76 replies to this topic

#21 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Here are the building instructions

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

download the zip file and extract the file and folder within to the same directory and open the html file.

#22 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

most likely not. I made it by referencing the in mechlab model. Also I made it more to a minifig lego scale, rather than to an "in game" scale. Note the too big head.

#23 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image

#24 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

Your work inspired me to try designing for myself, and I'm evidently not as impressive and capable as you are (you're awesome!) so I'm not trying to steal any attention, but I just wanted to try making a Dragon, since it's my favourite mech, for myself and hopefully buy the pieces on PaB, although I estimated my design to be between £100-200...

It's proving very troublesome, I think I might have started off too big! Here are the legs and lower torso, with a minifigure to show the scale.

Obviously I'm a novice, but Lego was sort of my entire childhood. Any tips or advice would be highly appreciated ;).
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

You're not the only one who was inspired by this! I'm trying my own hand at a Lego model of my own favourite Mech, the Catapult K2. Progress is slow because I'm a perfectionist and I don't have that much time to dedicate to it, so it might take good while until I feel it's finished.

As for scale, I've started on the nose/cockpit section, and I'm planning to move out from there to keep everything in the proper proportions. Here's what I've got so far:

Posted Image

#26 Lavi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Maybe this thread deserves a sticky and place here all lego designs?

#27 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

Nah, I don't think that's necessary. My post above is really just threadjacking, and I'll make my own thread when the time comes.

#28 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Nice work i might have to try my hand at some of these ;)

#29 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yeah! those are great! As far as scale, I at first had the same problem. I had this gigantic Centurion head that would have ended up way to big. Anyway it's looking good so far. Remember to consider how it looks from all angles.

Edited by dak irakoz, 16 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#30 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Any chance you could put up the LDD blueprints as well? I really dig the centurion, and was planning on buying the parts for it because it looks so good, but I did want to change the color scheme.

#31 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm very flattered. know anywhere that could host an ldd file? also, be wary of the leg joints. I suspect it'll be too top heavy. I basically filled the torso with bricks.

#32 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postdak irakoz, on 19 May 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'm very flattered. know anywhere that could host an ldd file? also, be wary of the leg joints. I suspect it'll be too top heavy. I basically filled the torso with bricks.

The Lego website's LDD gallery?

http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/gallery/

Make a free account and upload dat hot piece of mech. ;)

Edited by FupDup, 19 May 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#33 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

http://www.mediafire...qf9i3i76vps0npd

I uploaded it to mediafire.

If you build it, you have to send me pictures.

#34 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

I've been playing around around with that lxf model, and it's great taking a deeper look and seeing all the effort and detail you put in it. For example, I love how you made that pilot's seat. I noticed that your Centurion is really quite big. It's about 53 studs tall, which translates to 42 cm or 1:35 scale. That would definitely look impressive standing before you!

I also encountered what might be a problem if you tried to pose the model IRL. The way you made the shoulder joint makes it almost impossible for it to rotate. The joint can really only be moved by turning the worm wheel, which is almost inaccessible. Is that by design? It wouldn't be that hard to fix.

#35 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yeah it would be a good idea to carry that through and have a knob on the outside. When I was making it, I didn't think it would get built, which is why i didn't do this.

#36 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postdak irakoz, on 20 May 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

http://www.mediafire...qf9i3i76vps0npd

I uploaded it to mediafire.

If you build it, you have to send me pictures.

Done. I spent most of last night after work with a copy of the parts list in one hand and my daughter and wife helping me find parts. I've gotten through 2 pages so far and have about 3/4 of the parts on those. I'm planning on hitting the lego store about 1/2 hour from here later this week if I can figure out what I'm missing.

I'm going for a skull leader robotech pattern, white base, with black and yellow accents. I even found some smooth tiles with skulls and crossbones on them lol. I'll take pictures of the build as I go. Planning on keeping it on my desk where I play MWO!

I though about the steadiness. I'm going to try to reduce some of the weight in the torso as I build it. Haven't had much chance to scrutinize the plans yet but it seemed like there might be some spots to trim. Was also going to extend the R arm AC housing as I usually run an AL with a PPC there instead.

When I get to the arm joints I may ask you how to accomplish what you are talking about above, I haven't done much with legos for years and I'm not sure my creative brain is up to the challenge but I'll give it a whirl.

#37 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

sounds good. The modification should prove to be simple.

#38 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

It took a bit but I have a nice energy weapon looking muzzle. Mostly white now with black and yellow accents. Kept the gray for the most part for the joints. Took about 4 hours this morning when I was supposed to be working at home and inventoried my entire lego collection. I'm about 300 parts shy (mostly the roof tiles and smooth tile pieces, some of the joint stuff.) I'm heading to the lego store on Friday to see about color matching to make sure everything looks good, pick up some parts. Some will need to come from bricklink though. I'm guessing with shipping etc. I won't be able to actually build for a couple weeks yet.The parts I do have nearly fill a gallon ziploc bag.

#39 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

I've started on a hunchback cockpit with legos around the house just for giggles and its not easy. I need approximately 1000 $ worth of Legos to (maybe) make it worthwhile. Stupid hobbies. Nice work btw.

#40 Dennis de Koning

Art Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 118 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

You guys are nuts!

I love it!!!

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users