87 replies to this topic

#21 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostWispsy, on 17 May 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

In one of them you and some of your team where in the enemy base and trying to kill a Cat. You walked in behind him, had an easy shot to finish him off quickly but your heat was high and you held off on the coolshot, so instead of quickly finishing him and moving on to kill the rest quicker he lived longer and took your time as well as got a few extra shots off on your team. Was not a game changing thing this time but it can turn out that way a surprising amount, so I find it better to get used to not hesitating so you do not miss moments when they do make the difference. :ph34r:

I do not see what fight you're talking about, but if it is in the first video with the K2 that the commando and I are fighting on base together is isolated, at least 900m away from the enemy team and both of us walked away from that fight unscathed. If the situation calls for it I'll use my cool shots but like I said I'm frugal and the K2 wasn't worth one of my Cool Shots. I believe later in the video I do use it to get a kill on a highlander, though.

Edited by Cubivorre, 18 May 2013 - 04:13 AM.

#22 Talimar1

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

Hello Everyone! You may remember me from the very first tournament, the Be a Hero Challenge! I played the whole thing in my spider, and got 8th place in the light category at a time when I could be 2 shotted by ravens. I have over 600,000 xp on Spider 5D, though my playstyle with it has changed recently from then. I have not tried the build suggested in the OP, but I have an extremely high risk, high reward build now.

Here it is, the Naked Spider!

2erppcs
0 Armor
1 Jump Jet
ECM
DHS
FF
ES

It is really good both up close and far away, with good enough dodging and hiding skills :) It requires caution at the beginning of a match, but once the fighting starts you can really tear mechs apart. It is also good one on one vs most lights, you just have to know where to aim, and try to get them nice and damaged before they get to you. Stay away from other lights though if you can! Torso twisting is a must though! Spread as much damage as possible to your left arm, but Ideally dont get shot! Use hit and run poptarting to stay in cover. This is an extremely difficult build to get used to, and I still have my bad games every now and then, but it is also extremely fun!

#23 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostTalimar1, on 18 May 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Hello Everyone! You may remember me from the very first tournament, the Be a Hero Challenge! I played the whole thing in my spider, and got 8th place in the light category at a time when I could be 2 shotted by ravens. I have over 600,000 xp on Spider 5D, though my playstyle with it has changed recently from then. I have not tried the build suggested in the OP, but I have an extremely high risk, high reward build now.

2erppcs
0 Armor
1 Jump Jet
ECM
DHS
FF
ES

It is really good both up close and far away, with good enough dodging and hiding skills :) It requires caution at the beginning of a match, but once the fighting starts you can really tear mechs apart. It is also good one on one vs most lights, you just have to know where to aim, and try to get them nice and damaged before they get to you. Stay away from other lights though if you can! Torso twisting is a must though! Spread as much damage as possible to your left arm, but Ideally dont get shot! Use hit and run poptarting to stay in cover. This is an extremely difficult build to get used to, and I still have my bad games every now and then, but it is also extremely fun!

While I appreciate the input on your ERPPC SDR-5D Talimar1, I do not share your enthusiasm for this build for the following reasons:
  • No armor
  • Heat generation
  • Less than 2 JJ which are needed to vault certain objects in the game
  • Makes knife fighting more difficult(especially with other lights)
However, I will try it out. It sounds like it could be fun.

Edited to make post sound less negative and be more constructive for everyone.

Edited by Cubivorre, 18 May 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#24 Talimar1

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

I brought up my Be a Hero challenge experience because I love the Spiders, and that showed my dedication to it. Only one other person in the top 10 in the Light category didn' t run a raven. That was Wispsy, and he ran a Jenner.

There is one rule for running this build:

Don't be stupid in it or you will die.

My build is not for a noob at playing the spider. I myself sometimes suck at piloting it and die quickly. That is because I am still learning all the various intricacies of the build. Even then, I get at least 250 damage. You play it more like the scout in tf2, try not to get shot and you can do a ton of damage.

My build is crazy and takes alot of skill, but the reward is High.

Those are all valid concerns Cubivorre, I will try to address them as best I can.

The lack of armor is a problem at times, but when in doubt, bug out! For heat generation, typically you get 3 shots before shutdown. You also have the option to chain fire, which keeps heat down and actually really helps in the close up knife fights. The one Jump Jet is my least favorite part of the build, but with some inertia opjects can be climbed quickly, it is just a different playstyle. You can still soar through the air, just not as far :) I do miss Jump Jetting through the air EVERYWHERE though. In my build, it is more like hopping and recharging. So, my typical run is try to fire 3 shots into a mech, overheat behind cover, then move locations. This uses the terrain as your armor so it is less important. In one "volley" you can do a whopping 60 Damage! Ideally you are never pinpointed as to your location as well, and that takes some practice.

The goal is to stay from 700-800 meters from the enemy, but often simply staying with the group will allow you to not be targeted.

This build is not for the faint of heart, or someone who wants to keep their Kill Death intact as you will die alot at first. But what you will find as you get better at playing it is that quite often you are still the last person alive on your team, and you can finish off the other team ;) This mech build has the steepest learning curve in the game in my opinion, but the payout is great!

Here is the advantage over other similar mechs.

This build is the only build with 2erppcs. ecm, Jump Jets, and goes 151kph. ppc Cicada has Armor, speed, ecm and weapons but no JJ, ppc jenner has JJ, Armor, weapons but no ecm, ppc raven has Armor, ecm and weapons but no JJ. My build puts you on the same firepower as most of those builds and allows you full arm movement which none of the rest have, very useful for flying through the air with 2 ERPPCS :ph34r: Ultimately, you do have the advantage one on one with any mech, but I would recommend staying away from groups of lights. That is standard on a spider anyway though.

