Missile Update - Feedback

507 replies to this topic

#341 Chameleon Silk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

^ THAT, I'm still playing but I can't say im enjoying working on my blackjack and some of mechs I've retired until the LRMs are not OP since it would just thrash their statistics.

#342 D1G17AL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 21 May 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Yeah it's not a damage thing. I'm still not breaking 500 damage often. It's just where it's all going.

Though...after playing a few games...it's really not as bad as I first thought.

Contrary to what some people are saying, they do not go over every single piece of terrain that isn't huge. They still get stopped quite a bit.

Holding a good lock is still as big a pain as it has been.

And it really comes down too...if people are stupid and wander around in the open for 30 seconds, they are going to die.

But that will happen with any weapon.

I feel the same. I feel that the times where I've gotten "stomped" is when I ran out into the field of fire of taggers and lrm boats.

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 21 May 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I've alsp noticed, the battles are not as mundane as PPC Sniping/Ridge Humping/Poptarting. A lot more movement and adjusting as people try to avoid hits.

I think half the problem is people were so ready to get away from the PPC meta, that they jumped on the LRM train. I think we'd be having a ton of complaining even without the splash/trajectory issues.

Because A] no one carries AMS, B] people forgot how to play against LRM's (this is why I always did ok even before todays patch), and C] People are lazy

I'll go for C People are lazy. Having to run away and into adequate cover is too hard for some people.

View PostJeremy Wade, on 21 May 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

LRMs are fine now.

People have just got used to walking around in the open without even carrying AMS for the last two months or being able just jump up and down on the spot because people stopped equipping LRMs.

Now LRMs are back and people are still doing the above only they seem unable to comprehend why doing the above is getting them killed.

The additional factor contributing to more LRM deaths is that lights are far more likely to not engage in mass brawls with the new legging speed rules, so they are now starting to do what they should have been doing from the start which (which some of us light pilots were doing all along) and are now spotting and tagging and keeping priority enemy targets locked because ever since a couple of patches ago you can see when a unit has missiles incoming onto them, only back then it wasnt much use to anyone because everyone had largely stopped carrying LRMs.

The tears of people who forgot they weren't able to run around open spaces or needed to pack AMS two months ago are delicious.

Simply quoted for truth.

View PostKilo 40, on 21 May 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

the amount of entitlement oozing out of this thread is simply amazing.

But the numbers of people who don't seem to understand that this game is beta, and WE are the testers, is even more amazing.

and on a side note, the people who say "nameofweapon warrior online", you guys are just...pathetic.

I hate it when people say LRMWarriorOnline or PPCWarriorOnline. Seriously guys, you get a little roughed up by one particular weapon and you start to overreact faster than phosphorous hitting oxygen.

#343 Theer

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostLeoTib71, on 22 May 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Just quitting the game till this is fixed.

I have to make this too. Its impossible now to play any mechs. Lasers are useless, SRMs are useless, AutoCannons are useless, flank maneurs useless too! Its about 10-15 secs to die in assault mech if u spotted by opposing team, covers is not cover at all, u cant hide, u cant run, its just a kind of joke from devs.
Ah, and my PREMIUM is passes while i cant play... :(

#344 D1G17AL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostTheer, on 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

I have to make this too. Its impossible now to play any mechs. Lasers are useless, SRMs are useless, AutoCannons are useless, flank maneurs useless too! Its about 10-15 secs to die in assault mech if u spotted by opposing team, covers is not cover at all, u cant hide, u cant run, its just a kind of joke from devs.
Ah, and my PREMIUM is passes while i cant play... :(

Then fight against it. And play better.
Those items aren't useless. Examine your tactics.
Try harder don't blame everything on one weapon being a little stronger.

#345 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Well, I've played a few matches now, and yes, when you encounter the 4 Stalker LRMboat team, its painful. But no more so than coming across the 4 Stalker PPC Team, or the 4 Stalker Large Laser Team. One of the matches I was in, our team had one Missile boat, and the opposing team had three, and yet we still won. So no, Gauss, Autocannons, Lasers, PPCs, None of these weapons have been made obsolete by LRMs. Yes, LRMs are broken at the moment, but the Devs have ACKNOWLEDGED THIS! The SPLASH BUG is still in game. Once that is fixed, all the poptarts will be able to start lolhopping around again oneshotting anything below 50 tons. And then the QQ will go back to PPCs and Gauss like it has been since the LRM nerf in March. I just hope they don't nerf the damage and flight speed, otherwise LRMs will once again be useless, and I may as well go try out that CoD game everyone keeps talking about, so I can have more Snipefests.

#346 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

IMO, the damage is spot on where it is. You still can't really tear up anything unless your launching 40+ missiles w/ artemis. My AWS-8T with a pair of lrm 20A's averages 400-600 a match with only 4ML as backup weapons. I really don't 1v1 kill anything with the missiles though, not enough damage to really push it over unless I'm literally hammering w/ the medium lasers.

