.

82 replies to this topic

#21 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostOzora Wolfsaber, on 27 April 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

well i guess i can't drive a light anymore, seeing how even though i'm only like 5 hours from pgi hq, i live in a rural farming community and even with dsl have a steady 125 ping

EXACTLY!! why haven't you set up your computer in their basement like all of the REAL players.

#22 pencilboom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

people whining about weapon balance is something but this..
what 'da
f
u
c
k?

#23 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postpencilboom, on 27 April 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

people whining about weapon balance is something but this..

People giving feedback on balance part of something called "beta testing".

It's what some people do during a beta test. :D

#24 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I don't mind high ping players, just high ping players in light mechs. A spider running 150+ with a bad connection will teleport (hop/pop/rubberband) several mechlengths at a time. A heavy with the same poor connection running 65 will teleport about 1/4 of a mechlength. You will still hit the heavy, but you might not even hit the light. I would still like to play with the Europeans. I may even like to hop into a European regional server, but I would not expect to be able to pilot a light mech over there if I did that.

Maybe its you who has bad packet loss? High-Ping/latency is not = rubberbanding. I see people with ~20 pings rubberband like mad sometimes and people with ~200 move smooth as silk.

#25 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I don't mind high ping players, just high ping players in light mechs. A spider running 150+ with a bad connection will teleport (hop/pop/rubberband) several mechlengths at a time. A heavy with the same poor connection running 65 will teleport about 1/4 of a mechlength. You will still hit the heavy, but you might not even hit the light. I would still like to play with the Europeans. I may even like to hop into a European regional server, but I would not expect to be able to pilot a light mech over there if I did that.

A sincere **** you from every player outside America. Forum needs an IQ lower limit, seriously.

Oh and until you get to like 250 ping there won't be much skipping or anything. Except for the times when the game screws up and does it, but that has nothing to do with ping. One of the guys i usually play with will sometimes skip with steady 40 ping heh.

Edited by Waking One, 27 April 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#26 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Having a high ping really only hurts the player themselves.

wat?

#27 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I had suggested something along the line of a Ping-Dependent, scaled Speed Cap that was FAR less stringent and restrictive as that presented by the OP, and it was both embraced and rejected by the Community.

I had suggested this (a while ago...):
Posted Image

This, I thought was reasonable at the time... but others found it to be unacceptable.

This was back before Host State Rewind and the netcode improvements, back when Lights tended to teleport in 50m increments instead of walking in continuous paths.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 April 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#28 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

My ping will never reach <200ms, and I prefer to play lights... Wanna kick me from game? I have no issues when fighting with 300ms-ping lights - what am I doing wrong?

Prosperity Park, you're rignt, this is:

Edited by XSerjo, 27 April 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#29 Stargoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

It does not matter why the connection is bad. So Yes, they should be penalized. The world is not fair.

You're right, the world isn't fair, maybe YOU should adapt. Hitting lights has never been easier since state rewind came in.

#30 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have a 30 megabit high-speed Cable connection, but because I live on the West Coast in Oregon my ping hovers between 100-130... so... yeah.

I think the game has improved [since when I made that suggestion] to the point where people with "Pings above 100" should indeed have access to Light Mechs. Maybe once you get into the 250ms-range, then you can talk about something... but Host State Rewind is helping with that stuff.

#31 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I think the game has improved [since when I made that suggestion] to the point where people with "Pings above 100" should indeed have access to Light Mechs. Maybe once you get into the 250ms-range, then you can talk about something... but Host State Rewind is helping with that stuff.

Indeed, HSR is the real solution here and missile HSR can't come soon enough. It's also seems much more fair than penalizing specific people for their pings, which are sometimes out of their control.

#32 Stargoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

From what I understand, a high ping hurts you more than the other player, anyway (aside from teleportitis, but that has more to do with packet loss, right?). At least, it did before state rewind was introduced.

#33 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

It does not matter why the connection is bad. So Yes, they should be penalized. The world is not fair.

Correct, it is not.

Sucks for you huh?

#34 Nasinil

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Most stupid idea ever. OP comes with everyone above 100ms ping will get penalized? hey thats alot of the community get some serious numbers. There is absolutely no problem with players at a range up to 200ms. I have a great system running here dont ask what the heck im working with it but i laugh at all system requirements (yes even Crysis3 been there done that) and my Connection is great. Unfortunately the servers are located at the wrong place in the world.

#35 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Yes, I was playing then too. What's your point? Just because it was bad back then means we should accept it as bad now? Good Pings back then were in the 200's, now 50 is common - lets take advantage of the improvements.

If you're complaining about it, you're having trouble hitting them. If you have trouble hitting them, then you aren't a good player (evidenced by you're the only one with issues with this). If you aren't a good player, then you simply need to get better. That is the point. Get better.

Fix YOUR problem without affecting the fun of others. Its YOUR responsibility. Those that don't take personal responsibility for getting better are POS players. Any decent player would adjust, adapt, and overcome the limitations of the internet. Otherwise stick to the living room with 3 other players on your N64.

#36 Marcus Cvellus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostSRM Rondeau, on 27 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

If a player has a ping above 100, they are not allowed to drive a light mech. Period. High ping? too bad buddy - you are ruining the game! (And you are not as good as you think you are.) Some people even manipulate packet loss to artificially create this situation. The new Rewind state might be nice, but I get high ping light mechs with poor connections hopping and popping and rubber banding around so they cant be hit accurately. They know it and they use it. I have been swarmed by groups that look more like they are attacking me under a stroboscopic disco light.

What you didnt get is that high ping guys are penalized because of state of rewind.
All damage is applied to them, but their weapons do less damage if they cant lead their shots right which is impossible when your ping is variable.

Please stop posting before getting all the facts right and dont alow your rage over not getting a 100% free kill but 99% one blind you.

if you cant kill light mech with current state of game, with or without lag, you really have to check your build or your aiming.

#37 TungstenWall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sorry but the lowest ping I can get here in AZ is 132.

Now excuse me while I Lagshield my TDK with me EPIC ping of 140!
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=tgsD48sdnpI
Yup totally abusing warping.

#38 Agmar Strick

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

You know, I just might try a light mech.

#39 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Players will ping of 34 or 181 should be executed.

Agree/disagree?

#40 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

HSR is in for ballistics and lasers.
If you can't hit light mechs, it's now officially your own fault.*

*unless they're rubber-banding, but I almost never see that happen, even playing late night Pacific time with 200+ ping players

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users