Edited by Talimar1, 18 May 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#25 CaptGensman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 572 posts
  • LocationBielefeld, Germany

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

great mech...
THX
Posted Image

#26 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

The No Armor Spider.

Wow, just found a way to up the Lunatic Bar just bit more!

I can see how doubling the damage is a big draw. I'm just not sure I have the chops yet to pull that one off.

:D

#27 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Probably having no armour is a good exercise anyway, as a lesson in how to use terrain as armour. :)

But I'm more jealous of CaptGensman and his Spider lance! Probably my best game of all time was with a Jenner and a Raven, and the three of us were left alone against 4 assaults. 751 damage later on my part, the Jenner and I were still alive and completely victorious at the end - and that was all just with chat and native empathy between light pilots!

#28 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Here we are ladies and gentlemen, a fitting video to introduce this guide:

#29 MrDrunkenMaster

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Wow Cubivorre, I had no idea this video was going to turn out so perfectly when you were filming us. Perfectly captures what is one of my favourite mechs to play. The feel of soaring through the air, being so fast and so deadly, of travelling as a ravenous pack and using pure skill to defeat a much larger and more heavily armed foe is something I hope the game never loses. Great job on the editing and music !

#30 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:34 AM

awsome video !!! thats whats ridn spiders is all about !

#31 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Damn, Talimar1. Just...damn!

I'm actually going to rename my 5D to this when I get the chance. This is crazy-fun! I'm not completely naked because I'm too much of a wussie, but the exitement of this build is intense!!

#32 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

I love my Spider. Some would say it's an unnatural love. My Spider 5D is my go-to 'mech in just about any situation, although I find that it is in it's glory winning Conquest matches. It's led me to type the phrase "You can't outcap a Spider!" just before the resource counter ticks up to 750.

Cubivorre, your ERPPC/SL build is fantastic, I really like the extra damage that it can dish out (although I do miss packing all 8 jumps on my 3ML build). I might try to reduce the armor somewhat (a la Talimar1) to put the full complement of jumps in, but we'll see how that works out.

#33 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I am going to give the Naked Spider a try. I'll (maybe) let you know how it works out for me.

#34 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Tried it. Didn't work for my particular idiom.

#35 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I still love my Spider 5D... but the 1 second increase in cooldown definitely hurts, especially in a duel with another light.

#36 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

This was my build of choice a few months ago when ECM was dominant and slow brawlers were everywhere, but the metagame shifts have not been kind to our poor little friend. Big mechs with BAP+streaks and the seismic sensor make moving into close range riskier than ever while PPC boats make long range sniping far more dangerous than it once was. As mentioned above the PPC cooldown nerf hurts it a lot as well, us more so than the bigger mechs as they tend to be constrained more by heat.

Future shifts could make the Spider good again, but for now it lacks the punch and the safety to justify a team slot.

#37 Caleb Brightmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 196 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostRavennus, on 26 May 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

I still love my Spider 5D... but the 1 second increase in cooldown definitely hurts, especially in a duel with another light.

I agree but I still love it and I wont switch until it is completely useless and then I will buy a 5K and MG up just for laughs lol

However if I had heavier weapons I don't know if the SDR would be so "rear clenching" to play.

I am kind of a fan of the way the mech was designed and I kind of like the fact that you can't possibly boat more than MG's and only on one model.

I do have to change things up now though with that cool down it is going to give the assaults extra time to strike now because my shots will come even slower than they were restricted to earlier.

Perhaps back to 3ml?

IDK but whatever it is I promise it will be fun at least.

Effective is another story but always fun lol ;)

That naked SDR is interesting but to be honest if I have to 2x ERPPC I would rather DRG it than SDR it at least there I can take a hit and have 2x ML as back-up.

NOTE: (I make the above comment as an assumption because of how I play so it is purely speculative)

That said I have not tried to fight with a naked SDR ever so I shall try the fun and then give an opinion as to what I think but it is balzy as hell.

Well played Well played! :rolleyes:

My SDR-5D ECM, Full armor, 1x ERPPC, XL245 145.9kph tweaked, 4 JJs, modules varry

Not the best but the simplest ranged SDR-5D which when you are learning to use these is always wise lol

Excellent Post OP!

Edited by Caleb Brightmore, 28 May 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#38 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

2erppcs
0 Armor
1 Jump Jet
ECM
DHS
FF
ES

It is really good both up close and far away, with good enough dodging and hiding skills :rolleyes: It requires caution at the beginning of a match, but once the fighting starts you can really tear mechs apart. It is also good one on one vs most lights, you just have to know where to aim, and try to get them nice and damaged before they get to you. Stay away from other lights though if you can! Torso twisting is a must though! Spread as much damage as possible to your left arm, but Ideally dont get shot! Use hit and run poptarting to stay in cover. This is an extremely difficult build to get used to, and I still have my bad games every now and then, but it is also extremely fun!

I still prefer my Spider 5K with a Gauss and a ML which is how I got all the XP to master it. Screw the 1ERLL build that most people use to grind, may as well be creative ;)

As for ERPPCs on lights, I mastered my Jenners with these builds, though that was back when you only needed one JJ to soar.

#39 P e n u m b r a

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 273 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

spider is horrible

#40 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando