332 replies to this topic

#301 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

So far, that UAV can be quite devastating and an excellent scout's tool. A Raven 3-L charged us through the cave. We thought he was suicidal or something. He put off a few shots but nothing major as he rushed right through the thick of us by the tower. Next thing we know despite nothing being around to spot us, there's missiles coming in on everyone. I even went so far as to use the closed beta method to break locks of shutting down and the torrent of missiles never stopped.

One of the team spotted something floating in the air. The Raven deployed a UAV. Apparently it'll let people target you even if you're powered down.

#302 mumaydidi

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'e_TerrainLodRatio' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'e_TerrainTextureLodRatio' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'e_TerrainTextureLodRatio' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'e_TerrainTextureStreamingPoolItemsNum' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'sys_spec_Quality' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'r_ssreflections' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'e_TerrainTextureStreamingPoolItemsNum' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_postprocessing' key 'r_UseEdgeAA' is not missing in default

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I FIX IT, black screen after trying to attempt to load a map

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

#303 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Loving the legging change, it always bugged me that something with only 1 leg could run at all.

#304 karoushi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

View Postmumaydidi, on 22 May 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'e_TerrainLodRatio' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'sys_spec_Quality' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_environment' key 'r_ssreflections' is not missing in default
[Error] Error: ConsoleVariableGroup 'sys_spec_postprocessing' key 'r_UseEdgeAA' is not missing in default

WHAT IS THIS AND HOW DO I FIX IT, black screen after trying to attempt to load a map

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Try using the repair button on the patcher.

Welp, if IGP/PGI is going to ignore the broken LRM splash damage and force us to play a broken game, I'm not going to play or buy MC until they fix it.
No matter how much I want to play the new mech and map there is no point to if you just get n00bed by a broken weapon that a bunch of weak losers are abusing.

This patch would of been absolutely wonderful if they just added that lrm splash damage reduction hotfix, but because of the broken lrms this patch is bust and I'm going to go work on my game where I know I am not intentionally breaking things just to impair my players.

Thanks but no thanks IGP/PGI. I develop as well and I know damn well you could of, or can still add that hotfix anytime and the fact that you won't means you don't care that you are letting your players abuse a broken mechanic to get further ahead in the game and to pad their stats, you don't care that you are forcing your consumers who pay for your product to play a broken product then I don't care about your product and will make my own that won't be intentionally broken.

I Refuse to abuse the broken lrms and anyone who does should be shot and whoever thought it was acceptable to release this patch without the hotfix should be Fired by being dropped into an active volcano.

You've failed me IGP/PGI.

Edited by karoushi, 22 May 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#305 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

Something not making it into the patch to be deployed next patch is no where the same as ignoring it. :D

#306 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostBelorion, on 22 May 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Something not making it into the patch to be deployed next patch is no where the same as ignoring it. :)

QFT

But don`t try to use logic to counter a well planned whine, their screaming is too loud for them to hear anything else, which is why they always believe ultimate infallibility becasue "if I can`t other opinions I must be right" :P

If he develops as well (professionally, on a more than local level) HE KNOWS that patch rollouts cost money, even small hotfixes.

If he has done any significant amout of research (like opening the forum overview, not going directly to the most likely whine thread), he knows they are aware of the problem.

Also @ Research, he would also know that a stats wipe is planned for release in Sep, and that PGI also knows it and therefore could care less about our stats.

Assuming intelligence, he knows NOBODY, ANYWHERE, is being forced to purchase this or any other entertainment product.

He`s just ignoring all of that becasue it would make his whine look entirely ridiculous and fabricated if he acknowledged it. :rolleyes:

#307 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostBelorion, on 22 May 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Something not making it into the patch to be deployed next patch is no where the same as ignoring it. :P

Two weeks is far too long and this kind of screwup only points towards PGI's incompetence at development and testing.

#308 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

The interesting thing is that, if PGI makes being hit by 2 LRM20s (about the same as being hit by two AC/20) dangerous to a mech, people cry that LRMs are overpowered. If they make it so being hit by 2 LRM20s is -not- dangerous, people wonder why the weapon is even in the game. If they make the LRM20 a dangerous weapon, then the mechs that have been put in with lots of tonnage and lots of missile hardpoints (Stalker, anyone?) end up being supremely dangerous because they can have so many of them.

