• LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

But, the Omega is awesome looking.

#82 ZeroKel

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I am for sticking to the script regarding max tonnage.

#83 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

Mechs get slower as they get larger. As 4-6 is the highest non-augmented movement speed of an assault mech (and requires a gargantuan powerplant to propel it), the fastest movement speed of a Colossus-class chassis would be, 2-3? 30kph tops? An Annihlator would look downright zippy and economical in that territory.

The cost would likely be astronomical. The amount of drop weight it would consume, massive. The sheer size would likely require a reworking of the drop pod system, as 100-tonners have been described as a 'tight fit'.

If you take a look at history, the Germans tried something similar. Named the Maus, as some apparent joke by the engineers, it was to be a gigantic, nigh-untouchable tank with about 200mm of armor on just about every surface...and yet, its slow speed would have made it easy pickings for the allied air forces. The vast amount of materials required to make that one tank would have been a complete waste at that point. Similarly, for the cost of producing a single Tiger, something like 3 Panthers could have been made, with each of them being a highly effective tank.

So, yeah...waste. It would become a very slowly-moving turret, waiting to be circled and cut down by smaller units.

Inb4 someone invokes the name of the Third Reich's leader.

#84 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 05 June 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

I swear to god, panzer, I've seen you on the forums here before and I think you are a troll. :P

I already said it; I KNOW ALL OF THIS. I read it all. The circumstances as to why Terra fell were stupid and contrived. It never should have fallen in the first place. Then... after it fell, everyone was like "oh noes, the crazies control the cradle of humanity and all its resources... well lets NOT do anything about that. No... lets wait around for awhile so they have time to reinforce their position and utilize said resources".

Yeah... like i said, the whole story arc was ******* retarded and (EDIT: in regards to the Jihad, specifically) manufactured to legitimize Dark Age.

But I waste my time here. There is no unringing that bell with some of you people.

*putting headphones on*

I troll where I have too. This is one of those times.

You don't think them masquerading as that Merc force which equalled roughly HALF the defense of Terra had anything to do with it?

I have the Fall of Terra book right here and see nothing wrong with it at all.

HIndsight is 20/20 and especially easy for someone who has access to ALL the information from an observers point of view to comment about "why" this and "why" that.

We may as well talk about WW2 and WHY the allies didn't do this or WHY the Germans didn't do that. Eye of the storm and all that jazz.

Politics and the fog of war mixed with bad luck and even worse timing....and corruption....fraud....lies...deceit....nukes. Lots of nukes.

#85 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 05 June 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

But, the Omega is awesome looking.

Posted Image

#86 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostGendou, on 05 June 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

"All your ponies are belong to us."

#87 Shiinore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

View PostTHE Leo, on 05 June 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

When you think about it, why the hell has no one ever tried creating a Mech over a 100 tons? It would mean more firepower, more space, and more awesomeness.

More resources, more cost, more technology, more maintenance...

#88 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Would be interesting to balance the 100+ tonners, but I don't think it'd add anything to the game, honestly.
a large walking turret... I'd play one.
that said, with battletech ruleset, it would be quite fragile. Doesn't matter how much armour you have, its going to wear away eventually.

I think it would be better to simply have the base turrets player controlled...
as to the weight thing:
I drive large mining machines, my front end loader is approxamately 8m wide, 16m long and 4m high (which would be comparable to a mech laying down)
it weighs about 400t and can pick up as much as 70t in its bucket alone (i think its 32yard bucket)
So by that, you'd at LEAST look at double or triple the mechs weights

#89 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

I fail to see the point in a 100+ ton mech.

#90 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Isn't there already at least one topic on this?

Edited by Eegxeta, 05 June 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#91 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 05 June 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Okay.. I thought I was done here, but I admit.. you make a good point there. I realize that the fall of Terra wasn't really written with the Jihad as it turned out in mind. The part where I referred to Dark Age was more directed at the jihad in general. That said, the circumstances behind Terra's fall were still very weak sauce.

