507 replies to this topic

#421 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Can Paul or someone tell us if the hotfix will also include the splash damage alteration as well as the arc adjustment?

#422 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have reserved comment on this so far, but I'm glad this hotfix has been prioritized. LRM's are broken right now, period. No other weapon can reliably core an assault mech in 4 to 5 shots from that kind of range (assuming 2 LRM 15's, current boats blow that away). Use cover - right, the trajectory changes negate most cover. Use AMS, great make that cored in 5 shots then. Move around - that doesn't really matter when some mech speeds are significantly below missile speeds now does it. While I agree that missiles need to be viable weapons, right now they are well over the top.

PGI hit the nail on the head, splash and flight path have turned missiles into something they were never intended to be. They require very minimal 'aiming' to actually hit their target, the penality for that was always (in TT) that some didn't hit and that hits were random. In MWO, we decided that having any missiles miss would be 'bad' but certainly they should not deliver concentrated damage - which right now they are.

For all those that claim others must 'learn to adapt', you need to re-read what PGI stated. Missiles are not performing as PGI intended them to perform. You might wish otherwise, but that's simply what PGI has told us.

#423 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Wanted to say thank you to PGI for making the effort to get the changes for LRM's into a hotfix for tomorrow. I appreciate you pushing this through!

#424 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

can't come soon enough. Good job PGI.

#425 deadlykleenex

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostMoenrg, on 23 May 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I have reserved comment on this so far, but I'm glad this hotfix has been prioritized. LRM's are broken right now, period. No other weapon can reliably core an assault mech in 4 to 5 shots from that kind of range (assuming 2 LRM 15's, current boats blow that away). Use cover - right, the trajectory changes negate most cover. Use AMS, great make that cored in 5 shots then. Move around - that doesn't really matter when some mech speeds are significantly below missile speeds now does it. While I agree that missiles need to be viable weapons, right now they are well over the top.

PGI hit the nail on the head, splash and flight path have turned missiles into something they were never intended to be. They require very minimal 'aiming' to actually hit their target, the penality for that was always (in TT) that some didn't hit and that hits were random. In MWO, we decided that having any missiles miss would be 'bad' but certainly they should not deliver concentrated damage - which right now they are.

For all those that claim others must 'learn to adapt', you need to re-read what PGI stated. Missiles are not performing as PGI intended them to perform. You might wish otherwise, but that's simply what PGI has told us.

Now imagine being in a non-ECM light. On city maps, my entire game is "incoming missile" over and over again. So I can either run away and hide off in the boonies or I can try and, you know, scout or cap and contribute. Even post fix, the only mechs that can effectively scout or cap will be ECM capable mechs. So what role is envisioned for the 70% of lights and mediums that can't carry ECM? PS - Anybody that says carry AMS obviously hasn't actually tried taking an AMS on a light and seeing how ineffective it is.

Edited by deadlykleenex, 23 May 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#426 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

In response to

LRM flight path has had it's drop point moved back along the path by 23% when using indirect firing. Splash damage drastically reduced. Damage per missile and all other aspects have not been changed.

The flight path change makes it so that when you have indirect firing capabilities, the missiles don't come down at 80'ish degrees. They now come down between 60-70 degrees allowing you to take cover much easier. Stay out in the open and you're still going to feel the pain.

Perhaps NARC/TAG could preserve the original spotting angle as it is now, to give some added benefit for flanking and scouts if they utilize those systems in tandem with a team - LRMS are hardest to use in 8v8 premades anyhow, which are exactly where narc/tag scouts would shine as a team tactic. since TAG needs LOS and narc needs medium/short range it won't help the lrm boat clear cover alone, and at the same time it would make the scout have to work a lot harder and risk himself more than just sneaking up behind and getting a lock.

#427 Airborne Thunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFiddler's Green

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

I don't know why I even spend any money on this game. Before the patch LRMs sucked and after the patch they were awesome. I just spent 3 days farming C-bills to make an awesome LRM boat and tonight I hear "they are patching the patch tomorrow". The only thing a person can do is horde C-bills and hope that they get their balancing issues worked out. They really know how to frustrate their base.

#428 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

I'm happy this comes before the weekend. I was expecting to play this mess till tuesday. Fixing the flight path is exactly what is wrong with the LRMs. It means something to play smart again and use cover while advancing. I wasn't even bothered with the splash damage (cover = 0 splash damage)

#429 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 23 May 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

In response to

Perhaps NARC/TAG could preserve the original spotting angle as it is now, to give some added benefit for flanking and scouts if they utilize those systems in tandem with a team - LRMS are hardest to use in 8v8 premades anyhow, which are exactly where narc/tag scouts would shine as a team tactic. since TAG needs LOS and narc needs medium/short range it won't help the lrm boat clear cover alone, and at the same time it would make the scout have to work a lot harder and risk himself more than just sneaking up behind and getting a lock.

