111 replies to this topic

#61 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

I think the arms look a bit small - the PPCs (I think they are PPCs?) seem drastically smaller than any other PPCs in the game.

#62 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostKhanahar, on 14 May 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

1. They made the gun mounts modular, like the JM6. Which is awesome.

2. It's not an ortho. That's perspective you're seeing.

Yup - it looks fine to me. Mini Jager. I'll of course name mine mini-me.

#63 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

really? complain much? troll? jeez...

#64 s5134195

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDartmouth, Nova Scotia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hey Tennex,

In a forum full of people passionately offering opinions about weapon balance and gameplay, it's nice to meet another person as critical of art assets as I am. I would STRONGLY recommend messaging Dennis de Koning with your concerns. He's a great guy, and very open to critical feedback and suggestions. If you choose to do so, would you also mind asking him why the Blackjack appears as cellshaded as a Borderlands model?

All the best.

Edited by s5134195, 15 May 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#65 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

View Posts5134195, on 15 May 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Hey Tennex,

In a forum full of people passionately offering opinions about weapon balance and gameplay, it's nice to meet another person as critical of art assets as I am. I would STRONGLY recommend messaging Dennis de Koning with your concerns. He's a great guy, and very open to critical feedback and suggestions. If you choose to do so, would you also mind asking him why the Blackjack appears as cellshaded as a Borderlands model?

All the best.

thanks. i'm also very picky when it comes to art. I see what you mean with BJ being cell shaded...

with the new direction they are taking (compared to closed beta/old skins), al of the mechs look cell when white camo is used... and it looks kind of bad to me

i also agree that Dennis is a great guy. And i have recently brought his attention to the "please resize mechs thread"
so i don't want to bother him again haha. seems like that thread paid off with the size of the BJ being as it is.

Edited by Tennex, 15 May 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#66 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

My main gripe right now is only the consistency in the size of the weapons. Its difficult to ascertain how big those AC/2's from a front view, but those PPC's look tiny. They need to normalize weapon sizes to be consistent across all Mechs. For instance, a PPC on a CPLT-K2 and a PPC on an AWS-8Q are pretty close to being the same size. They are quite large and appear that way on both Mechs.

The PPC on the BJ-3 are quite large on that tiny 45-ton frame:

I'll admit, its nitpicky, but its not asking for much just for a simply normalized resize for the weapons, the rest of the model is pretty good.

Posted Image

Edited by General Taskeen, 15 May 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#67 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

View Postsarkun, on 14 May 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Yeah, the off-center weapons wouldn't bother me... IF we didn't have the Jaeger already which does that right. I'm almost sure they'll fix it for release tho.

right. they have set a certain standard of excellence with eveery mech before the blackjack. Why they decided to slip up now i do not know.

#68 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostTennex, on 15 May 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

right. they have set a certain standard of excellence with eveery mech before the blackjack. Why they decided to slip up now i do not know.

To me, it seems there has been more of a rush to get a Mech or two done per month. Perhaps that's why?

#69 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Posted Image

I love the way this mech looks. It has that Urbanmech waist, hey maybe they'll give it a 360 torso twist. The top cockpit portion reminds me of a attack helicopter like an apache or something. It seems very realistic in the sense that out of all the mechs currently in this one seems most likely to exist for real. Its got a simplicity of being a weapons platform on legs. I could see this from waist up being put on towers, chicken walkers, tracks, ect. I like it and I think the devs should be proud of this one.

I hope when they consider a HERO BLACKJACK they consider a missle variant.

My 6MG spider is completely jealous. :(

Posted Image

Edited by Utilyan, 15 May 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#70 SuperJoe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

over all i like how the robot looks, it's cute. Hopefully they'll line up those barrels before release though, that does seem a bit lazy.

#71 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostTennex, on 14 May 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

i can live with that.

but this is what PGI did. its between two components. and situated on the boarder. and it just blows my mind.

Posted Image

No, it`s not. What you have there is an ecample of a barrel in an impossible mounting position between 2 separately movable components.

