#41 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostSniperCzar, on 28 May 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I still prefer my Spider 5K with a Gauss and a ML which is how I got all the XP to master it. Screw the 1ERLL build that most people use to grind, may as well be creative ;)

Yikes! The Naked Urbie!

#42 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostSniperCzar, on 28 May 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I still prefer my Spider 5K with a Gauss and a ML which is how I got all the XP to master it. Screw the 1ERLL build that most people use to grind, may as well be creative ;)

As for ERPPCs on lights, I mastered my Jenners with these builds, though that was back when you only needed one JJ to soar.

Holy Hell! LMAO! That is awesome!

#43 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I can still make the ERPPC Spider fly well; but the added cool down time does hurt. The half second doesn't seem like it would make that big a deal; but it just seems to slow me down. I had my rhythm down with the old PPC.

The other two big changes are TAG and (more scary) Seismic.

A LOT more guys are mounting TAG lasers since the LRM change. And, maybe my ELO has gone up or something, but I'm running into more opponents are willing and able to unload their LRMs at me. Which is something of a new experience.

Seismic, though, makes stalking the edges of the battle a lot harder. Especially on the smaller maps. Use to be, my superb ninja skills counted for something; now, not so much. Sure, I still run into the teams that I can slip right through for whatever reason. More often, they pick me up quick and I end up with 6 to 8 mechs focusing down on me quick. Remember those TAGs?

I'm running Advanced Seismic myself, and it helps. For us little mech drivers, though, I think it hurts us more than it can possibly help us. We have to take advantage of an opponents lack of situational awareness. Or time our attacks for when they are distracted. Seismic gives everyone excellent awareness.

#44 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Don't worry guys, I will definitely be updating this guide soon, I'm just testing out changes and such still! ^^

#45 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostKommisar, on 29 May 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Seismic, though, makes stalking the edges of the battle a lot harder. Especially on the smaller maps. Use to be, my superb ninja skills counted for something; now, not so much. Sure, I still run into the teams that I can slip right through for whatever reason. More often, they pick me up quick and I end up with 6 to 8 mechs focusing down on me quick. Remember those TAGs?

So far I haven't had to worry about Seismic at all. But, with that said, I tend to stay farther out from the enemy formations than 200m, which I believe is the Seismic sensor range. Between that and the updates to the Beagle that make it offset ECM, I have zero interest in going close to a major enemy formation. I am very, very happy sitting at 750m in their rear quarter, spotting with TAG. I'll let loose a ERPPC shot here and there, too, once the LRM's start to hit my target. With all the LRM damage being done, the enemy mech tends not to notice the ERPPC hits.

This morning a CAT I was TAG'ing got hammered by my team, realized I was there, turned around to face me. The problem? He had no CT armor or internals left from all the LRMs he'd been hit with. One shot to his CT, one kill from the ERPPC. It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. :P

#46 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

The advanced seismic module goes out to 400 meters.

And the smart guys are loading up on them and spreading out a bit to increase coverage. On Alpine and Tourmaline, it's not such a big deal. Canyon, Frozen City, Forest Colony, River City... it can be huge. Yesterday, I was in my Jager with the Advanced Seismic and picked up a 4 man ECM covered light team running the trench on Frozen City. Right around 350 meters. I called them out, my team reacted, and they got slaughtered down there.

I can still get around; it's just a much more dangerous world out there.

#47 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

Always mount an advanced seismic on Spiders. If you detect the enemy, notice which way they are moving. If they start moving toward your position, get out of there and look for another target. If not, then you probably haven't been detected. It's actually kind of nice on the 5D because it can give you further warning about not only where the enemy is, but how many there are, which way they are moving and how fast.

#48 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostKommisar, on 30 May 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

I can still get around; it's just a much more dangerous world out there.

Yeah, no doubt. In a PUG game this morning on Alpine myself and another 5D pilot got into a tussle with a trio of Jenners. They were too maxed out to run from and I couldn't leave the other guy behind (they jumped him first). The ERPPC is nice and all, but in a flat out brawl the heat just catches up with you. Needless to say, that one didn't go too well. :)

As for seismic and everything, I don't have a ton of $ to spend. In fact, to this date, I haven't spent a penny on MWO. So it's hard to max out and get the latest, greatest, shiny toys like some others do. That's OK. It's just a game, after all. :(

#49 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I haven't spent a lot of money on this game, other than mech bays, premium time an X-5, and purple paint. I will not spend money on anything I need to keep spending money on, like consumables. Yes the seismic sensor is expensive, but once you have one you can swap it out between whatever mech you're running. Also, once you have the gxp, advanced seismic automatically upgrades the regular seismic sensor. No money spent, it's just a grind.

