Petition For Stock Mech Game Option

318 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want a stock Mech game option? (576 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a stock Mech game option?

1. Yes! (99 votes [17.19%])

Percentage of vote: 17.19%

2. HELL Yes! (477 votes [82.81%])

Percentage of vote: 82.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 08 July 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

I forgot to say that every Hunchback variant is useful and awesome :P.

That's more like it! :P

#302 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Bumping this since Stock Mode is the best. And would be a healthy addition to the game, giving it new life.

#303 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

How are heavily ammo-based mechs performing in stock matches, assuming anyone uses them? I don't see mechs like the JM6-S (3tons of AC ammo) or the CPLT-C1 (2tons of LRM ammo) being popular or doing well. I hope i'm wrong...

#304 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

It depends. A lot of the stock 'mechs have pretty light ammo loads, exacerbated by the tweaks PGI has made to 'mech armor. (A single ton of AC/5 is OK in TT, but it's a bit light for MWO). You can still be effective but you need to watch your shots far more than in normal matches.

At least, that's been my experience.

#305 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

I would like to see them use the current engine and mechs for a single player with co-op and multiplayer abilities with every mech ever created.

#306 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

View PostWolfways, on 12 July 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

How are heavily ammo-based mechs performing in stock matches, assuming anyone uses them? I don't see mechs like the JM6-S (3tons of AC ammo) or the CPLT-C1 (2tons of LRM ammo) being popular or doing well. I hope i'm wrong...

Well, though it isn't strictly limited to ammo based weapons, I know my 4J has been working very well for me in my matches. It comes with two LRM10 launchers, and 2 tons of ammo. I have to carefully watch my shots to make sure as many missiles hit their target. (Thankfully, I do also have 5 medium lasers and 1 small laser to fall back on.)

A lot of stock matches are far more skill based, and it teaches you a lot of conservation and heat management. We've had matches come down to "who can hit better with their last small laser", as that was all each side had left. A single mech with a small laser each. (Typically two hunchbacks with only a CT left.) It's been a lot of fun!

You should come join us! We run a stock only event every Monday...

#307 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 July 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

I'd love to, but life is a bit hectic atm. Maybe soon...ish ;)

#308 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

bump time!

Stock mode is best mode.

#309 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

So... Any dev comment about it?

#310 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

I support a "stock" only queue but only if your mech is already in stock config. I don't see this taking anything away from people that want to play custom.

#311 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

MWO's main problem here is that it's trying to emulate MW4 multiplayer, I think that this is its biggest downfall.

Everybody essentially just builds the same mech in the end. Stock mode would have players play the mechs as they have always been intendend. Far more types of mechs would see action this way:

- The K2 for instance. wouldn't be a gausscat, instead it would be the PPC direct-fire long range support. This would be a cheap alternative if repair and rearm would ever return.
- The Trebuchet would make a viable return as a LRM support mech.
- The Orion would quickly become the pocket assault.
- The Dragon and Centurion would fill their role as footsoldier designs (though a Grand Dragon would perform far better in 3050).
- The Raven 3L would be THE electronic warfare mech.

Though I think that the Clan omni's should receive a dropdown menu for the 3050 configs that should be available to them.

Edited by Stormwolf, 24 September 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#312 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

Still waiting to play 12v12 or 8v8 matches in stock only games while earning C-Bills with classic Battle Tech loadouts.

3025 Stock
3050 Stock

Recap of Stock Mode 15+ year History (in MW games, "stock" is already something built into the board game)

Mech Warrior 2 (and Expansions) (1995-1997) - No built in server mutator for NetMech addon, but Stock Mech play was considered the official "Class Rule #2" by players setting up servers or in leagues. Otherwise the Single Player had the Clan Mechs already built for their stock configs to use and select.

Mech Warrior 3 (1999) - Stock Mode became an official addition as a selectable server configuration option, which enforced stock mechs automatically. It became a popular choice for those setting up servers and any easy way for leagues to run stock games.

Multiplayer Player BattleTech 3025 (2001) - The first official Mech Warrior "MMO" utilizing planetary conquest and other features. This game enforced Stock Mechs only, customization was a no-go, but plenty of variants with their canon loadouts were useable and overall the game is cited by many as one the best Lostech MW games.

Mech Warrior 4 (and expansions) (2000 - 2002) - The Stock Mode server configuration remained as an important addition, due to its popularity in the previous titles. NBT leagues were able to mod the game adding hundreds of stock variants (for a total of 338 variants across multiple Mechs). It became known as the biddable Combat Rule "T0" (or Stock Only) in official MW4 leagues (used to be "Class 2" from MW2).

Mech Warrior: Living Legends (2009) - This game was Stock Mechs only (Mech Lab was supposed to come later, but its fine without it). Some Mechs were configured to their exact canon loadouts, while some were made-up, but "realistic" Stock-like configs.

Edited by General Taskeen, 24 September 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#313 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

If there are enough players playing so we do not wait forever to be mached in then yes

Edited by M0rpHeu5, 06 October 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#314 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

Give me Liberty/Stock or give me Death.

#315 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:00 AM

I want logistics in CW. And I want PGI to use logistics in CW to make running not-stock mechs financially 'challenging'. Then the 12 v 12 can be turned into pure anything goes death match, solaris style.

#316 Alias72

• Pip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

I like this idea.

just one question. will clan omnis still be able to select from the different omni pods?

#317 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

Traditionally when one selects Clan Mechs for a stock game... like say in MegaMek, there is no switching of pods to make some sort of frankenstein thing. A Clan Timber Prime is just that, and only uses what it comes with. If it switches out the left arm pod, and nothing else, from a Mad Cat H or whatever, it is no longer a Prime or H, it is a non-stock Mech (it would need exactly everything the H has for it to be the stock of that). If running a campaign or something, where your Prime Timber has run out of the weapons/ammo it needs, or is damaged in areas; then you could look through your inventory to see if you have a large supply of a full "A" (or some other config) kit to completely turn it into that if you no longer have the appropriate supplies to make it a Prime (again, if you're just sticking to stock).

Prime
Alt. Config. H.

Basically the game would have to be setup where you are not switching pods here and there, but you are literally just selecting the full Alt. Configuration build.

#318 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

Yes to Stock Mode. No to having Stock Assault / Stock Capture / Stock Skirmish. Why. With your suggestion, we will dilute the queue for "meta" mode by half (assumption being twice as many modes). I think we should only have one stock mode with random assault / capture / skirmish. Stock mode will be for hard core as well as newbies. As hard core players, any mode should be doable. As a newbie, any mode is good for training. I know choice is king. But I just don't want more dilution of the queues and make the MM even worse.

#319 AkoolPopTart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationApartment

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostNRP, on 28 April 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Why should I take the thread seriously when the only poll options are "Yes"?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to roll in a stock mech. As the Trial Mechs show, they are absolute garbage. Customizing mechs to suit individual preferences is the great thing about MWO. Without it, MWO loses a lot of its appeal, at least for me.

The issue with that is is that some people, like myself, don't want to buy a $60 mech right off the bat when you can just as easily earn it, while also struggle busing with the shite awards system. Sorry, but some of us aren't spoiled by our parents or loaded with cash...

I vote Yes for trial only mech game mode.
I also request that trials be made customizable and that players should be given a variety of basic weapons that they can experiment with. That's how it works in every other mech combat sim that I've played.

Edited by AkoolPopTart, 28 April 2015 - 03:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users