507 replies to this topic

#221 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

My disconnects combined with this missile insanity has finally made me want to go play some other games. I believe you should move this missile problem to priority one on your list and hot fix immediately as you did last time. A June update is gonna be painful to wait on. On a positive note, thanks for the detailed explanation.

#222 Garrath

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

I've played a bunch of matches last night and I'd have to say there's a lot of overreaction here. As a missile boat I've had a lot of volleys miss due to intelligent use of cover etc. The thing is, you can no longer hide behind cover that doesn't go over your mech's head, go figure.

As non LRM mechs, missiles were no more of an issue than pop tarts or anything else, but they can no longer be ignored, if you go in the open and let them tag/los you...guess what, it hurts like it's supposed to.

One thing i've noticed however, is that scouts/lights are contributing a LOT more to the game dynamic. A scout flanks and tags, the enemy team FEELS it. It's like at least some aspect of role warfare is finding it's way back into this game finally.

A very positive step by PGI.

Edited by Garrath, 22 May 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#223 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I noticed last night during game play something that got me wondering. I had a few friendly mechs outside my ecm bubble and they had missiles incoming, I managed to get them inside the bubble before the missiles made the turn down and they still hit target. Now my question is, shouldn't my ecm bubble have broken the missiles lock on target and made the missiles continue on without hitting?

#224 FruitFly

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

So we can all agree that any player who spams one type of weapon over and over wheather its PPC's SRM's Streaks AC 20's or LRMs is something that takes away from the game, makes it cheesy and annoying. that being said why would the game mechanics be changed to reward such players? the PPC craze was brought about by poptarts, limited engagment times meant you had to put all youe eggs into one basket. AC 20 rage brought on by an increase of mech with the ability to mount 2 of those beasts, Streaks are just broke. (100% hit unless fired into a building and always hit CT with same damage as normal srms) BUT LRMS in my opinion are some of the chessiest, little to no risk to use them, (sit behind hill shooting at red boxes) at least with ppc's the shooter had to expose himeself. and with the high arc it makes Most cover on the map useless, and the speed increase makes them harder to dodge. if we want a balcance game that rewards skill and pilot builds over playing the meta, why not seek balance? why not make smaller changes increase the lrm speed in one patch see if that helps if it needs more tweaking then change the damage in the nextpatch and see where that puts us, with a 3 fold increse to lrm and an additional counter to ECM, we traded PPC online, for LRM online.

#225 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

The faster missiles are great, because they let you hit people who stray from cover. The arc is bad because it makes 90 percent of the cover in the useless. The damage would be Fine if every map had abundant cover again, which it will with an arc fix. I think it was a mistake to try to change the arc at the same time as other changes. I feel it should have been obvious how much of a game changer arc is. I think faster missiles combined with most hills being viable cover if you're right up against them is the gameplay sweetspot. Move to engage my brawlers and die, or tkae cover and pick your moment to counter attack. A true indirect fire weapon that gets around cover is just too powerful when teams can coordinate 240 missile barrages on a target if cover is too weam odd a defense.

I have not tried srms yet. I've heard mixed things about the spread. In any event, I don't think they Can be balanced until missile hsr, so I won't complain about the lack of premature srm buffs :-).

The ppc changes were good because now they do the same dps as the other 7 ton energy weapon. Also, 4 seconds lines up perfectly with the gauss rifle, which makes the nerf non annoying. Ppcs generate so much heat that it doesn't hurt too much. All in all a good conservative balance change.

Ac 5: definite improvement. Probably not enough, but its significant, and I like being a little conservative. It gave them both a stronger niche and boosted dps.

I admit I am frustrated by splash damage not working as intended. I bet pgi is too. I still like the idea, but the code strategy appears to have turned into a nightmare. Missiles are truly unfixable until this is at least working as intended.

#226 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm really afraid they'll hotfix this by making missiles unusable for weeks AGAIN. Unless it's a really moderate change, don't hotfix FFS.

I played last night for a while, and yeah, it's missiles gone berzerk. I tried to level up my BJs, so everyone **** about me being a noskill LRMer. But even with that, the most annoying opponents were the few still piloting those 6PPC instantkill-stalkers. I don't want to end up back there.

