#41 Karyudo ds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 08 May 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I've put them in primer today and this is the result. its much easier now to see the level of detail that I managed to get.
IWM eat your heart out ;)

This is partly why I really wish IWM would switch to multi-part plastic and redo the old mechs. That and the easier to work with factor. Not terribly cheap.

Also yes I want.

#42 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

will you paint them like your ingame mechs?

#43 rayven

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sentinal -

Any chance of sharing those models that you so gloriously worked on? The 3D models that is, not your printed work.

#44 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postrayven, on 08 May 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Sentinal -

Any chance of sharing those models that you so gloriously worked on? The 3D models that is, not your printed work.

Good idea. Even if you could only send it privately to those who request it. I for one would appretiate it very much.

#45 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

I'm sorry but I will not be handing out these models for fear of being accused of distributing a means to violate copyright.

However if I were able to sell a few at production costs I would not be opposed to that but first I have to see what the legal rammifications are. So do not get your hopes up.

Now back to painting

#46 DasFreshMaker

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 09 May 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

I'm sorry but I will not be handing out these models for fear of being accused of distributing a means to violate copyright.

However if I were able to sell a few at production costs I would not be opposed to that but first I have to see what the legal rammifications are. So do not get your hopes up.

Now back to painting

Those look even better than I thought they would.

If / when you're able to determine if there would be any copyright violation / legal quandaries.... And all is in the clear.. I'll be waiting with bells on. :blink:

Until then.. MAKE MOAR !! ;)

#47 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

today i learned i have no skills when it comes to painting mini's, i need some tutorials :)

#48 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

In that, at least, I can help. Assuming you primed with a nice thin coat, you can go about painting the models a couple ways. For a worn look, a combination of drybrushing (done by dipping the brush in paint, then wiping most of it off before running it across the model roughly to apply paint only to raised surfaces) and inking (using a painting ink, often with a little soap added to break up surface tension, lightly applied to recesses) is a quick, simple way to paint a miniature. This technique is designed to bring the details inherent in the model itself to view, not so much adding detail to the model that is not there.

You can also, again after a thin primer coat, directly paint on a base color of your choice, careful to leave cracks between armor panels and joints with the darker primer. Camouflage can be applied in such a manner. Highlighting with the edge of the shaft of a detail brush, you can apply a brighter than base color to the edges of the model to bring out highlights manually, though it is easy to overdo it. An ink wash is also usually a good idea here, since it helps accentuate the shadows, and a very light drybrush, if done carefully, can be a nice way to finish it off.

If you wanted to protect your paint jobs further, a mat varnish, again lightly applied, is great, with any reflective or shiny surfaces you desire manually coated with gloss varnish, by hand with the brush.

Some fun additional paint types out there involve interference paints and pearlescents, but their use is highly limited. In any case, I highly recommend acrylic water based paints.

Edit:

One more thing: Work dark to light. Dark at the bottom, light to the top. Just seems to work better that way when painting minis. Or, at least, it did for me.

Fair warning, it has been years since I last painted a miniature, mostly 40k and BFG. I remember screaming my hatred for the quality of the IWM models, however. Incredible pieces of poo.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 09 May 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#49 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

very nice.

#50 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Alright I might have an update regarding these figures and possibly making a few for others. I've been digging through these forums and I found this post by Viterbi, one of the IGP staff moderators on these forums, in which he/she states the following regarding 3d printing and fanart

"At this time, we do not have models to provide you for creating your own 3D prints. It sounds like a very interesting proposition, but unfortunately we can't provide you with these assets.

You're welcome to generate user-created BattleTech items, (so long as you're not making profit on MechWarrior Online licenced material), though it is prohibited to solicited others for such projects.

With that being said, we would love to see what you come up with, so be sure to send us a photo if you end up creating something interesting."

Source: http://mwomercs.com/...37#entry2099237

I wonder if I would be allowed to do a very limited run of these and let people just pay for production thus I would not make a profit on these items.

