3D Madcat/ Timberwolf Model With Internals (Updated 12.02.14)

3D

108 replies to this topic

#61 Xamanes

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Looks to me that all the 3d work for PGI is done, they should hire you lol!

#62 T3N5H1

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

looks great, this took much time i think

one question from me:
what program is this?

#63 SIN Deacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

***!ng beautiful mate

#64 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostJoe3142, on 02 August 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

There are some little armour plates on the arm, but nothing massive ;) Not sure the hexagon idea would work or not.

Not sure what you mean at the end?

i like the way the mounted weapons in the torso look :)

btw, i think the hips or whatever those round parts are on the legs need to be a bit smaller cause the block arm movement if the mech is looking forward with the torso.

also, question for all of you: is there a section for non BT related 3d models and other art?

#65 PraetorRUS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 326 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostT3N5H1, on 02 August 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

looks great, this took much time i think

one question from me:
what program is this?

That's Blender

http://www.blender.org/download

#66 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostJoe3142, on 30 July 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Blender says this:
Verts: 1588072
Faces: 1346147
Tris: 2755785

Oh dear merciful heaven, that is terrifyingly high.

#67 RoboCriminal

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Awesome, cool to see how this is progressed and how fantastic it came out.

One thought I had though, if you are looking for a believable use for that lower set of windows, you could put the thermal imaging, NV, and other optics back there. Presumably the future versions might be smaller and more efficient then their 1980s counterparts, but here is a RL example of a F-117 with a very similar setup for inspiration:

Posted Image

That lower windscreen has the thermal imaging device, and the smaller lens at the 10 o'clock position is the laser designation/rangefinder.

Just a thought anyway.

#68 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Your 3D skills are amazing, I'm just not a fan of the I would say 'nostalgic' style you've chosen. Don't like the tube arms and also don't understand why it "has to" look like MW2 or the older models and I hope it won't look like that in MWO, since MWO's mech redesigns are great and much more modern looking.

Neverthanless, the model detail is great. Keep workin!

#69 RoboCriminal

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 02 August 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

The model is pretty much finished now. I think something looks out with the legs, not quite sure what though, maybe they are too skinney, or small, or it may just be the positioning of them. I dunno. Need a break from this now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are some little armour plates on the arm, but nothing massive :) Not sure the hexagon idea would work or not.

Not sure what you mean at the end?

The "thigh" section is too small and doesn't make sense. Here is another artists interpretation:

Posted Image

#70 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Started to work on this again, and started by making a radar dish style device to sit in the front nose where the windows are as suggested. Did not want to make them overly detailed as there are already too many verts and stuff on the model. Its not much but fills the nose that was pretty much empty

REMOVED PICTURES TO SAVE SPACE!

Edited by Joe3142, 07 February 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#71 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

awesome

#72 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostGlowhollow, on 26 September 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

awesome

no, timberwolf :)

#73 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Your find your lack of Myomers disturbing.

Yes I know your work is based on an official blueprint so it's not your fault but I wonder why no one, not even those that made the official blueprints, designs these Mechs with Myomers in mind once they remove the armor.

Still a nice model though :P

#74 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostDurahl, on 06 October 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Your find your lack of Myomers disturbing.

Yes I know your work is based on an official blueprint so it's not your fault but I wonder why no one, not even those that made the official blueprints, designs these Mechs with Myomers in mind once they remove the armor.

These machines' movements are powered by hydraulics and electric motors. The whole myomer thing was an attempt to make them more human-like (and perhaps have more components inside to go wrong) way back when the game first started, and didn't make much sense in any case.

Take a look at the design of Clan 'Mechs in comparison to Inner Sphere ones. Whoever designed the Clanners must have decided that myomers weren't necessary at all. There's no way any kind of effective musculature is present in most Clanner 'Mechs. In my BattleTech/MechWarrior, all 'Mechs are like that -- no myomer.

#75 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

Oh I don't know, once you stop trying to emulate an organic musculo-skeletal structure, you can get pretty creative with ways to employ artificial muscle like materials, .
I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine each of the pistons in the legs being filled with a material like the one in the video. No leaks if damaged, runs on a direct electrical impulse, meaning less complexity than an electromechanical hydraulic actuator, plus no hyd fluid all over the place, better working conditions for your techs! (I may be a little bit biased on that last point)

Edited by Gryphorim, 08 October 2013 - 02:24 AM.

#76 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

This 3D model of a Timberwolf looks really professional, love it!

#77 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 08 October 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

These machines' movements are powered by hydraulics and electric motors. The whole myomer thing was an attempt to make them more human-like (and perhaps have more components inside to go wrong) way back when the game first started, and didn't make much sense in any case.

Take a look at the design of Clan 'Mechs in comparison to Inner Sphere ones. Whoever designed the Clanners must have decided that myomers weren't necessary at all. There's no way any kind of effective musculature is present in most Clanner 'Mechs. In my BattleTech/MechWarrior, all 'Mechs are like that -- no myomer.

IMHO Myomers make a lot more sense in a Mech than a Hydraulic or Actuator based Movement System simply because of the flexibility in both placement and performance they offer.

Recently I've seen a funny Image stating: "If all your muscles could pull in one direction you'd be able to LIFT a bus." - Say what? I'd like to see an Actuator of similar size/weight ratio pull that off.

Or take a look at todays most advanced robots in terms of movement stability, none of the larger ones works with Motors or Servos, they all use a Hydraulic/Pneumatic based system which gives them the much needed flexibility to absorb the shocks caused by their own movement.

Now when has it been the last time you've seen a 20t bipedal robot? I for one haven't seen one yet, only some hexapedal forrester machines which I believe didn't even scratch the 15t mark while using hydraulics and that's with 6 legs moving carefully like on raw eggs.

Using Myomers you only need an electric power source without a bulky pump since they work just like muscles.

Working with Myomers instead of Hydraulics or Actuators is simply a win/win solution.

#78 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

If I had put myomers in the mech, it would have just made the poly count stupidly high and they would also be a pain to model! But they would have been good to do...

#79 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 08 October 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Oh I don't know, once you stop trying to emulate an organic musculo-skeletal structure, you can get pretty creative with ways to employ artificial muscle like materials, .
I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. Imagine each of the pistons in the legs being filled with a material like the one in the video. No leaks if damaged, runs on a direct electrical impulse, meaning less complexity than an electromechanical hydraulic actuator, plus no hyd fluid all over the place, better working conditions for your techs! (I may be a little bit biased on that last point)

Myomer pistons, I believe was the concept behind the locomotion in VOTOMS, one of the best Mecha series ever made.

Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 14 October 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#80 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

and actually, myomer musculature would allow for a lot more range of motion and complexity, while from a durability standpoint, greater simplicity.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users