Hi,

this is excatly what i thought. But no one listens:

LRM and ECM to post patch state.
NARC disables ECM and like TAG gives the Spotter and LRMs this new high trajectory.
If i then die, then it was a real earned Death becaue the other team had
1. a real scout with Narc, Beagle, TAG, maybe ECM
2. a good Missile boat to deliver the damage.

All were fine and we had the team-play factor and over 50000 Credits for both LRM and Scout.

But this way, the fixing will go on and on. I promise you. They have elevated to many game mechanics, that is never good for a running System!

regards

#430 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostDamocles69, on 23 May 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Hot fix incomeing tomarrow!!!! hope you no skill lackies enjoyed your fun! back to the trash heap with you tomarrow

This is exactly how I imagine LRM bashers. I for my part hope they do not "fix" it for annother two months, like they did it the last time they broke LRM and nerfed them into oblivion.

#431 Prophanity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Good to know it's being resolved. I was wondering why my Jenner was taking an obscene amount of damage to the CT when missles were hitting me from behind.

#432 Psycho Pirate

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited States - Michigan

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

On one point the missles need splash damage toned back abit but on the other hand it works wonderfully if your in a spider or X-5 and have incoming missles and fighting an assault and hide under the mech all those missles hit their own people and tend to take out their own assaults getting them negative c-bills and points for killing their own team mates...works for me hehe.

#433 Osski

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSouth Lousiana, USA, baby!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 23 May 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Uh I just said I was doing the exact same thing pre-patch. Non-moving targets + Artemis = ALL CENTER TORSO DAMAGE.

Do you think I was killing mechs in 2 shots if it wasn't all going center torso?

Let me repeat, do not link training grounds videos as proof of anything.

Not to bicker like a lot of people like to needlessly bicker on forums, but I was just defending this dude against words like "really hate" and "fear mongering". I can imagine the dude was scheming in the shadows, rubbing his hands together, thinking to himself "this will really scare the hell out of them! Mwaha--mwaha-mwahahahaha!"

Sorry I don't hang on every word you say, bro. Maybe I skimmed what you said because I don't like your attitude.

Let me repeat. I said that I don't like your attitude.

#434 Twisted Power

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:20 AM

Hi from the ECM topic thread! All I have to say that you people complaining about LRMs are OBVIOUSLY the "vocal minority". As you can see that this topic contains only a fraction of the player base and since the rest of the community is not posting about it, missiles are obviously fine!

Now you jerks know how it feels. At least the fix with splash damage is only a few weeks away. It is not like ECM where they took 4 months to fix the problems.

#435 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

EDit: bah humbug didnt work.

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 24 May 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#436 Ikester

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...e__pid__2369593

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Posted Image
POPULAR
We are planning to push this fix out tomorrow. May 24th when we have our normal downtime for weekend specials.

#437 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 22 May 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

In BattleTech LRMs do not rule battlefield.
In BattleTech LRMs do 1.0 damage per missile not 2.0.
In BattleTech you are lucky if 30% of your LRMs hit.
In BattleTech you are lucky if you can take 400 LRMs with you.
In BattleTech you can't kill an assault mech with 2 volleys of LRMs.
In BattleTech LRMs don't chase you around buildings.
In BattleTech LRMs don't do orbital strikes.

Thats why BattleTech is fun to play and MWO is not.

Can I add there are no 6xPPC boats, and there is no pin point acurracy for ..any...weapon in Battletech there are no poptart sniper battles, there is punching, kicking, D.F.A. ...yes I just did

Other than that I do agree with you mostly, its just not the missile issue, but pretty much most combat,this was just another fail attempt to balance a game that been mostly broken since it came out of closed beta..

The missles chasing you around buildings made me chuckle, flash back to Benny Hill, and a little bald guy,being chased by alot of irrate Women Missiles

#438 Osski

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSouth Lousiana, USA, baby!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think it's actually pretty good except for the facts that

a. you can take cover and still get trounced by missiles because of the arc. I can't help but wonder if the devs would like for cover to be completely nullified when there is a spotter, even if you are flush against it, or what.

and b. the center torso splash damage.

These two things combined means that you can be behind cover and still be cored in the center torso, which is understandably pretty frustrating for a lot of folks.

Both of these things are noted as being tweaked, so I think the state of the game is moving forward in a positive direction. It's definitely nice to see a lot less "pop-tarting" and 6-ppc builds (though I've seen a few 3-LRM 20 builds in the last few days lol--it'll be nice to see less of that when these changes are reversed). The folks who can't wait 2 weeks for a fix to this, well, beta beta beta.

Edited by Osski, 24 May 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#439 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

So, what got patched? Arcs seem still high, damage seems low. Had a game already with ppc/laser stalkers and poptarts only.

#440 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

My opinion on the present hotfix:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2383590

In sum, rebalancing the numbers make absolutely NO SENSE when you are referencing a BROKEN BEHAVIOR which in this case is easy CT coring.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users