What PGI has on the Blackjack is a classic example of a "Standard 1A been in use for over a century in 2013 barrel raised off the bottom of the mount due to the action needing the space", with the bottom half covered by a (very likely easily removable) access panel.

What you see as a huge error is an absolutely fine implementation of weapons mounting design that is perfectly in line with actual reality.

And believing otherwise or referencing obviously impossible photoshopswill not change that. :(

And in essence it´s really just an artistic decision either way, because both can be easily explained through the use of real facts, something which really shouldn`t be used to support FICTION anyway. If you want "realistic", MWO is a bit of a stretch to begin with... :)

Edited by Zerberus, 15 May 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#72 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostZerberus, on 15 May 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

No, it`s not. What you have there is an ecample of a barrel in an impossible mounting position between 2 separately movable components.

What PGI has on the Blackjack is a classic example of a "Standard 1A been in use for over a century in 2013 barrel raised off the bottom of the mount due to the action needing the space", with the bottom half covered by a (very likely easily removable) access panel.

What you see as a huge error is an absolutely fine implementation of weapons mounting design that is perfectly in line with actual reality.

And believing otherwise or referencing obviously impossible photoshopswill not change that. :(

and oh my god. whats this?? in the BJ-3 the "access pannel" is completley covered by the PPC? how do you access the access pannel then?!?!

don't pretend like you know what they did/their intentions. I hear a lot of bandaid justifications for a mistake. check page 3 for what actually happened.

Edited by Tennex, 15 May 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#73 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostTennex, on 15 May 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

and oh my god. whats this?? in the BJ-3 the "hatch" is completley covered by the PPC? how do you hatch then?!?!

don't pretend like you know what they did/their intentions. I hear a lot of bandaid justifications for a mistake. check page 3 for what actually happened.

Eh? Different barrel, different action = different mount = different cover? In lore, this is not an omnimech, and swapping weapons takes a long time and not the snap and go version you use here.. Who are you to say that time does not account for replacing the entire lower section?

If you want realism, think realistically... a Tow Missile and a Ma Deuce also look very different when mounte to the same Humvee on the same turret. It`s still the same mounting position on the same vehicle.

BTW: You also PRESUME to know what they were going for, so how exactly is your viewpoint more valid than mine, especially since you`ve not dispalayed a single example to back it up except for an obviously impossible tangential example which has no bearing on the actual issue? Ego trip much? :(

Edited by Zerberus, 15 May 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#74 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostZerberus, on 15 May 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Eh? Different barrel, differnt, action = differnt mount = differnrt cover?

If you want realism, think realistically... a Tow Missile and a Ma Deuce also look very different when mounte to the same Humvee on the same turret.

You also PRESUME to know what they were going for, so how exactly is your viewpoint more valid than mine, especially since you`ve not dispalayed a single example to back it up except for an obnviously impüossibnle tangential example which has no bearin on the actual issue? Ego trip much? :(

no i'm pretty sure thats what happened. using the ortho is just part of game design.

definately not as far fetched as an access hatch. btw if you want access hatch. if you look in the purple component in the figure on page 3. that is what an access hatch looks like

Here is an example from the game itself. since it seems like you can justify this with your logic.

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 15 May 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#75 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostTennex, on 14 May 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Posted Image

LOL
This is the funniest thing I saw today, someone please direct me to what tools and talent I need to do this stuff. I love it.

#76 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 15 May 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

LOL
This is the funniest thing I saw today, someone please direct me to what tools and talent I need to do this stuff. I love it.

lol i used photoshop

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 16 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#77 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostRizzelbizzeg, on 14 May 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Uhhhh... anyone else notice how happythat destroyed mech looks? Maybe the dragon woke him from a very nice dream?

lol how can you tell? i don't even see a face on it

#78 SweetWarmIce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

I fail to see how concept art is a "promise".

#79 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostSweetWarmIce, on 16 May 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

I fail to see how concept art is a "promise".

you also fail to see the main point of the thread

#80 JayVrb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 507 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

At first I thought you were being ridiculous, nit-picky, and "Who cares? I care?" about something that really isn't a big deal....

... then I saw the tank picture and LOL'd. You have earned a like.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users