262 replies to this topic

#81 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Well if they ever add third person

it won't belong on that list anymore will it?

So since they are planning to add third person

I'd say it shouldn't be on there at all

huehuehue

#82 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 28 May 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

So.. about that PC Gamer news!

It was purchased and is therefore illegitimate.

#83 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostShumabot, on 28 May 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

It was purchased and is therefore illegitimate.

If it wasn't (and it does seem like they wouldn't necessarily have the cash to do so) that reflects even worse on the state of game "journalism".

#84 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

If it wasn't (and it does seem like they wouldn't necessarily have the cash to do so) that reflects even worse on the state of game "journalism".

They could absolutely afford it. It's one entry in one article that's only a few pages. They paid for a mention, they got a fraction of one page. They spend far more in facebook and google adverts.

#85 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Oh I get it. The old people only played games like pong in their childhoods, and then they were too busy with other things (including starting their careers, etc) during the golden years of gaming, and now they're just coming back to the gaming world.

#86 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Oh I get it. The old people only played games like pong in their childhoods, and then they were too busy with other things (including starting their careers, etc) during the golden years of gaming, and now they're just coming back to the gaming world.

No they just really, really like Battletech. This is a nostalgia and fandom thing. It's the same reasons star wars games always get a pass despite usually being objectively terrible.

#87 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#88 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

There is obviously money/favors changing hands when a game that's still supposedly heavy in development and incomplete snags a spot in the top 25 greatest of anything of all time. Honestly, there's nothing about MW:O that can be considered better than any of the previous iterations of Mechwarrior games except that the graphics are better. Honestly MW2 and GBL would be better candidates than MW:O, sorry to be blunt.

#89 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

You show me your gaming credentials and I'll show you mine.

#90 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Maybe IGN was assuming that the game wouldn't fold during development, and would manage to achieve a significant market presence? I mean, if this game gains a strong share when they have the main Social Campaign ready, they'll have the resources to add more "fun stuff" and the like later down the line. Solaris isn't a part of Game Launch, since it's not related to the Inner Sphere territory-capture metagame and not a "core" game feature needed for Official Launch... but a prosperous MW:O in 2014 might have Solaris as a feature... and that would be epic.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 28 May 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#91 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

So... Shooter, right? Wasn't it supposed to be "a tactical BattleMech simulation"? :)

#92 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostShumabot, on 28 May 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

It certainly is important to know how to edge up to that ridge and only display 8% of your stalker. Knowing when, and when not, to hold down space bar and click at someone once during the 2 seconds you are revealed is also vital. Timing those JJ snipers with the rest of your team to maximize damage to anyone foolish enough to ever leave their own cover is vital!

Varying ranges, oh that propaganda war! He's a funny guy!

You talk as though the current meta has been present since the start of the game, and I know you've been playing long enough to know better.

#93 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostVodrin Thales, on 28 May 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

You talk as though the current meta has been present since the start of the game, and I know you've been playing long enough to know better.

Before PPC spam it was SRM spam, before that it was LRM spam. There has never been a healthy and even keeled metagame. Is it really any better when people just load up their catapaults to 2 shot atlasses and 3Ls are effectively immortal because of year old bad netcode? They could get to a healthy place someday with the games balance, but so far that's been a totally unrealized dream. This game has yet to encourage "role warfare", most of the things he listed as being tactical aren't actually important to win or aren't really choices at all.

#94 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hmm...would think the FPS (Like COD, BF series..etc.) would be boring by now. Those kind are redundant, and frustrating. Still waiting for that Battletech/MechWarrior game, where we can walk into/out of our mechs. That thought of running around as a soldier, then a huge mech walks by thumping the ground, buildings, then trying to steal it.

Edited by VeeDog, 28 May 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#95 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 28 May 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Maybe IGN was assuming that the game wouldn't fold during development, and would manage to achieve a significant market presence? I mean, if this game gains a strong share when they have the main Social Campaign ready, they'll have the resources to add more "fun stuff" and the like later down the line. Solaris isn't a part of Game Launch, since it's not related to the Inner Sphere territory-capture metagame and not a "core" game feature needed for Official Launch... but a prosperous MW:O in 2014 might have Solaris as a feature... and that would be epic.

Fair enough... except they said best of all time....

As in, "They could stop developing right this very instant and it would still be better than the vast majority of shooter games ever made". Which is uh... not true.

If we're talking "has the potential to be one of the top 25 shooters of all time", heck, sure, why not. But currently? Come on now. Its still in beta.