Considering a Catapult with 2 LRM15 is supposed to be a dangerous Heavy mech on the battlefield, it's not surprising that people are being slaughtered when Stalkers with twice that number unload on them. Then they wonder why taking 180 missiles kills them.

The changes the team are looking at in the missile path won't return them to the way they were (since the idea was to allow LRMs to penetrate close cover used by pop-tarting mechs as per playerbase request to do something about a tactical problem instead of the players having to use counter-tactics), but they will help. Nonetheless, people have to learn that LRMs are heavy weapons, and will still negate terrain that would allow for pop-tarting. That part isn't going away.

Best thing I can recommend is wait for the Devs to finish correcting the missile path, expect that it will still allow LRMs to penetrate cover up to the height of a battlemech (since that was the intent of the missile flightpath change), and learn that the way to kill an LRM unit is not to stay at range/ back up from it (yes, I have seen people do this over and over).

As for having to wait two weeks for this to change, I'll remind you that LRM mechs had to wait quite alot longer while direct-fire and brawler mechs had a field day with them, so it's not like this is anything that can't be endured.

My two cents.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 22 May 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#309 Sturmforge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Kinda confused on this indirect fire arc from using a spotter. So if you have 2 LRM launching mechs next to each other and one has target decay. Does the other mech benefit from having a spotter and get the indirect arc, or even just 2 mechs targeting the same mech do they both get the indirect arc as the other is targeting them with TAG if they both have it?

#310 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

To chime in on the LRM 90 degree angle attack.

Take a look at a modern misslie of today such at the Javelin Anti-Armor or MILAN They pop out, then tend to rocket WAY up and then come down like a hammer on the roof of a target. Armor tends to be thinner up top and few modern tanks can take one of these and survive.

So to see LRMs do the sharp turn makes sense. This is 3050+, you think they would have learned to send the the LRM's where they can do the most damage.

#311 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

I thought I'd post here an idea I had about how to balance the seismic sensor a bit, since that range seems quite long.

To further "tune"/balance it, it would make sense that lighter mechs should not be as detectable until they get closer. So perhaps instead of a general lowering of range, it could be made as a percentage of 100 tons to 100% of the 200m/400m range.

For the current 200m/400m scale:

25 ton mech = 50m/100m detectable
50 ton mech = 100m/200m detectable
75 ton mech = 150m/300m detectable
100 ton mech = 200m/400m detectable

#312 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

nah, LRMs still not worth the weight. Have Artie and BAP. I'll just wait for Clan LRMs. Anyone with direct fire blows an LRM fitted mech to bits, even at 800 meters. The need to keep the missile locked for the entire flight, instead of the normal fire and forget LRM, will keep MWO LRMs for boating only.

That's not true. I run 2xERLL, 2x LRM15+Artemis 2x SRM6+Artemis on my AWS-8R. It's super effective. It was super effective before the buff. Boat if you want. But it certainly isn't the only option for using LRMs effectively.

#313 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I find it interesting that in a game with no knockdowns, balance is this hard to obtain...

#314 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostKaemon, on 22 May 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I find it interesting that in a game with no knockdowns, balance is this hard to obtain...

Implying that knockdowns would add anything to the game other than fueling the arm's race of getting as many large mechs as you can on one team.

#315 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 22 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

To chime in on the LRM 90 degree angle attack.

Take a look at a modern misslie of today such at the Javelin Anti-Armor or MILAN They pop out, then tend to rocket WAY up and then come down like a hammer on the roof of a target. Armor tends to be thinner up top and few modern tanks can take one of these and survive.

So to see LRMs do the sharp turn makes sense. This is 3050+, you think they would have learned to send the the LRM's where they can do the most damage.

If this game used modern weapons technology, there would be no battlemechs. You'd have to be an (apparently idi ot is a censored word) unsmart person to waste money on battlemechs. So let's not get too carried away. And remember 3050 computing power is stuck at the level available to your average civillian in 1980. You can only do so much with that kind of processing power.

Edited by DanNashe, 22 May 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#316 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostKaemon, on 22 May 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I think it's because the Dev's concept of balancing isn't to tweek what's already on the scales but to add more weight to one side or the other. They don't want to remove what they put in, so they just end up adding more, which tends to produce another imbalance and encourage them to add still more on the other end again. Instead of balance, they produce a see-saw.