Honestly its the stalker that can load 70 lrm's up, or 6 ppc's and **** everything. Honestly whoever thought to add the stalker to MWO should be shot because it is THE mech to boat anything, except ballistics but 40+ damage from ppc's or 63 from 70 LRM's is crazy.

NERF THE STALKER!

Oh and please leave the LRM damage as is, just fix the flight path and splash.

Edited by Alekzander Smirnoff, 22 May 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#347 Laserkid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationRural Southern Illinois

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

You're all nuts...going into the open...getting spotted and TAGed and you all are complaining about indirect fire weps wrecking you day. WTF, hug the nearest ECM atlas today!

#348 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I can not belive the shitstorm about LRM where poeple post stuff that does not happen ingame...i am so sorry your Cangaroo Assault Poptarting Meta is gone and the game has a better and more fun gameplay now.

As fixes are incoming soon ****!

Edited by Thorqemada, 22 May 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#349 merz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

apparently 'fun gameplay' is ******** bugged-splash guided weapons that come down in straight vertical.
SKILLLLL BRO

#350 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Granted this evidence is largely anecdotal, but in the handful of games I played last night there was a marked difference to the ones on Tuesday. LRMs were around, but there was an awful lot less spam. Virtually no pop tarters either. Also, there was a nice balance of mech weights with the majority being middle weight mediums and heavies. All of this resulted in one of the best brawls between a half dozen mechs at Kappa on a TD conquest game I've had in a little while.

I think this is largely to do with AMS making a big come back, but there just seemed to be like a much bigger diversity of different mechs and builds, instead of the usual cheesey rubbish.

(My KD and WL hovers around 1, btw, so maybe my averageness is making things more varied?)

#351 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Ok after playing awhile I realized LRM's are not as bad as the chicken little's on here would have you believe. It needs a small tweak to flight path but otherwise it needs to be a formidable weapon. I've been running my Yen Lo Wang all over the place and LRM's quite honestly have not been as vicious as I was led to believe. My main problem at the moment is a strange but major disconnect issue which makes LRM issue pretty minor.

From what I have seen most people have figured out just use the terrain and then close in fast on LRM boats. After that they have to rely on actually shooting you :(

#352 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

All I can say is that I played 10 games with my corp yesterday, 8vs8 mode only and we won 9 of them. We had 2 light spotters (Raven+Jenner), 4 LRM boats, 2 jump snipers.
We used seismic sensors to locate the enemy and when we found them grouped together we launched UAV. 45 seconds is enough for 4 LRM boats to destroy any enemy. First we took care of enemy ECM and then it only took some TAG work to finish the rest.
One team managed to rush our base with 5 assault mechs on caustic. Too bad they were not able to destroy my Jenner while I was running round the extractor. Two of them even powered down to avoid being tagged. Too bad I had BAP...

Posted Image

#353 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Well...LRM seems to be hellishly OP now if you read it from forum and don't think any more of it. But if one really thinks 'bout it, this becames to another view.

Yes, LRMs are a bit broken right now for 3 reasons.
1. When shooted indirect fire to spotter delivered target, drop angle is somewhat hilarious.
2. Artemis gives grouping bonuses even when shooted outside LOS.
3. Splash damage bug is still around.

All those points are true, no doubt about it. BUT those don't make this situation no where near LRMgeddon as claimed here & there everywhere.

It's just amazing how fast people forgets days past. When LRMs were nerfed on march, situation was that one salvo by 2*LRM20 equalized one kill. Or "90deg bug", similar behaviour as one salvo one kill.
THOSE were LRMgeddon, and even playing with those was not fun 'cause everyone died no matter situation.
So right now we are not near those days, to me this is not worth hotfixing the issue. Next tuesday is soon enough...

But what really is going on with players who complain 'bout LRMs, is that because LRMs were nerfed for so long time, they have totally forgot how to deal with them. They have ripped off AMS from their mechs and used tonnage to other means, walk in the open cause for months only real threat has been non-lockable direct fire avoidable by manuvering etc.
No wonder they get killed, and deserve it :)

But please Paul and other codemonkeys, I'm pegging you here and now.
When you adjust "complex" weapons like missiles, do it in smaller pieces. For starters just speed buff would have been enough and would have limited amount of QQ...maybe. Don't **** to your own shoe trying to get the moon out of the sky.
Prettyplease again.

Me

PS. GIve X5 ability to install AMS, and move DDC's ECM to center torso while u are at it. In side torso, its 2 slots of waisted space in CT and limits useable missile systems in LT. Atlas should be baddest & hardest to kill MF on the battlefield no matter what, and any extra limitation of it's weaponary and survivability is unexcuseable.

Same ******* as b4 :ph34r:

Edited by VXJaeger, 23 May 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#354 Ras187

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostSheraf, on 22 May 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

You don't speak for everyone. LRM is fine as it is now, not everyone has problem with it you know :)

lol no they are not fine, Not even close,,,,, Pfff

Try not to have Stupid ******** Tunnel vision. They are NOT FINE. when u can kill a Assault in 2 vollyes Thats what happen when u change 4 things at the same,,,, FACEPALM

Edited by Ras187, 22 May 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#355 hoverstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

If it is a LRM boat, just try to close in, and pop out, within the 180 range. You can easily destroy those boats.