#227 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 22 May 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I noticed last night during game play something that got me wondering. I had a few friendly mechs outside my ecm bubble and they had missiles incoming, I managed to get them inside the bubble before the missiles made the turn down and they still hit target. Now my question is, shouldn't my ecm bubble have broken the missiles lock on target and made the missiles continue on without hitting?

It depends if they had TAG on them, or if there was an enemy with BAP nearby you.

#228 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Most ppl forget that you need actually have a lock on to hit with LRM u have not a lock on with certain criterias
mostly if you get behind cover out of the enemys LOS
hmm sneaky PGI buffed scouts that way :P
now you can sureley drive a scout and be usefull for your team and beeing in a assault making you a drag
deal with it

on a sidenote yes the arc is a bit steep but i noticed for me it only happened if iam above the enemy

Edited by Inkarnus, 22 May 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#229 Shadow X

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

SRM ninja nerf :P

#230 merz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 21 May 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

when you said something like 'we're going to ruin your game with missiles tomorrow', i didn't realise quite how prophetic those words were. still, the trolling in this thread is pretty hilarious. should be clear to all that the current state of things is not intended and will be remedied in the near future, likely via a hotfix as the game is largely unplayable right now if you're not running a missile boat. anyone not cleaning house with something like 50 lrms is doing it wrong. overall, i'm still a bit unclear on the lrm damage boost - though they had somewhat fallen out of the meta after the last, competent people continued using them to great effect, often as a support weapon for indirect/suppression. the trajectory changes could be interesting, though i'd have to see the version deemed 'working as intended' before commenting.

as to people asking 'how the ffffff did pgi go live with this patch?', i think they have a very regimented production schedule with content lock that goes in way before release and their QA is surely outsourced/remedial at this time. still, going live with something so clearly broken that you have to pre-empt it with promises of a hotfix in the patch notes es no bueno, particularly when it results in many top-level competitive players saying they're going on a break until it is fixed. how many of those might find something new to play in the meantime?

other than that, some of the other changes are nice. the new map is certainly a good addition and the blackjack seems to have some potential that will have to be discovered once the rains of LRM subside..

PS. guys who are saying LRM flight paths are fine: Drop with a friend on opposite side. Ask them to to fraps. Fire a volley at them behind cover, lose lock and re-acquire when missiles are somewhat near their former location. Enjoy the total WTF or LRMs flying upwards through the ground and turning at right angles to core them out from behind for omgwtfbbq damage (none of which registers in final score because splash is now set to not count in the tally..)

Edited by merz, 22 May 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#231 MeatForBrains

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostAn Ax Murderer, on 22 May 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

With regards to SRM's...

I saw on the patch notes that the flight patterns were changed for the SRM's, specifically ones equipped with Artemis. It said that the grouping would be 67% tighter for Artemis, and 75% for Tag and NARC.

My question: Do Tag and NARC affect the grouping of SRM's like they do with LRM's?

Edit: Duplicated the post in the text

I will have to test that! If Tag helps SRMS then it would be very easy to do, very complimentary to shooting srm.

#232 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostChameleon Silk, on 21 May 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

if you have played a match against a team that is actually boating LRMs you'd realize that with target decay, tag and artemis escape is not an option, they out right said that splash is borked and you still have people comming on and saying LRMs are ok like this, to me these people are worse then anyone who claims something is OP cause they have absolutley no understanding of the game whatsoever...

^^THIS. I don't believe that they have no understanding of the game, it's that they are so narcissistic that they only care about what benefits them. I say this as a driver of LRM platforms as well...sure this current meta benefits me...but I care more about fair play and the state of the game to pretend that it is OK. Others...evidently not so much.

#233 Aemon Chichi

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

well due to the state of the game in the last months - like an UI that eats more performance than the actual game itself and all the other issues everyone experienced nearly all of my dedicated mechwarrior friends left them game, in fact only 2 remained to yesterday and when we did our long awaited matches in the evening ...

well lets put it this way you lost three players and after your amateur statement that you KNEW of the fails you produced but pushed out anyway we decided not to return, cause dev-kiddos - what you say doesnt matter one tiny bit, what you DO matters , and you did horribly

its sad but well i hope u keep enough fanbois that dont care to get your salary till some other company takes u but please dont apply to other companies in the gaming industry, you did enough harm

honestly, did u really expect all of your playerbase to stay after you told em in the face that you knew this would happen but didnt give a fork ?