#317 lilslugger

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationThe catwalk of your mechlab making sparks fall

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostVagGR, on 21 May 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

a good patch...

one thing i dont really like though...why punish a already legged mech..its at a serious disadvantage as it is why make it even worse..i mean when you get legged you pretty much dead in few secs, with this change well you just stop playing when u loose the first leg..

i just feel its a rather poor change as it doesnt really balance out anything, it doesnt counter anything, it just makes it worse for a poor guy already in a very bad position...

This was already in place (kind of) before the patch, they just put a cap on the speed. At least they aren't doing it the way of MW2, wherein if your leg was destroyed, it fell off the chassis and you were left immobilized... unless you had JJ's, then you could move.. up and down.

#318 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostDanNashe, on 22 May 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

If this game used modern weapons technology, there would be no battlemechs. You'd have to be an (apparently idi ot is a censored word) unsmart person to waste money on battlemechs. So let's not get too carried away. And remember 3050 computing power is stuck at the level available to your average civillian in 1980. You can only do so much with that kind of processing power.

Actually, if Battlemechs worked as they supposedly did in the original game, they would be very viable weapons (and in fact the US Army has a few prototypes for research). The problem is that the mechs you see in MWO are lumbering tanks on legs, without the neural link of the neurohelmet, and you don't see the advanced jamming equipment that made combat between mechs an affair of under a kilometer, even with weapons that ranged far beyond that.

Without the human-speed reaction abilities, advanced EW equipment, orbital drop capabilities, and general compartmentalized toughness that were part of Battlemechs in the original game, they would be just big targets for other military units. With them, they become a unit truly worth deploying in the right situations.

And, I am sorry, but neurohelmets, advanced gyro balancing systems, miniature fusion power plants, FTL jump drives, and actuator control systems all require much more advanced computer systems than a TRS-80 ;) .

Edited by Jakob Knight, 22 May 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#319 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostJakob Knight, on 22 May 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Actually, if Battlemechs worked as they supposedly did in the original game, they would be very viable weapons (and in fact the US Army has a few prototypes for research). The problem is that the mechs you see in MWO are lumbering tanks on legs, without the neural link of the neurohelmet, and you don't see the advanced jamming equipment that made combat between mechs an affair of under a kilometer, even with weapons that ranged far beyond that.

Without the human-speed reaction abilities, advanced EW equipment, orbital drop capabilities, and general compartmentalized toughness that were part of Battlemechs in the original game, they would be just big targets for other military units. With them, they become a unit truly worth deploying in the right situations.

And, I am sorry, but neurohelmets, advanced gyro balancing systems, miniature fusion power plants, FTL jump drives, and actuator control systems all require much more advanced computer systems than a TRS-80 ;) .

You need to brush up on the lore. The reason for a lack of computing power and that battles are short range affairs is because much of the tech was lost during the wars that led to the Succession Wars. Targeting systems are now inferior and many of the mechs are actually decades if not centuries old. Not the designs, the actual mechs themselves are passed down from generation to generation because not many new ones are being made. Certainly no real design advancements are made until the clans come back and show off their stuff.

#320 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostAcid Phase, on 21 May 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

The problem is too much freedom of customization. I keep saying that the apparent fix to boating where it shouldn't be boating is hardpoint restrictions. Fixes outrageous builds and fixes boating. Those who are meant to boat will boat as they should, but other ridiculous builds will be kept from doing so.

Ridiculous builds? Like what? Seriously I don't see a problem with a Mechwarrior, who has earned the cash, to tweak a mech as they are able to do. Everyone specializes their machines, if they have the cash to do it, hence special mechs, that have made mech history. Like the Yen Lo Wang, or Heavy Metal.

What needs to be addressed is heat. Damage caused by heat, possible death caused by heat, engine damage, destroying weapons.... Something. The fix shouldn't be... Well if you fire 1 medium laser you get normal heat, if you fire 2 medium lasers you get normal heat for firing 2 weapons, but if you fire THREE, you get above and beyond average heat, 4... 5 ... 6? Now comes the prison bathroom scene... Screw the prison bathroom scene, Go to damage, there is no reason not to. If you vastly exceed your heat threshold start taking real penalties... Something that you are gonna feel, something that you should feel.. no I am not talking about the prison scene anymore... :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users