*Ok, first you need suppression fire, then you move in, and destroy it. Doesn't that all sound fun? More teamwork would be needed! More specific roles should be played by different class of mechs?

Yes, they are OP right now. That's a fact most of us will agree on. But I would say that they are pretty close to what they are suppose to be.

Fix:

1. The true cover (should be working as a cover). Cause they aren't really working as covers now
2. Spread out the damage when the missiles impact, and not just focusing on the CT.

With those 2 changes applied, the lrms would be pretty close to where i think they should be.

Edited by Eirikr Sim, 22 May 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#356 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 21 May 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

The whole point is this counters pop-tarting. People will complain about it a lot, because of that.

So let me make this plea, Paul: DON'T FIX THIS STUFF. LRMs are nowhere near OP right now and it is literally the first time I've found them potentially useful - and on closer review maybe even useful in serious 8 mans - since closed freaking beta (not counting the day of LRM nuking.)

LRMs if anything might need a slight buff from where they're at, not anymore nerfing. The fact they push serious CT damage when TAG'ed is a good thing. LRMs are now apart of the balance sea-saw keeping other ranged weapons in line.

Seriously the things you're considering "broken" has made them reach "usable."

DO NOT NERF LRMs IN THE NEXT PATCH!

NO thanks, right now the factor deciding who wins is who fields more TAGs and LRMs. The only way to beat it is to base rush with light mechs. (which I'm sure people will whine about if done ingame.) LRMs were already usable in the previous patch, but now they are horribly unbalanced compared to other weapons.

So please feel free to ignore the quoted statement, as it was clearly made by someone who knows nothing about game balancing.

#357 Lagster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

How about something different for LRMS: Just count how many missiles hit the mech, then randomly distribute the damage across the parts regardless of which part the missiles physically hit? This solution:

1) Is simple to implement.
2) Allows steep flight trajectories to bypass cover without CT coring issues.
3) Avoids unintended consequences such as (2), due to lack of dependence on where the missiles actually hit.
4) Would roughly simulate LRMs from TT.
5) Would play nice with NARC, TAG and Artemis as tighter grouping = more missiles hit without causing CT coring issues, allowing them to buff without running into (3).

I think trying to balance LRMs by messing with grouping, damage, splash, etc is just an overly complicated, roundabout way to try to achieve "here's a bunch of missiles thats just going to fly into your general direction and whatever hits, hits."

Sure, it might look a bit silly to see LRMs slamming into a mech's CT but damaging legs, but I'll take balance over a small visual detail like that any day. Anyway it's not like we get to aim our LRM flight paths anyway.

#358 hoverstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostLagster, on 22 May 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

How about something different for LRMS: Just count how many missiles hit the mech, then randomly distribute the damage across the parts regardless of which part the missiles physically hit? This solution:

1) Is simple to implement.
2) Allows steep flight trajectories to bypass cover without CT coring issues.
3) Avoids unintended consequences such as (2), due to lack of dependence on where the missiles actually hit.
4) Would roughly simulate LRMs from TT.
5) Would play nice with NARC, TAG and Artemis as tighter grouping = more missiles hit without causing CT coring issues, allowing them to buff without running into (3).

I think trying to balance LRMs by messing with grouping, damage, splash, etc is just an overly complicated, roundabout way to try to achieve "here's a bunch of missiles thats just going to fly into your general direction and whatever hits, hits."

Sure, it might look a bit silly to see LRMs slamming into a mech's CT but damaging legs, but I'll take balance over a small visual detail like that any day. Anyway it's not like we get to aim our LRM flight paths anyway.

There are definitely poeple who are gonna rage over... Why the hell are missiles doing damage on the legs though I am actually hitting the torsos?

#359 Lagster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostEirikr Sim, on 23 May 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

There are definitely poeple who are gonna rage over... Why the hell are missiles doing damage on the legs though I am actually hitting the torsos?

i thought about that, but it's not like we can aim where the LRMs go, so they cant say that "I was actually hitting the torsos and deserve to deal torso damage" cause any torso hits won't be due to their intention or skill, just the way the missiles were coded to fly. Which as we now can see causes many unforseen problems if hit location was taken into account for a homing weapon...

#360 Fenris

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hi PGI,

thank you for the clarification on the flightpath-issue and please don't get frustrated by the whining.

Imho LRMs are much better now and if we are able to take cover (flightpath) we should wait for the initial fuss to go away before nerfing them.

Nevertheless their might be a problem: the buff to ams work nicely with boated missles vs. lances with ams BUT a lrm 10 does not really seem viable (unless one drives a DDC or sth. like this and wants to be able to help defending against cappers). If that what you guys wanted to achieve then fine but it is not quite perfect.

Cheers
Fenris

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users