61 replies to this topic

#41 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

It is a great map with a really good layout and flow to it. If only this much care was given in creating Alpine Peaks.

#42 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Having played it a couple times now, I do wish it was a bit bigger. Overall I like it though.

#43 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 616 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostRamien, on 22 May 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

First time I was on the map, we ended with no shots fired - somehow everyone managed to walk right by the other side and end up at the enemy base.

BAP is your friend. And seismic module if you want to get crazy.

#44 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Didn't get to see much of this map as the other team had 6 LRM boats to our 1. Looked pretty for what I saw. Of course it doesn't really matter as I still get Alpine and Tourmaline about 3 times as much as any other single map.

#45 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I can't tell if its my joy at finally being able to use missiles again (albeit in a somewhat weak state ATM) or the joy of not being forced onto Alpinemaline games all the time, but I really really like Canyon.

#46 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostSephlock, on 23 May 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

I can't tell if its my joy at finally being able to use missiles again (albeit in a somewhat weak state ATM) or the joy of not being forced onto Alpinemaline games all the time, but I really really like Canyon.

Weak!!! Those damn things have turned into tactical nukes!!! I used to get worried when seeing some heading my way, but now i scramble for cover!

#47 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

I love the map, it is very detailed and not flat at all which actually gives the game a vast variety of outcomes, not like alpine where most of the time you know that they will be all in i9, h8.

I hope they tweak the rest of the maps a little like this one or implement more maps with so many good details

#48 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Great map. However,....

It will be even better when the base has defenses that can hold out until the team can get back to repel invaders. That or when there is a TDM mode.

#49 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Some screenshots of Canyon posted up on my blog i have just recently started up. Absolutely love this map!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Can we delete alpine for more canyon?

#51 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

I have to agree that Alpine is the worst map in the game right now. Tourmaline and now Canyons just make it more obvious.

#52 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 616 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostFooooo, on 23 May 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'd agree with the scale sentiment.

It does feel a little down-scaled somewhat.

I think slightly enlarging some of the bits of the terrain may fix that, or just enlarging the whole map a little. However doing this in the sandbox means you cant increase it by half or quarter afaik.

So a 2048x2048 terrain mapped at 2m a pixel, the only amount larger they can go is either 4096x4096x2m, or 2048x2048x3m, which means a scale up larger than I would think is needed.

Other then that, its one of the best detailed maps so far imo. This and the (old version) of forest colony seem to be the best looking ones. Tourmaline is also quite nice imo even tho its a desert.

Maybe the devs can set up a couple of NPC Galleon light tanks to go zooming through at random to give a sense of scale...

#53 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

+1 to the map. I am really enjoying it with or without jump jets.

A few NGNGs ago someone from PGI mentioned that they based it off their favorite Battlefield 1942 map.

I have been trying to figure it out and my best guess from my old memories of a 11 year old game would have to be the Gazala Line: http://battlefield.w...com/wiki/Gazala I really want to see El Alamein remade into a MWO map (just put some wind turbines on the central mountain range and you are set).

One thing, messin about canyons in the testing ground, I jumped up out of the canyon bowl by the trash area. What I saw made me wish we had a map like that. Mostly flat open dry desert with low rolling hills/dunes. From a distance, they seem small and insignificant.. But up close these dunes are big enough to hide a mech. Tourmaline is great, don't get me wrong. I was hoping we would get a more standard rolling sand dunes type of desert map before the exotic one.

#54 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostNRP, on 28 May 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

I have to agree that Alpine is the worst map in the game right now. Tourmaline and now Canyons just make it more obvious.

I 100% Agree

Sorry to the designer(s) of Alpine, but that map is an abomination. Terrible balance and flow. I really hope that map sees a MAJOR rework soon.

#55 KAOS 1

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

There is a big problem with passing under the brigde there are rocks on the path and i have seen many ppl get perma stucked as well as me few times with atlas passing trough. There is no way to unstuck . The elevation of rocks needs to be tad lower.

#56 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

the problem with canyons is that the map design looks very much like an artificial biome of an arena. if you climb up the map's border you'll only see wide open empty space where you would expect to see more canyons and details to give you a sense of depth and realism.

Posted Image
Posted Image

caustic valley also suffers the same "artificial feel" problem. once you go beyond the edges of the map you see nothing. its kinda like youre inside a hollywood studio instead of being on a real environment.

#57 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I think its just a case of needing the 2D artists to be more creative in their backdrop paintings that are hung on the edge of the worldmap.

#58 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 30 May 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

I think its just a case of needing the 2D artists to be more creative in their backdrop paintings that are hung on the edge of the worldmap.

What they should have done is a create a properly built large map (the size of alpine) then put on boundaries around the map to limit its size. Right now when you look beyond the boundaries on canyon (and other maps too) it feels unfinished. Has this ever been brought up? Maybe I should post this question on Ask the Devs.

#59 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 21 May 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

Its a good map, you need jumpjets though.

Also, my only point of critique: Some of the "grasses", eh "plants that look like grass patches" would be what, 3 Meters high? Kinda breaks the "im in a 15 meter Mech" disbelief, but the map otherwise is neat!

How do you know how tall alien grass should be :(?

#60 Middcore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Canyon is already my favorite map by far.

Unfortunately, for every match I get on Canyon, I get 4-5 on Tourmaline (meh, tolerable) or Alpine (ghastly, just horrific).

I am still not entirely convinced that Tourmaline and Alpine got taken off heavy rotation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users