[insert swear word at your own discretion] you !

#234 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

The first Mech I ever used was an LRM Mech. I was not really sure what it did but I soon found out in 3025. The missiles in MWO work the same as they were supposed to in 3025. But their was one problem. The program then could not just do the correct arch unless it went through a building or rock. They admitted that they had no way around it at the time. With the super programing of today after over a year someone figured how they should work. But, for everything you get their is also a price to pay. In a 12 vs. 12 game imagine the sky black with missiles. That is what is going to happen. Are their counters to this yes a number but when you back out of your drive way you don't go from 10 kph. and decide that 100 should be better. I have not yet figured how a group of game builders do not have the sense of the common dog. Sorry Dogs. Right now the LRM is what it was meant to be except why turn up it's power to the point that a medium can be not destroyed in one volley. Don't get me wrong, I love LRM'S and the last Mech I ever use will be a LRM boat. But for the love of Vancouver and this game wake up. Maybe turn the hitting power down some but don't change the arc the way it is now. It also might be a good idea to put more caves in maps so some Mech do survive. If you love this game so much then why are you so bent on killing it? Ya, show us a P and L I know you are raking in the whatever it is in Canada or the Cayman islands. The longer the game makes money the more rich you become, wow what a thought.

#235 Jojobird

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I think both fixes are spot on. Let's hope we get them asap.

#236 Valrin

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I think this is a phenomenal change. I had more fun playing last night than I had in months. I love the flight path, speed, and general feel of the LRMs. While this is not my preferred play-style I think this is a very positive change for gameplay in general and look forward to changes to SRMs in June.

#237 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

The first Mech I ever used was an LRM Mech. I was not really sure what it did but I soon found out in 3025. The missiles in MWO work the same as they were supposed to in 3025. But their was one problem. The program then could not just do the correct arch unless it went through a building or rock. They admitted that they had no way around it at the time. With the super programing of today after over a year someone figured how they should work. But, for everything you get their is also a price to pay. In a 12 vs. 12 game imagine the sky black with missiles. That is what is going to happen. Are their counters to this yes a number but when you back out of your drive way you don't go from 10 kph. and decide that 100 should be better. I have not yet figured how a group of game builders do not have the sense of the common dog. Sorry Dogs. Right now the LRM is what it was meant to be except why turn up it's power to the point that a medium can be not destroyed in one volley. Don't get me wrong, I love LRM'S and the last Mech I ever use will be a LRM boat. But for the love of Vancouver and this game wake up. Maybe turn the hitting power down some but don't change the arc the way it is now. It also might be a good idea to put more caves in maps so some Mech do survive. If you love this game so much then why are you so bent on killing it? Ya, show us a P and L I know you are raking in the whatever it is in Canada or the Cayman islands. The longer the game makes money the more rich you become, wow what a thought.

#238 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostGarrath, on 22 May 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

I've played a bunch of matches last night and I'd have to say there's a lot of overreaction here. As a missile boat I've had a lot of volleys miss due to intelligent use of cover etc. The thing is, you can no longer hide behind cover that doesn't go over your mech's head, go figure.

As non LRM mechs, missiles were no more of an issue than pop tarts or anything else, but they can no longer be ignored, if you go in the open and let them tag/los you...guess what, it hurts like it's supposed to.

One thing i've noticed however, is that scouts/lights are contributing a LOT more to the game dynamic. A scout flanks and tags, the enemy team FEELS it. It's like at least some aspect of role warfare is finding it's way back into this game finally.

A very positive step by PGI.

See the thing is you mentioned that "intelligent use of cover..." while ideal on a majority level.. some how I think that is more of a minority fact..

#239 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

I did great with LRM's before this patch. Why people had such problems I don't know. Agreed they needed a little buff but I dont think they needed easy mode engaged. Won't use my lrm boat until some of the cheese is gone and keep killing them with my mg's which i now love lol

#240 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 22 May 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

It depends if they had TAG on them, or if there was an enemy with BAP nearby you.

Hi,

this is what annoys me more than the missile overbuff.
They also made ECM obsolete with BAP + TAG !

regards

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users