100 replies to this topic

#61 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

seismic seems useless. Who cannot see a mech that is 200m away? OK so it might help if you are used to letting mechs get in behind you and sneak up on you. For me, when that lights is firing at me, I tend to just turn around. Not worth a slot.

One minute of UAV? Unless who teams carries it, I do not see this helping much. Probably not worth a slot or the CB.

As others said, no 12v12 is bad after the all the discussion about it coming out in April....now June? maybe? Then again, since they refuse to allow 2 or 4 mans to enter into the 12 man queue, it will be even more empty than the current 8 man.

And still no mention of PPC balancing....I guess we wait for 4 months like ECM response?

#62 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

No mention of 12 v 12...... sigh I am dissapointed Bryan Ekman very dissapointed

#63 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Misery looks great, my only wish is that skin could be unlocked for all other stalkers (or even other mechs for a MC cost).

Repaying hero mechs Hoorah!

Blackcack, meh. Not to excited tbh.

BAP and UAV, may bring LRM's back in to 8 mans.

And lots more fixes.

Looks good!

#64 Volt Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostChemie, on 04 May 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

seismic seems useless. Who cannot see a mech that is 200m away? OK so it might help if you are used to letting mechs get in behind you and sneak up on you. For me, when that lights is firing at me, I tend to just turn around. Not worth a slot.

One minute of UAV? Unless who teams carries it, I do not see this helping much. Probably not worth a slot or the CB.

As others said, no 12v12 is bad after the all the discussion about it coming out in April....now June? maybe? Then again, since they refuse to allow 2 or 4 mans to enter into the 12 man queue, it will be even more empty than the current 8 man.

And still no mention of PPC balancing....I guess we wait for 4 months like ECM response?

I can really only comment on half your post, as I'm on par with the rest. Seismic sensor will make it hella harder for 3Ls to sneak up on you, as well as Fatlai stomping behind hills. As for UAV, it looks ike it's something that's going to penetrate that damnedable bubble reliably. 1 minute is enough time to gather intel, get a couple of your streaks or lrms off, fire all the lasers and ballistics, and **** before that minute is up. LRMs will start to get their place back as a threat, we'll have more skillful ambushes rather than "Hur dur I've got ECM, let's go roll up behind them!", and lights will have a role other than harass, ECM, and cap. They will have the tools necessary for Information Warfare, one of the three design pillars of this game. I think they're excellent additions that'll change the hell out of the meta... if people bother using them.

Edit(s): **** spelling.

Edited by Volt Opt Construct, 05 May 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#65 Ras187

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

Wow a new map! Awesome :D

o7 :D

#66 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 03 May 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Seismic Sensor Module:
On May 21st, players will be able unlock and equip a new tactical module – the Seismic Sensor. This sensor is capable of detecting enemy BattleMech movement within 200 meters of your current location.

In Game Module Description said:

360 Target Retention: Allows retention of target information when the enemy moves behind the piloted Mech. (200m range)

I'll bring this up in the next Ask the Devs when the next Questions thread is opened, but what are going to be the differences between the two modules?

#67 Tyren Dian

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

You do not Need line of sight for seismic? :D

#68 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Waiting for missile buff. Kinda frustrating to shoot an alfa from my Atlas to a stand-still Raven 3L at 50m distance, and birdie just shakes its tailfeathers and runs away :D Or manoveur behind a medium, strike an alfa to its back and it survives.

Edited by VXJaeger, 05 May 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#69 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostThontor, on 06 May 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

I'm guessing the seismic sensor will let you see enemy mechs within 200m on your map, even behind hills, etc... by it will not effect targeting at all... Still no targeting out of line of sight.

The 360 target retention lets you keep a mech targeted, even if it goes behind you. This is mainly useful for keeping the mech targeted without needing to always expose your front armor to them, so your teammates can launch LRMs on them from behind cover.

