#61 screw ball

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TEXAS

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

its called the ares
looking at the weapons not that great however outgunned by alot of top assaults at 100tons needs 3 people and the leg arrangement looks really slow

#62 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 05 June 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

I know about that aspect of it, but those are specific "events". My problem is the whole Jihad itself. It's like the Wobbies suddenly learned how to engage cheatmode and built an army out of thin air large enough to take on everyone at once. YES, I KNOW all about the justifications they used in the books to explain how they built these armies and I DON'T CARE.

To put it simply, the whole Jihad arc stinks of a rushed job that was done simply to help explain away all the plot holes in Dark Age.

They did capture Terra. Terra had MASSIVE mech manufacturing capability. ie. The initiate. They were cranking that cheap effective mech off the lines like mad.

They also splintered ComStar and gained access to all sorts of goodies I'm sure.....and they started nuking people. That evened the playing field.

I have no problem with the WoB and their phantom warship assets which they had been gathering for decades covertly.

Edited by PANZERBUNNY, 05 June 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#63 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 05 June 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

No doubt they're rare, only the WoB had any, and even then I think they had what, a battalion? If we ever see them and LAMs again canonically, it'll be the RoTS post Fortress Republic.

J:FR mentions that less than thirty were built, all of which were fielded and destroyed during the fighting on Terra.

View PostMagnusEffect, on 05 June 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

I know about that aspect of it, but those are specific "events". My problem is the whole Jihad itself. It's like the Wobbies suddenly learned how to engage cheatmode and built an army out of thin air large enough to take on everyone at once. YES, I KNOW all about the justifications they used in the books to explain how they built these armies and I DON'T CARE.

To put it simply, the whole Jihad arc stinks of a rushed job that was done simply to help explain away all the plot holes in Dark Age.

Less than 54 Divisions is not an army large enough to take on everyone at once, and is actually pathetic compared to what the Word of Blake could have fielded. Have you also noticed the implication that they, you know, lost?

I really don't care if people want to dislike the Jihad storyline, but some of the complaints I hear about it are quite silly...

Edited by Arctic Fox, 05 June 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#64 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostArctic Fox, on 05 June 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Less than 54 Divisions is not an army large enough to take on everyone at once, and is actually pathetic compared to what the Word of Blake could have fielded. Have you also noticed the implication that they, you know, lost?

I really don't care if people want to dislike the Jihad storyline, but some of the complaints I hear about it are quite silly...

Yea, the hate gets old after awhile; plus we all know they're really the RoTS/still around in hyperspace/etc. :P

#65 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 05 June 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Yea, the hate gets old after awhile; plus we all know they're really the RoTS/still around in hyperspace/etc. :P

They're with Clan Wolverine protecting us from the aliens.

#66 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostZyzyx66, on 05 June 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Anyone get the feeling that the 'mech weights in Btech are severely underestimated?

These are assumedly 12-metre (that's a three-storey building) high weapons platforms right? So comparing a kitted out 'mech with, say, an Abrams Main Battle Tank, shouldn't they weigh CONSIDERABLY more? An Abrams MBT weighs around 65-70 tons, and falls far short of a 'mech in size.

Are they constructed out of super-lightweight material, or is it just an abstraction that I shouldn't read so much into?

Don't think too deep into it, battletech were never really hardcore sci fi since it has to work for a game first and foremost.

As a result, it's measurement units and concept are not going to hold up to scrutiny by anyone remotely versed with the basic physics involved. (the whole concept of large bipedal warmachines never made sense if you start applying basic military and physics)

But that's fine because the lore's relevance with real material is secondary to it's primary function as a background for the game, so as long as we think in terms of the lore's setting and as long as it's consistent within that setting, we can let it by.

#67 Jacough

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

View Postscrew ball, on 05 June 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

its called the ares
looking at the weapons not that great however outgunned by alot of top assaults at 100tons needs 3 people and the leg arrangement looks really slow

It is slow actually. Painfully slow I might add. According to sarna the max speed is around 28 km/h and on top of that it really doesn't pack much in the way of weapons, at least nowhere near enough to make up for all its drawbacks

#68 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

View Postscrew ball, on 05 June 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

its called the ares

The Omega is listed on the first page, it's bigger.

