If A Player Has A Ping Above 100, They Are Not Allowed To Drive A Light Mech.

82 replies to this topic

#41 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 27 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Players will ping of 34 or 181 should be executed.

Agree/disagree?

Also those with ping 451 :P

#42 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 27 April 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

I have a 30 megabit high-speed Cable connection, but because I live on the West Coast in Oregon my ping hovers between 100-130... so... yeah.

I think the game has improved [since when I made that suggestion] to the point where people with "Pings above 100" should indeed have access to Light Mechs. Maybe once you get into the 250ms-range, then you can talk about something... but Host State Rewind is helping with that stuff.

I have a 60mb connection and I live relatively near Toronto, my ping is bad at 47, its usually right around 30ms, and I haven't noticed it being any harder to hit lights, no matter what their ping is now.

#43 MERC Mournblade

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

Hello Highlander mechpilots. On behalf of Australia I'll let you know that we'll consider your..... proposal.

Know that you have been placed in a list, and we'll get back to you shortly. Until then, please enjoy our contribution to the metagame. We'll cap your base and lower your elo as a complimentary service. We value your non-bigot, non-biased attitude towards international players on MWO, so for the betterment of this great game we want to cultivate a closer relationship with you, over and over again.

Australia looks forwards to seeing you in a game again soon.

Pleasant regards,
Australia

#44 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

I'm in the middle east and I can't get a ping below 200, even though I'm using the best local ISP at their fastest plan.

Since HSR I haven't seen any warping or hit detection problems on lasers or ballistic weapons. (I'm not sure about missiles because I'm using Streaks at the moment and you'd think by their nature they'd hit. Also, CheeseCats seem to annihilate me just fine.)

One weekend for some reason the ping spiked up as high as 400. At that point I saw and experienced rubber-banding (and stopped playing).

So I don't think Americans have an unfair disadvantage playing against me with my 200 ping. If anything they will have an advantage because of all the real world weapon use and avoidance experience they'll continue to get courtesy of the US Senate :P

Edited by Appogee, 28 April 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#45 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 27 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Players will ping of 34 or 181 should be executed.

Agree/disagree?

Just route them over North Korea ....

#46 Calon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

If I call the OP names will it get the thread locked or removed so no one else has to waste their time on it?

#47 strygalldwir

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Someone (generally located on the Nth American continent) puts up a similar ill considered suggestion every few months. You can just hope they learn to overcome their own inadequacies.

Edited by strygalldwir, 29 April 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#48 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

rofl!

#49 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

i still think that the ping isnt a problem its the DMZ ANTIVIR FIREWALL and FPS of that player

edit forgot P2P and other crap running in the background like a Stream or Streaming themselves

Edited by Inkarnus, 28 April 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#50 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:56 AM

I run at 110 ping in my raven, and not only do players have no problems shooting me, but i have no issues with my piloting either other than occasional rubber banding recently which was fixed.

#51 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Ok, but only if you force everbody with a ping of 100 or less to pilot lights, only lights, and nothing but lights, so as to preserve ingame diversity and tactics.

Yeah, I didn`t think so, nice try, though.

#52 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostFrostCollar, on 27 April 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Had you considered that many of these people might just be living further from the server? I see no need to penalize Australians for their location on the globe.

It would be fair, since the Lord has penalized the ops intelligence based on his position on the globe.
Gini coefficient gives a great hint, I might be correct with this theory.

#53 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

#54 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Posted Image

#55 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well........... Urm no.

Before I type anymore I'll ask WHY?

#56 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostJestun, on 27 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Let's talk "fair".

Anyone with a ping of under 100ms has artificial lag added to their client.

:)

Artificial lag, ohh hell no. The lack of server admins sticking to max pings for quality play have resulted in games coming up with crap that ruins pc games. a/l, client side hit detection and such have just made games worse.

#57 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Create a laser web at their legs level work very well :)

#58 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

You do realise maniplating packet loss add as much of the problem to the attacker as it does the defender? Put whatever figure you want on it, i bet you'll lose more of your opponents than you realise

#@250pinganditsouttamycontrol

#59 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

@OP

That would sound great, however I have low ping I think (consistently 50 or less) and current hit detection is crap against even Assaults. If said target is high ping (250+) I'm screwed just because I can't hit them.

PGI needs to fix that, or give me an invisibility/invulnerability shield too. Its no fair I'm a sitting duc for running something good.

#60 James Warren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

I have a stable ping of 270-280. People have no trouble hitting me in a light, I can tell you that. :)

I have seen plenty of people struggling to kill that last Spider at practically point blank range, even though all players involved had pings in the double digits.

The issue with hits not registering properly is more complicated than simple latency, otherwise it would have been fixed long ago.

PGI concedes that HSR/hit detection isn't working properly at the moment and its something they are undoubtedly working on fixing.

With 270 ping I can hardly hit a light mech with lasers, even if they are running in a straight line away from or towards me. I can hold a laser beam well ahead of a moving target, which runs through it to no effect. I lose duels with Jenners in my Flame just because hits don't register properly which is thoroughly embarrassing. I haven't been able to play my Cicada 3M since phase 3 of HSR was implemented because something they changed broke laser hit registration for me. Penalising me further just because you've had the same (or better) experience as the rest of us is not doing anyone any favors.

Edited by James Warren, 07 August 2013 - 06:34 PM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users