84 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

I don't think I'll be buying this one, it's a bit too expensive for me. But! Here's what I would do with it:

Misery Brawler!

STD280, 3 Large Pulse Lasers, AC20 with 4 tons of ammo. Because Stalkers are meant to charge straight towards the enemy like a torpedo and blast them to atoms!

#2 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Just messing around I came up with this. Admittingly it's more weapon's than I care to keep track of at once, though.

This is another take on the same concept, albeit with more long range punch.

And this one here is quick throw together for some direct fire support.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 May 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

STD280, 3 Large Pulse Lasers, AC20 with 4 tons of ammo. Because Stalkers are meant to charge straight towards the enemy like a torpedo and blast them to atoms!

I don't get why people likes LPL when practically it's no difference from two ML strapped together.

Which is why I have this.

Still I think PGI is scared by the notion of P2W, which is why they pushed forward such a miserably weak Hero. They could've at least gave it two ballistic hardpoints on LT.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 07 May 2013 - 03:17 PM.
removed profanity / directed insults

#4 Sathaless

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

MISERY

Nothing like sweating with a gauss grenade strapped to your chest. :)

Edited by Sathaless, 07 May 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#5 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostRaso, on 07 May 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Just messing around I came up with this. Admittingly it's more weapon's than I care to keep track of at once, though.
This is another take on the same concept, albeit with more long range punch.
And this one here is quick throw together for some direct fire support.

Seems to be missing the first link. The last build with 4 LLs is definitely too hot for my taste. I would overheat after 5 seconds :)

View PostHelmstif, on 07 May 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I don't get why people likes LPL when practically it's no difference from two ML strapped together.
Which is why I have this.

Are you serious? The difference is huge, except on paper. Unless you have the aim of a machine, it's very hard to get the same concentrated damage with MLs as LPLs. LPLs are perfect for chopping off limbs on moving targets, MLs are most effective against fragile light mechs or slower, bigger mechs. Against a fast medium mech, medium lasers are just going to spread damage across different components.

View PostHelmstif, on 07 May 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Still I think PGI is scared by the notion of P2W, which is why they pushed forward such a miserably weak Hero. They could've at least gave it two ballistic hardpoints on LT.

I was pleasantly surprised, actually.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 07 May 2013 - 03:17 PM.
quote cleanup

#6 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostSathaless, on 07 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

MISERY

Nothing like sweating with a gauss grenade strapped to your chest. :)

Oh look, someone created a Atlas RS ;) Ontopic: Tormentor; http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55c38bf3e390f21

Edited by Skadi, 07 May 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#7 Sathaless

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

MISERY

#8 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

So three different Misery builds with 4-5 Large Lasers and heat efficiency in the low thirties?

<scratches head>

#9 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 May 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

So three different Misery builds with 4-5 Large Lasers and heat efficiency in the low thirties?

<scratches head>

For me it comes down to the fact I know how to manage high heat mechs like that in different situations... I wouldn't recommend my mechs for beginners... at all.

#10 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9cbd274eac3ad6e

Went for a slightly cooler build at the expense of alpha, but with armor & speed bump.

Edited by Blalok, 07 May 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#11 Dalorante Corbanis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCaboteur Elistar Maison Davion

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Pfffffffffff 4x PPC/GAUSS very very noob players boutonneux.

#12 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 May 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Are you serious? The difference is huge, except on paper. Unless you have the aim of a machine, it's very hard to get the same concentrated damage with MLs as LPLs. LPLs are perfect for chopping off limbs on moving targets, MLs are most effective against fragile light mechs or slower, bigger mechs. Against a fast medium mech, medium lasers are just going to spread damage across different components.

I am serious. 2xML has 33% longer firing cycle, 30m less range, marginally more heat than LPL and FIVE WHOLE TONS lighters. Also takes one less crit slot. Is LPL good? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. Is it worth the weight trade-off? Absolutely not.

It does not take a machine to maintain the aim, just a bit of concentration. Or are you too old to keep your hand steady? *gasp*

Also this is how I'd run LPL (just go with the stock engine, as STD280 really doesn't work on any other 'Mech and not worth the CB), and this is my AC20 version - It runs the largest engine! :)

Edited by Helmstif, 07 May 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#13 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Misery.

Yeah, yeah. Brawler, but I'd find it fun.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Haven't done a build yet, but I ran the default rig. I'll come back and edit this when I do have one.

#15 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 07 May 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Misery.

Why not put ammo in head & feet so you won't need CASE?

#16 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

close range build

even closer range build

I don' actually own one yet but, I came up with these messing around in the mechlab. I think it seems like a bigger cataphract hard point wise so i tried to make a mix of my phract builds.

View PostEvinthal, on 07 May 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Misery.

you would also have to fire 50 times to use all of that SRM ammo that's over 3 minutes of continuous fire. you can gain some tonnage for heat sinks there.

Edited by joedawg39s, 07 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#17 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 07 May 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

I am serious. 2xML has 33% longer firing cycle, 30m less range, marginally more heat than LPL and FIVE WHOLE TONS lighters. Also takes one less crit slot. Is LPL good? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe. Is it worth the weight trade-off? Absolutely not.

"Absolutely not" is a bit bombastic, even in my book.

I prefer the LPL, to be honest. I will use the ML when I don't have the spare tonnage. My most successful build is probably my CTF-1X with 5 ML and 1 Gauss. So I know what an ML can do.

It does not take a machine to maintain the aim, just a bit of concentration. Or are you too old to keep your hand steady? *gasp*

Or perhaps I'm facing opponents who are better at torso twisting :) We can exchange bravado all day, my e-peen is 10 inches long. In fact, I just got out of a match not 2 minutes ago, scoring 5 kills with my double LPL Centurion. How do you like them apples?

You may argue that I didn't do much damage, and that I only stole the kills. Well, there is that.

I'm not sure why you'd recommend a smaller engine, and then show another build with the largest engine. As far as I know, the STD280 has no special quirks that makes it better or worse than other engines ;)

#18 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Misery Loves Company

A close to mid range brawler sporting 3 LLs, 2 MLs, and an AC20 with 4 tons of ammo. Leg arrmor has been upped, and as many double heatsinks as possible have been crammed into the mech.

#19 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 May 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm not sure why you'd recommend a smaller engine, and then show another build with the largest engine. As far as I know, the STD280 has no special quirks that makes it better or worse than other engines :)

That's the stock engine. As I said, 280 doesn't really work on any other 'Mechs, thus not exactly economical (unlike the STD/XL300 which runs on EVERYTHING). My DDC runs the same 48.6 km/h speed so I feel I should be comfortable with this.

#20 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 07 May 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

That's the stock engine. As I said, 280 doesn't really work on any other 'Mechs, thus not exactly economical (unlike the STD/XL300 which runs on EVERYTHING). My DDC runs the same 48.6 km/h speed so I feel I should be comfortable with this.

You're just saying that it doesn't work on any other Mech, without explaining why. Of course it works on other mechs. Works great on my Awesomes, works on Cataphracts, you name it. And even if it didn't, it doesn't matter so long as it works on the Stalker. It's not like STD engines are expensive.

View PostRegulus1990, on 07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Misery Loves Company
A close to mid range brawler sporting 3 LLs, 2 MLs, and an AC20 with 4 tons of ammo. Leg arrmor has been upped, and as many double heatsinks as possible have been crammed into the mech.

A bit too hot for me, but nice. Also, credit for what I assume is an homage to Metallica.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 07 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users