#50 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Exactly. I had the GXP and the 6 million in CBills. If you do, you can't go wrong with the Seismic Sensor. Well, at least until they change it. No idea how long that will take them, however. So, enjoy while you can.

Overall, I still stand by my assessment. The Seismic Sensors hurt us light pilots more than it helps us.

#51 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

My favorite Spider build right now is 3 ML, maxed out speed, ECM, BAP (now I don't have to use my ECM to jam) and plenty of JJs'. I never overheat as I fill in the rest with DHS. Of course Endo-steel ,etc is on there too. If I have missile boats in my group I will switch out one ML to a TAG. I do like this ERPPC build very much though, I will probably try it for variety. With my ML's I tend to find a straggler and circle-strafe him to death. Sometimes I feel like demonstrating the full awesomeness of the Spider though...best match was 4 kills, 4 assists, and 594 damage. I think playing with a group this ERPPC variant could be great, I tend to get up high and spot in those matches. Would be nice to be able to also drop some damage from distance too.

#52 Idlebot

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMoorpark

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

So I've been running around in my 5D with 3X Med Lasers. Its been fun, but not as fun as this build ERPPC and two small lasers.
hehe so much fun.
Thanks for the tip.

#53 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

I just had a match on Valleys, and it was obvious how powerful seismic is. Normally if I had engaged a mech in an unfavourable situation I would use my speed to get into cover and lose the enemy until I could re-engage later. I use seismic because it's so powerful, so I could also see that no matter where I ran, that quick Treb who was chasing me always knew exactly where I was, and even at 151kph I wasn't quick enough to get away. I only escaped because my team had steamrollered the other team.

#54 Talimar1

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

So, with the JJ changes the spider is now broken. I had an erppc shot fire to the far right of both crosshairs as if I had aimed my arm all the way to the right because of the random offset. Erppc spiders are therefore no longer reliable to shoot at enemies, and with the number of shots that have to be fired to do any kind of damage, that offset really kills it. I've been piloting an Erppc build with 2 medium lasers recently, and I can really see the completely random weapon offset that they have produced. I think it has something to do with the arms having such a wide range of motion. This is my favorite mech and one I play nearly all the time, and even I am no longer recommending the spider to people even for fun. The spider was barely hanging on by a thread before, and with the erppc change as well as the JJ changes, they have killed it.

Let that say what it says.

#55 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

i cant agree with that Statement because snce everybody has Seismik on board the abbillyty to strike from faraway is paramount

#56 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

3x Med pulse
cap accelerator
advanced seismic
advanced sensor range
255xl

#57 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

So recently most of my matches (all pugging) have been purely with heavies and assaults, to the point where sometimes a Catapult is the next lightest mech in the field after my ER-PPC/2SLer Spider. This generally means I don't have to worry about other lights or mediums, and can plug away the whole match to get pretty good scores.

Still, this was even funnier:
Posted Image

I think maybe 2 of those kills were on mechs already damaged by others, but at the end of the brawl there was me alone against an Atlas, Highlander and Awesome. I had already ripped the Highlander to shreds, and finished him of easily at range, and then ducked behind the Atlas which I had previously stripped of RCT armour to take him down too.
The Awesome had been full armour though, and I had to whittle him down while he was sitting on our cap and plugging away at me with LLers. He was pretty pissed off about it, but that's what he got for not backing up against the cap point or the nearby cliffs.

More funny was the Blackjack I killed. He was on red CT internals, so I charged him straight ahead, and when I saw his torso move to line up a shot I landed a PPC bolt on him just before he fired himself - and then jumped through his death smoke while the mech was still collapsing. I really love it when I can be so confident about the timing I can show off. :)

#58 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Dang it, you made me buy a Spider!

#59 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

my team allways tells me to shut the f up about my spider .... BUT I CANT ( its so tiny, but still so AWSOME )

#60 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Wow, glad to see so many people getting into spiders, I keep getting contacted about how much people love their little webslingers after reading the guide!

Go now my arachnid friends - vanquish thy foes with extreme prejudice! Remember, the bigger the battlemech, the harder it falls!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users