Are they saying the PGI devs are SO AWESOME that their BETA trumps almost any other FINISHED shooter EVER MADE?

Really?

Because if that is the case, when this game is "released", they had better run a "BEST GAME OF ALL TIME" feature, with an entire special issue (triple thick, natch) being devoted to MW:O, because if its in the top 25 of all time in beta, once it is completed it should be like:

#96 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

What a joke, planetside 2 in third? No taste.

#97 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I'm a little curious: To those of you who think MW:O deserves a spot on the top 25 OF ALL TIME list: When were you born?

Seriously, I'm curious. It may just be a rose colored glasses thing, but I find it hard to believe that a game that is (aggressively said to be) still in beta is apparently better than the vast majority of other shooters EVER MADE.

It's certainly on my personal list, warts and all. Probably top 5 for me.

And I'm only going off the basis of how much time I've spent with it.

#98 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

#99 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, U.S

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think that if the apocalypse occurred at this moment, and developers were no longer able to create video games, that once cast into the great beyond, I would ask myself "I wonder how MWO would have turned out?"

The fact is if you are going to create a list that says "greatest anything of all time", you can't go back decades to find those "anythings". It's foolish to think that if you could go back in time, and take MWO with you, that most people wouldn't say "This game is waaaay better than <insert 80's/90's video game title here>.

No one now a days, in most age ranges, when asked to name the greatest band ever would say "Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians". Video games, just like music, have evolved with time. It's fine and dandy to feel the nostalgia of a game we played when we were younger, but do you honestly think that Doom 1 was a better game than MWO? If you can ignore the graphics in a game like Doom, how can you say anything bad about the graphics of MWO? This goes for most of the "issues" that follow MWO. I remember a time when taking a rocket launcher onto a map in any shooter was "cheese". Where was the balance back then? You know where it was? No one cared. That's where it was. We played when we were younger and didn't even see the bad graphics, hell, we thought those graphics were on par with reality (Mortal Kombat 1 anyone?).

And then there is, of course, the fact that MWO lore is deeper than most video games currently around. Many of us can see past "issues" because after we log off MWO, we pick up a BattleTech novel and continue our "adventure". I am currently reading "Way of the Clans", and it just feels like MWO all day every day for me. It's nice to have the lore in mind when piloting. It turns the game into that much more of a simulator.

As I've said previously, I don't think that it's the greatest game of all time, but it's certainly the greatest game of "now time" for me. And if I had to pick a spot for it based on what is currently on the market, I would have no problem placing it six spots from the bottom of the list, and that is with MWO being my current number one.

#100 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostKhan Reaper, on 28 May 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

I think that if the apocalypse occurred at this moment, and developers were no longer able to create video games, that once cast into the great beyond, I would ask myself "I wonder how MWO would have turned out?"

The fact is if you are going to create a list that says "greatest anything of all time", you can't go back decades to find those "anythings". It's foolish to think that if you could go back in time, and take MWO with you, that most people wouldn't say "This game is waaaay better than <insert 80's/90's video game title here>.

No one now a days, in most age ranges, when asked to name the greatest band ever would say "Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians". Video games, just like music, have evolved with time. It's fine and dandy to feel the nostalgia of a game we played when we were younger, but do you honestly think that Doom 1 was a better game than MWO? If you can ignore the graphics in a game like Doom, how can you say anything bad about the graphics of MWO? This goes for most of the "issues" that follow MWO. I remember a time when taking a rocket launcher onto a map in any shooter was "cheese". Where was the balance back then? You know where it was? No one cared. That's where it was. We played when we were younger and didn't even see the bad graphics, hell, we thought those graphics were on par with reality (Mortal Kombat 1 anyone?).

And then there is, of course, the fact that MWO lore is deeper than most video games currently around. Many of us can see past "issues" because after we log off MWO, we pick up a BattleTech novel and continue our "adventure". I am currently reading "Way of the Clans", and it just feels like MWO all day every day for me. It's nice to have the lore in mind when piloting. It turns the game into that much more of a simulator.

As I've said previously, I don't think that it's the greatest game of all time, but it's certainly the greatest game of "now time" for me. And if I had to pick a spot for it based on what is currently on the market, I would have no problem placing it six spots from the bottom of the list, and that is with MWO being my current number one.

How about if you took MWO back in a time machine along with Steel Battalion, Chrome Hounds, et al :)? Which one do you think they would pick then, hmmmmmmmm? Be honest.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users