Well, fine, if you want to think so. About the Jihad, though, it was actually planned to happen long before the Dark Age was conceived, which is why you can find buildup and foreshadowing for it in various sourcebooks and novels, but FASA folded before it actually happened, so it was only actually written after WizKids did their time skip.

View PostAethon, on 05 June 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Mechs get slower as they get larger. As 4-6 is the highest non-augmented movement speed of an assault mech (and requires a gargantuan powerplant to propel it), the fastest movement speed of a Colossus-class chassis would be, 2-3? 30kph tops? An Annihlator would look downright zippy and economical in that territory.

The ligher Super-Heavies can actually go at an amazing 3/5, though the increased size of the engine and weight of the internal structure and gyro means that they are left over with less free tonnage than a 100-ton 'Mech going that speed.

Edited by Arctic Fox, 05 June 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#92 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostGendou, on 05 June 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#93 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

It's 3049, people; I mean really . . .

#94 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostArctic Fox, on 05 June 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

The ligher Super-Heavies can actually go at an amazing 3/5, though the increased size of the engine and weight of the internal structure and gyro means that they are left over with less free tonnage than a 100-ton 'Mech going that speed.

That seems like one hell of a waste to me. How much would said machine cost, anyway? I don't have any of the books that describe the build rules necessary for such a machine.

#95 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

No way....it would be quite useless mech unless you are fighting on complete open ground with enemy having no arty support..

#96 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I mean....present day advanced Atlas's are like..25mil.

#97 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Did some one say a 100+ ton battlemech? Well here you go.

To be honest, I am rather impressed by the animation, but over all, no thank you, we don't need the Ares and its variants, even if we some how lasted roughly 100 years when it shows up.

#98 LordDeathStrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

op, if you think like that, why not build a billion ton behemoth planet sieging mobile fortress? o ya, it would cause massive earth quakes and sink into a sublimation sink hole thats why!

also, mech skeleton/muscles/power plant have to be able to support and move the machine. these things were fully designed on paper with some common sense rules, and for the era of tech we are in in BT those rules state 100T weight limit for any practicle designs. this is a sim, the rules matter.

View PostCoralld, on 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Did some one say a 100+ ton battlemech? Well here you go.

To be honest, I am rather impressed by the animation, but over all, no thank you, we don't need the Ares and its variants, even if we some how lasted roughly 100 years when it shows up.

lol the triped ares, his top speed there appears to be 20 kph. which figures since running with 3 legs is impossible for a mech, most people cant manage to run without falling in a 3 leg race.

View PostAethon, on 05 June 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Posted Image

mmmmmm impenetrable ultra ferro armor

3 battleship railguns on the dorsal and 2 battleship plasma cannon arms!

and god only knows how many rear and side fireing automated defense small med lasers machine guns and flamers!

too bad the top speed is standing still cause its feet sank into the ferro crete streets.

#99 KANE LIVES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 108 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTOTALLY not somewhere worshiping a toaster.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Not in MWO, but I know of a few.
1 The Omega (150 tons)
2 The Orca (200 tons)
3 The Ares (tonnage depends on variant)

View PostShiinore, on 05 June 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

More resources, more cost, more technology, more maintenance...

MORE AWESOMENESS!!! But I do say, no 105+ tonnage 'mechs in MWO. (Maybe the Omega eventually)

#100 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

I mean....present day advanced Atlas's are like..25mil.

They're less than half that much if you ditch the XL engine, and find some other way to save weight. XL engines are the single most expensive thing you can put on a mech.

Except XXL engines. Nothing quite like spending 100 million C-bills on an engine for a single mech.

View PostKANE LIVES, on 05 June 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Not in MWO, but I know of a few.
1 The Omega (150 tons)
2 The Orca (200 tons)
3 The Ares (tonnage depends on variant)

MORE AWESOMENESS!!! But I do say, no 105+ tonnage 'mechs in MWO. (Maybe the Omega eventually)

You Lyrans and your oversized scout mechs. :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users