The scenario you outlined make sense, but seems extremely situational and assumes that 360 is used on a LRM mech or a mech that supports LRMs (pretty rare these days unless we include scouts). So I am concerned that Seismic Sensor would make 360 Target Retention way less utilized or dare I say obsolete unless fixes/tweaks are made to LRMs so they're more viable like they used to be (but not to the point of OP).

If seismic sensor pinpoints a moving mech within 200m of me on my mini map regardless of whether I previously had it targeted or not, then I don't know that people will see that 360 Target Retention has any significant advantages over seismic sensor other than the detailed targeting data shown.

However, the "Keep a mech targeted" verbiage from the 360 Targeting description implies that 360 Target Retention requires that a mech I targeted has to go from my front FOV in order for it to show up on targeting when behind me.

I'm very happy that I've waited spending a lot of GXP on 360 so I can wait to see how Seismic sizes up to 360.

#70 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Count me as one of the Hunchback Hero mech support fans. Hopefully someday :ph34r:

#71 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

I thought I heard somewhere last month that the first phase of CW was going to be released in May? Did something happen, or is that just me making imaginationals up in my mind again..

#72 Fatbat

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCosta del Sol, Spain

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostTyren Dian, on 05 May 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

You do not Need line of sight for seismic? :ph34r:

Vibrations in the ground don't have anything to do with line of sight.

On another note...

Does anyone know if these two upcoming patches address all the various map bugs and missing HUD/IFF bugs? What about the crash to desktop issues that are plaguing us?

Edited by Fatbat, 06 May 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#73 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostFatbat, on 06 May 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Vibrations in the ground don't have anything to do with line of sight.

On another note...

Does anyone know if these two upcoming patches address all the various map bugs and missing HUD/IFF bugs? What about the crash to desktop issues that are plaguing us?

I haven't had a CTD since the hotfix on Friday.

#74 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 03 May 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Seismic Sensor Module

On May 21st, players will be able unlock and equip a new tactical module – the Seismic Sensor. This sensor is capable of detecting enemy BattleMech movement within 200 meters of your current location.

Thinking about this, I do not understand the point.

- Is that include all around the Mech even if you do not have 360 Retention?
- Does it cut through ECM? If so, how many, just 1 ECM?

#75 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostMerchant, on 06 May 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Thinking about this, I do not understand the point.

- Is that include all around the Mech even if you do not have 360 Retention?
- Does it cut through ECM? If so, how many, just 1 ECM?

I'm betting ECM won't affect it. Seismic would have to do with ground vibrations, which ECM can't negate.

Edited by jakucha, 06 May 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#76 Panimu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostFeatherwood, on 03 May 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

PGI, you makes me laugh again and again. 200m effective radius for some kind of sensor in the era of PPCs and realistic Thermal Vision? Can anybody explain what makes Seismic Sensor better than 360 Target Retention?

Seeing through buildings/obstacles both a) in the first place and :( when they juke behind it. Neither of which 360 would help with.

#77 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

"New Modules – Seismic Sensor, UAV, Advanced UAV. Improved UAV, and UAV Upgrade (21st)" <-- all consumables, or...?

#78 Tresch

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think it would be neat if the seismic sensor:

a) Only reported when a mech was actually moving
;) report strength increased with the mass of the mech
c) the reports weren't super accurate but like.. "blobs" based on amount of seismic activity in an area. 3 light mechs in a tight pack would look similar to a single assault
d) the sensor was only effective if you are standing still. Kinda hard to feel the ground vibrations when you're running.

And if we wanted to get really interesting

e) the sensors would give very rough general information, but multiple mechs with sensors would share information and triangulate data to give more accurate information

#79 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

How about if I could give false signals to someone with a seismic sensor by shooting the ground? Or make it go crazy by spamming LRM20s into the ground near him?

#80 alexivy

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

HAHAH! Another jumpjeting laser mech. PGI, your lack of foresight/compassion is astounding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users