3D Madcat/ Timberwolf Model With Internals (Updated 12.02.14)

3D

108 replies to this topic

#41 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Greetings Joe,

Great looking work.

Just an observation, if the seat is designed to be ejected, it will need a rail or rails to direct it during deployment. Normally these rails go right to the roof and rear of the "blow out hatch".

Additionally, unless the pilot uses or needs all the cabling on the side of the chair they would all be tucked tight against the frame. Anything that is connected to the back wall would need to have quick connects and be angled back for "eject mode". (not including the coolant/communication lines that plug into the pilots suit.)

Having worked in very tight spaces(tanks), any cable or bar that you bang something off of more that once gets moved or tied back. Anything loose gets fastened down.

Anything that requires continuous use is normally angled to the pilot or operator for ease of use and visibility. Push buttons and turning selector switch's over ride toggles as toggles need side or top covers/locks to protect them from being inadvertently moved during hasty activities. (Should be big on ergonomics as this is a "fighting machine" not a day driver.) If you have to push against your seat belts to reach a control it's too far away.[Ps: your missing the lap seat belts,5 point harness]

These are all just observations and not critiques.

9erRed

#42 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Looks great!

#43 chaz706

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Utah

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Those Internals... :rolleyes:

#44 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Good stuff.

How many polys so far?

#45 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

me wants this timeberwolf!

#46 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostJoseph Ward, on 20 June 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Now THIS this is the Timberwolf we should see in MWO. Absolutely awesome. Thank you.

My only concern is that with all those internal polygons, it'd probably melt people's GPUs trying to render the thing.

#47 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Simply put: mind blowing.

#48 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostLeafia Barrett, on 29 July 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

My only concern is that with all those internal polygons, it'd probably melt people's GPUs trying to render the thing.

I don' think anyone here would suggest such a stupidity. He was just talking about the design itself.

#49 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

only thing i dislike are the arms, look more like pipes from old vacuum cleaners.

the weapon mounts on the arms look like they are made to withstand some hits, while the arms look like they break off if a soldier throws a stone at them.

they just dont fit the epic rest of the mech.

Edited by Pinselborste, 29 July 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#50 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

Looking pretty spot on to the original. Don't really understand all the hate for the thin arms though, considering the mech has always looked like that. Not to mention the design really slims down the frontal profile of the mech. Combine that with the fact that it goes 86.4 kph and you'll find it incessantly hard to land any disarming shots on either arm.
Posted Image

#51 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostFoxx, on 29 July 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Looking pretty spot on to the original. Don't really understand all the hate for the thin arms though, considering the mech has always looked like that.

the arms need a complete redesign, they just dont fit a warmachine, especially when considiring that they cary those huge weapon pods.

#52 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

It is just beautiful.

#53 Arkmaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

This dude creates 3D mech models that look awesome.

I have trouble making the bed.

FML.

#54 Zureal

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

What program are you using to make that? I was thinking Maya but the layout on one of ur pics suggests otherwise. 3S max? or a Mach program? Great job so far, how many hours so far?

#55 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 30 July 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Blender says this:
Verts: 1588072
Faces: 1346147
Tris: 2755785

I'm not sure what one the polys would be, if it is one?

It would be both Faces and Tris. Tris are simply triangles. Faces are basically another name for polygons with 3+ sides.

Verts is short for vertices. On a cube it would be the 8 points that make the corners.

For example a plane can have 1 face, 2 tris and 4 verts. A cube can have 6 faces, 12 tris and 8 verts.

#56 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Why tris? For high quality rendering, quads are the way to go. Are you planning on cleaning up the geometry in the future?

PS: Will buy cockpit geometry from you for real cash money. Holy balls, I want something with that level of detail without actually having to DO the work!!! ;-)

#57 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 12 July 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Done a bit more on this today. Replaced the lasers at the bottom of the front torso to machine guns, started to do the internals of the lower parts, and also played around with the centre torso internals. Also there is a bit more behind the cockpit area now, but this is not really that visable in these renders. I am going to add the entrance door and some armour panels to the coned part when I get a chance ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, outstanding work, and keeping so close to the canon blueprints!

However seeing this in 3D, some things are brought into attention: Mainly, for a 'mech with so many windows, the pilot's visibility is pretty horrible in there. The bottom-front windows are pretty much pointless since the pilot can't even see out of them, and being seated so far back, there is no side visibility.

I guess I had always imagined that the cockpit was lower and more forward, with the back of the cockpit interior would've been closer to the back of the cockpit glass, and the pilot's feet would've been basically sitting right on top of the two center weapon barrels and the seat being cradled between the outer barrels.

#58 Rayyner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

One million and 300k faces are not too many?
Один миллион 300тысяч многоугольников -- не многовато ли?

#59 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 30 July 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

They do look a little thin, and may tweak them when the model is complete, but did not want to stray too far away from the look of the original Madcat kinda look B)

have you thought about adding some kind of armor plates to them?

maybe attach the in a hexagon shape with some space between them so the round parts of the arms are still visible.

btw, i really love the weapon mounts on the torso.

a little bit offtopic: is there any place for non BT related models and other art?

#60 Chilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Joe,

Simply incredible man!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users