Ask The Devs 38 - Answered!

124 replies to this topic

#121 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Okay, question:
How, exactly, is having the same, generic, get-everything, skill tree for every chassis, and no pilot skill tree whatsoever, more choice than having unique mech trees with branching choices, other than the order in which you get them, and a global pilot skill tree?

Okay, you like your awful system, and you don't feel like spending the effort to make it more interesting/fun. (And I'm sure someone is spending money on converting XP, so you don't want to do away with one of your methods of gouging.)

Don't lie about it, though. The old, proposed system sounded great (though likely would still be the same level of paying for an advantage out of the gate), and there is no way that it would have fewer choices for the player than the current system.

The current choices: What do I want to unlock first, and do I want to give PGI money so that I don't have to put up with the torture of playing a green mech?

That's it. The current system has exactly two choices to make, and one of them is whether or not to pay money to not have to bother with the other choice.

Whether blatant lies, or delusion, I'm sure most of us would prefer you just admit that you like a system that puts players at a disadvantage unless they pay you real money, or grind out experience so they can make their mech not suck.

#122 Aaziz

• Pip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hello Piranha!

There is BIG instability problem, discussed at:
http://mwomercs.com/...k/page__st__180

- something with net protocol after last path (no problem at Testgrounds, but lot of people catching CONSTANT disconnects and their posts usally containing this:

[color=#959595]CGameRules::OnDisconnect: Client has disconnected: cause=eDC_ProtocolError, desc=Remote disconnected: Malformed packet (1486)[/color]

No even sign of answer, at least "we know about it", so I posting here.

Thanks in advance for any reaction.

#123 Kesla

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostArchwright, on 17 May 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Re: Elo and new 'mechs
I see your point, I really do. I kitted out my 4SP (my 3rd Hunchback) before I launched it into a single match, and that worked decently well for me. However, when I tried the same thing for my 1st Spider, I got my backside handed to me. That's because it was a whole new chassis, not just a variant. I felt like I was being punished for branching out. By the time I picked up my 2nd Spider, it was less of an issue, but basicing out my 1st Spider was a chore.

What I'm saying is, the system seems an awful lot like a penalty for purchasing wholly new 'mech chassis. Isn't that exactly the opposite of what you want?

If you were a real pilot, and were a hunchback expert and jumped into a spider mech you WOULD have trouble... you would be clumsy and not an ideal pilot. This is fairly realistic IMO.

#124 Kesla

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 21 May 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Almost nobody reads neither Manuals nor Forums - People expect a good, intuitive first time experience and if this is not delivered they go away to never come back.
Also the current Meta is the least fun of all Metas that occured throughout the beta phases i participated in and it must even be worse in a Trial that has Low Speed, Low Armor, Low Heat Dissipation, Low Alpha Weaponry.

Nobody likes to be a "Helpless Victim"!

The problem is people loved playing MW games 1 - 4, and they could play the scenarios where they take 1 mech and blow up 4 to 10 enemy mechs no sweat... This is a game against other people though, it is different. The opponents have brains, not programming (especially not programming designed to make 1 on 10 survivable). Like another poster said: learn to shoot and pilot in the training grounds (that's what my wife is doing) and then stick with your team. This is not a solo game. New players may not know how to be a team player right off though, they are used to single player games where you are effectively a superhero... however in MWO it is 8 superheros vs. 8 superheros... so no one is a superhero.

#125 Wiggen

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 21 May 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Almost nobody reads neither Manuals nor Forums - Nobody likes to be a "Helpless Victim"!

So being a new player is like being the red shirted ensign on the away team?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users