View PostGendou, on 05 June 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

They're with Clan Wolverine protecting us from the aliens.

The bird people from Far Country?!?!

#69 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 05 June 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

They did capture Terra. Terra had MASSIVE mech manufacturing capability. ie. The initiate. They were cranking that cheap effective mech off the lines like mad.

They also splintered ComStar and gained access to all sorts of goodies I'm sure.....and they started nuking people. That evened the playing field.

I have no problem with the WoB and their phantom warship assets which they had been gathering for decades covertly.

I swear to god, panzer, I've seen you on the forums here before and I think you are a troll. :P

I already said it; I KNOW ALL OF THIS. I read it all. The circumstances as to why Terra fell were stupid and contrived. It never should have fallen in the first place. Then... after it fell, everyone was like "oh noes, the crazies control the cradle of humanity and all its resources... well lets NOT do anything about that. No... lets wait around for awhile so they have time to reinforce their position and utilize said resources".

Yeah... like i said, the whole story arc was ******* retarded and (EDIT: in regards to the Jihad, specifically) manufactured to legitimize Dark Age.

But I waste my time here. There is no unringing that bell with some of you people.

*putting headphones on*

Edited by MagnusEffect, 05 June 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#70 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 05 June 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

The bird people from Far Country?!?!

One must never underestimate the looming threat of the impending Tetatae invasion...

#71 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostMagnusEffect, on 05 June 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

I swear to god, panzer, I've seen you on the forums here before and I think you are a troll. :P

Yeah.. like i said. I KNOW ALL OF THIS. I read it all. The circumstances as to why Terra fell were stupid and contrived. It never should have fallen in the first place. Then... after it fell, everyone was like "oh noes, the crazies control the cradle of humanity and all its resources... well lets NOT do anything about that. No... lets wait around for awhile so they have time to reinforce their position and utilize said resources". Yeah... like i said, the whole story arc was ******* retarded and manufactured specifically to legitimize Dark Age.

That's some pretty impressive time travel on WizKids' part considering that the Word of Blake's capture of Terra was written about in 1996...

#72 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the madcat 100 tons?

#73 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 05 June 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Not quite 100 years, they show up in the WoB arsenal on Terra, so nearly 30ish years.

Who knows the year the clans make their appearance? I don't wanna wait 5 or so years for a madcat!

#74 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostNikguy, on 05 June 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Who knows the year the clans make their appearance? I don't wanna wait 5 or so years for a madcat!

You'll have approx one year from game release, iirc.

#75 Gendou

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostSkadi, on 05 June 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the madcat 100 tons?

You are indeed wrong.

The Timber Wolf weights a mere 75 tons.
The Mad Cat Mk. II is 90, so you're getting a little closer there.

#76 Nikguy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 05 June 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

You'll have approx one year from game release, iirc.

Cool, perfect timing! I need to do some sarna.net reasearch and see what things do and dont exist in 3049

#77 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostArctic Fox, on 05 June 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

One must never underestimate the looming threat of the impending Tetatae invasion...

Honestly I was pretty sure they caused the Dark Age war until they killed the line and never finished the story anyway :P

#78 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostNikguy, on 05 June 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Cool, perfect timing! I need to do some sarna.net reasearch and see what things do and dont exist in 3049

Innersphere Yes, Clans.... NOTHING before August and then only hints and rumors from the periphery Check the TRO 3039 (IS) and the TRO 3050 (the Clans)

Cheers

#79 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostArctic Fox, on 05 June 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

That's some pretty impressive time travel on WizKids' part considering that the Word of Blake's capture of Terra was written about in 1996...

Okay.. I thought I was done here, but I admit.. you make a good point there. I realize that the fall of Terra wasn't really written with the Jihad as it turned out in mind. The part where I referred to Dark Age was more directed at the jihad in general. That said, the circumstances behind Terra's fall were still very weak sauce.

Edited by MagnusEffect, 05 June 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#80 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

NO NO NO NO

NO mech over a 100 tons please, that was a click abomination the col mech.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users