My inbox is litteraly filling up with people asking to get some of these models. I enjoy making them so if someone else wants them I would be willing to let them have them for the cost of production.
But then again I dont want to undermine IWM or any other legitimate retailer of battletech mini's So they would be limited to maybe 20 or so prints of each

Any comments on this would be appriciated.

If not I'll just keep making them for myself

Edited by Sentinel373, 09 May 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well, what needs doing is one of us needs to flat out ask one of the Devs, I reckon. Maybe buy them off with a nice set of custom minis....... I'll tell ya know, when we do find a way to get legit clearance.. I will be on the short list for the production runs. PERIOD, lol.

#52 DeathSentence

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Pshhh, no question. I'd be happy to spot production cost for one or two of anything you make. Your work is fantastic.

#53 DasFreshMaker

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 09 May 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

"At this time, we do not have models to provide you for creating your own 3D prints. It sounds like a very interesting proposition, but unfortunately we can't provide you with these assets.

You're welcome to generate user-created BattleTech items, (so long as you're not making profit on MechWarrior Online licenced material), though it is prohibited to solicited others for such projects.

With that being said, we would love to see what you come up with, so be sure to send us a photo if you end up creating something interesting."

I wonder if I would be allowed to do a very limited run of these and let people just pay for production thus I would not make a profit on these items.

So they would be limited to maybe 20 or so prints of each

That's great news. Just don't rush into it. As bad as I would love to have a few for myself, it's not worth you getting into any kind of legal trouble. (I won't bother sending you mail until you are able to get a clear answer... plus I've been tormenting you since your first 3d printer thread :P )

**edit** Also: I'd be happy to pay front, for a piece of the run, to make sure you don't get left in a pinch.. Just saying

Edited by DasFreshMaker, 10 May 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#54 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

My inbox is litteraly filling up with people asking to get some of these models. I enjoy making them so if someone else wants them I would be willing to let them have them for the cost of production.

You're welcome to generate user-created BattleTech items, though it is prohibited to solicited others for such projects.

It's pretty clear. You have to tell them no, they have to make their own.

#55 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

i tried painting my raven... note i have never painted a miniature before.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm sorry i mutilated it. but i have since stripped the paint and i've gotten some tips from people here and from friends so tonight i'll give it another go.

#56 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 11 May 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

I'm sorry i mutilated it. but i have since stripped the paint and i've gotten some tips from people here and from friends so tonight i'll give it another go.

maybe a smalle rbrush would help

#57 BLaaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Alright I might have an update regarding these figures and possibly making a few for others. I've been digging through these forums and I found this post by Viterbi, one of the IGP staff moderators on these forums, in which he/she states the following regarding 3d printing and fanart

But then again I dont want to undermine IWM or any other legitimate retailer of battletech mini's So they would be limited to maybe 20 or so prints of each

I would not sell or distribute anything without an official statement / green given by the relevant party holders. I am sure if there were to be such a time, PGI would surely post a sticky up.

As for the painting. Good first attempt. Waaay better than I could achieve with my 100th or best attempt. Can't wait to see your other mini's painted.

#58 slash b slash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationParts unknown

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 11 May 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thin your paints.

#59 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

The models are beyond awesome, excellent work.

Subcontract the painting :)

Thin your paints (those aren't enamel are they?)
Smaller brush maybe, but a finer brush for sure.

Finish one color before moving to the next, (basecoat, shading, weathering and highlights on, say, the purple before adding the white, etc. etc.). [<--personal recommendation, you'll get several opinions on this]

Acquire inexpensive miniatures from somewhere else (gnab some reaper minis perhaps), to perfect your technique on before applying brush to these that you've put so much effort and cash into.

#60 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

The nice thing about being able to print your own miniatures is that if you screw up the painting... just make more! :huh:

I'm tearing up a bit here. This is the future, and it's making me really really happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users